How Is The Currency Exchange Rate Effecting You?

honda99

Just wondering how is the strong baht affecting you or people that you know? do you know of people especially people who have lived for a while on a european pension that have had to return to there home country's or are thinking about it due to there currency's drastically falling day to day

The Baht should be at about 50 or 60 to $1 USD - like back in 1998 when Asian markets tanked. Thai Government controls the Baht and won't let this happen

uhh no they want the baht actually to be higher; 35 or more which actually helps investment into the country and exports from the country. They have been preventing it from dropping below 30 for a few years now.

The strong baht and the stock market crash have affected me,and in 7 years when i claim state pension and serps 2,my 80,000gbp probably will have nearly gone.This was the amount i was hoping to gain interest from to supplement my private pension.Would have still retired at 50 and had wonderful experiences in Thailand,but maybe not have dealt with stocks and shares.

Anyway the bottom line is i can still live here until i die whether thats in 1 day or 30 years.

The strong baht and the stock market crash have affected me,and in 7 years when i claim state pension and serps 2,my 80,000gbp probably will have nearly gone.This was the amount i was hoping to gain interest from to supplement my private pension.Would have still retired at 50 and had wonderful experiences in Thailand,but maybe not have dealt with stocks and shares.

Anyway the bottom line is i can still live here until i die whether thats in 1 day or 30 years.

After today's developments, I expect it will strengthen even more now :)

Lets hope so, mind you they shut the stock exchange today, but it still rose 0.21%

LOL! That was funny! :D

A play on a mirage is worth more than a play on reality in the land of the shadows. :D

No effect really as my stock and bond portfolio has more than doubled in the past year or so and that more than makes up for the 20 percent of so loss in exchange rate on my US dollars. :)

Plus the strong baht helps keep the cost of imported food-stuffs and imported oil down...thus saving me money. :D:D

"What's going up must come down" :

19 may 2005 49.93 ThB for 1 Euro

19 may 2006 48.33 "

19 may 2007 46.11 "

19 may 2008 49.37 "

19 may 2009 46.11 "

19 may 2010 38.86 "

Totally inconvenient, but "Hope makes Live".

Edited by luckyluke