What's Keeping The Taps On In Pattaya

FarangBuddha

Drove by the Maprachan reservoir yesterday and I don't think I have ever seen it as low...it was virtually empty. It looked like one could walk out to the middle of it and only be in knee deep water! But the weird thing is that the municipal water has been running pretty regularly for the last month...I just wonder how they are doing it? I recall in past years when the reservoir was much fuller there were extended periods of very little flow from the city water mains.

• Like 1

Mabprachan is far from the region’s only source of water. The city gets water from the Mabprachan, Banglamung, Saknok and Nong Klangdong reservoirs, which have a combined capacity of 6 billion cu. meters. It also purchases water from the Eastern Water Management and Development Co. Ltd. to supplement the reservoirs.

The Pattaya area needs 40 million cu. m. of water per year, and currently uses 140,000 cu. m. per day.

Higher-elevation areas east of Third Road and in Naklua, Pratamnak Hill and Roilang have experienced periodic water shortages, but these are due to pipe-size and pumping issues, not the Mabprachan water level.

Mabprachan is far from the region's only source of water. The city gets water from the Mabprachan, Banglamung, Saknok and Nong Klangdong reservoirs, which have a combined capacity of 6 billion cu. meters. It also purchases water from the Eastern Water Management and Development Co. Ltd. to supplement the reservoirs.

The Pattaya area needs 40 million cu. m. of water per year, and currently uses 140,000 cu. m. per day.

Higher-elevation areas east of Third Road and in Naklua, Pratamnak Hill and Roilang have experienced periodic water shortages, but these are due to pipe-size and pumping issues, not the Mabprachan water level.

Making entrepreneur dreams a reality

www.sunbeltasia.com

Thanks for such an informative post. I wonder if the other reservoirs are as empty as Mabprachan? This is the real issue regardless of their actual capacities, which I assume is measured when they are full? I ask this because prior to this year, where I live in Naklua we never had any real water issues but this year the town water has been turned off many more times than before, sometimes 2-3 days in a row. When the town water is running, it is merely a dribble whereas previously it came in at a reasonable pressure. Since this never happened before, it must be due to something new this year ie too many new hotels/condos connecting to mains or the water is running out?

As of mid-March, all area reservoirs combined were running at 55 percent capacity.

what's your opinion on that article then? were you the one who mentioned a week or so ago in another thread about how Mabprachan levels are normal as it was at this level around 3-4 years ago?

• 2 months later...

well, it seems to be filling up again, with the last few rains. Just wonder about the quality of the water, or how they are treating it. There is a lot of surface drain off from the roads and houses in the area, cant be all drinkable water, but it seems to even taste alright after treatment, and no smell.

...Just wonder about the quality of the water, or how they are treating it. There is a lot of surface drain off from the roads and houses in the area, cant be all drinkable water, but it seems to even taste alright after treatment, and no smell.

Yep...pretty amazing...especially when you consider that when the water's very low, I see bunches of cows out wandering about practically in the middle of the reservoir...and doing what it is that cows do after they eat and drink...and I'm not talking methane-bombs :bah:

Edited by FarangBuddha

Mabprachan is far from the region's only source of water. The city gets water from the Mabprachan, Banglamung, Saknok and Nong Klangdong reservoirs, which have a combined capacity of 6 billion cu. meters. It also purchases water from the Eastern Water Management and Development Co. Ltd. to supplement the reservoirs.

[/quote

When I use my calculator 140,000 cu m per day times 365 equals 51,100,000 cu m per year so where does this 40 million number come from? Am I wrong here?