Windows98/office97 - Thai Version

Nakrob

Just bought a second hand laptop from my company in Australia which I intend to give to my Thai gf next month when back in Thailand. The PC is set up with Windows 98 and has office 97 installed.

I want to get the relevant software so that she can type in Thai script, shes a teacher.

I'll be calling in to Pantip as soon as i arrive in BKK but has anyone any experience of converting a western software running PC to run/display Thai software?

I'm assuming that I wil need to buy a Thai version of Windows 98 and Office 97 and also a Thai keyboard. Anything else that I may need?

Guest IT Manager

You dont need to install win98 Tahi but it makes it easier for help files and such like.

Office 97 Thai is available at Panthip, just ask around, also if it's running 98, upgrade to 98SE Thai. Get a bootable upgrade disk should be fairly smooth. Set up is in English so you can do that.

Get a good antivirus program on it, becasue love her or not, floppies from school will go on it and it will get infested. Thai school = virus.

Use VET from www.vet.com.au or you can get the same thing from Computer Associates. Super easy to manage and works in the background. If you are kee nio get the free one off the net, which name I forget but will post when I remember.

As the doc says (what do you do with your time), you can buy keyboard stickers with Thai letters. They should be 179 baht. I have seen (I am not recommending), Win98SE Thai at 130 baht, and Office 97 Thai same and do use the Thai version, becasue it has Thai Justification which she will definitely need.

Hope it helps.

:o