Ne Provinces: Crisis Information Thread

toptuan

With the army's push into Red encampments this morning, we have news that a "sea of Reds" are "pouring" into Ubon Ratchathani as of 10:30 a.m. this morning, with the army based in positions around the city. See online article here, with pictures.

Up to now, the current unrest has been a "Bangkok problem," and most of us upcountry prefer it to stay that way. However, we won't know that for sure unless we stay informed.

I propose to TV'ers living in Isaan to use this thread as a clearing house of information to be able to stay on top of things closer to the "home front."

A few guidelines which may help this thread be of practical use:

1) Identify your province's name in the first word of your post in caps: e.g. "KHON KAEN"

2) If you are out and about, the most helpful locations to monitor might be provincial halls, city shrines or any central government-related installation which might be a magnet for protesters.

3) Please post only factual information here and try to steer away from rumor, conjecture, and voicing political opinions. If your information is second-hand, please be clear about your sources.

4) If there is already a long-running thread in this forum concerning your specific province (such as the current
") you may prefer to post there. However, please put a courtesy post/link on this thread to direct readers to that thread.

Hope this works to keep all of us better informed close to home.

Thank you,

TT

Edited by toptuan

KHON KAEN: Reds Raid City Hall 2010-05-19 12:02:37

As security officials tightened its blockade of red-shirt protesters in Bangkok, pockets of red-shirts in the provinces have begun to stir up chaos in their respective provinces. In Khon Kaen, a group of red-shirt protesters have managed to rain the province's City Hall. They are currently not yet able to proceed to the second floor of the building. There are riot control officials present at the scene (11.55 A.M.) but no action has been taken to neutralize the situation yet.

The protesters are demanding the government cease its operation and violence against the protesters in Bangkok.

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Source: TAN (Thai Asian News Network), posted on "Bangkok Red-Shirt Rally" thread at 12:02pm, Wed. 19 May

Edited by toptuan

MAHA SARAKHAM 1:30 pm

Reds gathering near clock tower, lining main avenue between Pradungaree School and Government Tax Office. About 50 Reds on the street and another 50-75 gathering in a shaded parking lot in front of tax office about 50 meters from the main gathering. Fire started in middle of street at 1:40 p.m.--small fire in traffic cone, while Reds yelled and applauded. City fire truck arrived to put out the fire.

No police or army in sight. The city certainly knows about the unrest due to fire truck (and two city pickups) being dispatched to scene to quench fire.

Checked out Provincial Hall, city hall, TOT main offices, SermThai Plaza area, banks. All show normal activity.

Source: Personal observation 12:30 pm - 1:40 pm, today, May 19

Red shirt crowd gathering on each side of main avenue.

post-21740-1274254814_thumb.jpg

post-21740-1274254784_thumb.jpg

City fire truck arrives to quench small fire set by reds.

post-21740-1274254482_thumb.jpg

Edited by toptuan

Talked to family in Mukdahan on the phone just now. They said fires burning at the big white government building near to the Ploy Palace. Can anyone confirm 100%?

I'm so sad for Thailand today. It hurts my heart. All the images and video we are seeing here in Canada are just shocking. All the streets I have walked so many times in Bangkok. Thirty minutes until curfew begins. I hope things calm down by sunrise.

When we were leaving at the end of February we were already hearing about trouble on the horizon.

Tony

UBON RATCHATHANI

UDORN THANI

KHON KAEN

MUKDAHAN

NAKHON RATHASIMA (KORAT)

Gutted provincial halls include Ubon Ratchananee, Nonthaburi, Udorn Thani, Khon Kaen, Mukdaharn and Nakhon Ratchasima. /via @top10thai

(Source)

Talked to family in Mukdahan on the phone just now. They said fires burning at the big white government building near to the Ploy Palace. Can anyone confirm 100%?

I'm so sad for Thailand today. It hurts my heart. All the images and video we are seeing here in Canada are just shocking. All the streets I have walked so many times in Bangkok. Thirty minutes until curfew begins. I hope things calm down by sunrise.

When we were leaving at the end of February we were already hearing about trouble on the horizon.

Tony

Tony,

There was a fire in the Provincial City Hall today, my brother and sister in law both work there, from my observations and from what I've heard from reliable sources is that the lower floor of just one building was badly damaged. It hasn't got out of hand here as there aren't the masses of red shirts that they have in Ubon, Khon Kaen. At this time there ae a lot of police and some army from Sakhon Nakon. Rumours are there will be a curfew from 9-00pm but I can't substantiate this. Tesco Lotus has shut and barricaded the entrance with trolleys .. I guess its precautionary. Hopefully things will be calmer tomorrow

14 red shirts shot in Khon Kaen, reports some are dead, no confirmation. There was video of the shooting played on local cable TV. Tesco was open, Big C, Makro, Central, Tops, were all closed. It seems all banks closed after the Bangkok Bank was attacked. Provincial Hall and Channel 3 are burned. Some 7/11s were open, some closed.

I went into Sisaket today, no sign of red shirts. But toured around a bit and all of the provincial buildings had all gates securely closed, at best only one open of many entrances. The police road checkpoints are still there, but it was all pretty normal.

Early to bed I suppose for the province with the Cerfew restrictions in place for tonight. Lets all hope that a good nights sleep and effectively a finish to the mayhem in BKK leads into at least a lapse in tension for a few days.

IMHO the next round could well be triggered once the BKK UDD leaders start to face the consequences of their failure/actions. Amazing Thailand indeed....

Isaanaussie