Tourist Visa Changed To Multi Entry

:o if my wife and i come over to thailand on a 60 day tourist visa and then decide we want to stay and live in thailand...can we go to immigration and ask them for a multi-entry OA visa.....we are both over 55....my wife is thai and also a u.s.citizen..

we have enough money in an account with the bangkok bank....also i receive a retirement check every month.....thanks for the help....thaistyle

:o if my wife and i come over to thailand on a 60 day tourist visa and then decide we want to stay and live in thailand...can we go to immigration and ask them for a multi-entry OA visa.....we are both over 55....my wife is thai and also a u.s.citizen..

we have enough money in an account with the bangkok bank....also i receive a retirement check every month.....thanks for the help....thaistyle

No... The Non Imm OA would have to be applied for seperately, and applied for outside of Thailand.

More info here... Retirement Visa (O-A)

totster :D

You only need one retirement (long stay) visa to cover you both if legally married (even if not Thai) but as said the O/A type can only be obtained in your country of residence. What you can do however, is to change your tourist visa (one) to a single entry non immigrant visa and then after 60 days (perhaps sooner if stars are in right position) apply for an extension of stay/retirement visa.

Your wife obviously should use her Thai passport to enter Thailand to avoid visa conditions.

Be sure to set up a wire transfer agreement with your bank so that you can get funds here without making a trip home later.

You also could use the support Thai wife long stay visa which would only require 400k baht per year.

As totster says, the OA would have to be obtained in the US. But you can convert a tourist visa to a Non Imm 'O' for purposes of applying for a retirement extension -- at least some have done this in the past, and only in Bangkok, as I recall. And as you already have a bank account established in Thailand, plus a retirement income, I wouldn't think you'd have any problems.

To eventually get the extension, you'll need a medical certificate and Embassy/Consulate certification of your retirement pay (if you have 800,000bt in the bank, you *may* not need to show a certified income statement -- but many have commented here that Immigration likes to see proof of income, even when your bank account meets the criteria). Also, I don't know whether you need medical et al to convert tourist visa to a Non Imm 'O' -- or only when you finally apply for an extension based on retirement. But certainly you'll chat with Immigration ahead of time to see exactly what 't's' you need to cross.

Since wife is Thai, it would be cheaper -- and easier -- if she has a current Thai passport, as she then won't have to do this annual Immigration extension drill. And travelling between Thailand and the States, using both Thai and US passports, is doable (search this Forum). But if she only has a US passport, she can extend her stay here based on being a Thai National (born here), without all the hoopla you'll need as a farang (but it will still cost the same as you for extension and re-entry stamps).

So, don't forget to bring a copy of your retirement pay statement with you -- should you decide to hang around awhile.

You only need one retirement (long stay) visa to cover you both if legally married (even if not Thai) but as said the O/A type can only be obtained in your country of residence. What you can do however, is to change your tourist visa (one) to a single entry non immigrant visa and then after 60 days (perhaps sooner if stars are in right position) apply for an extension of stay/retirement visa.

Lop, how do the mechanics of 'one visa, two married people' work? If only 'he' has an O-A visa, how does Immigration deal with 'she' at Don Muang? (Or has MFA issued 'her' an O-A visa too based on his application?) Also, for annual extensions, does she need medical -- and does she pay for and get the same extension and re-entry stamps as 'he?' (presumably yes, but if no visa in her passport obviously 'his' visa and a marriage certificate would seemingly need to be involved(?)).

I just can't visualize entering Don Muang as a couple, but with only 'he' having an O-A visa?

Just curious.

But as he is married to a Thai he can get away with 400,000 instead of 800,000 baht

True, but if retirement criteria can also be met, this might be the way to go. First, it appears Immigration often gives 'same day' turnarounds for extensions based on retirement, while support extensions mean 'come back in 40 days.' Also, no family photos or police visits to neighbors with the retirement option. Finally, should Thai wife die, no hassle involved with new status as 'widower with no-longer-valid support extension.' ('tho I'm sure Immigration wouldn't deal harshly in this situation; but I don't know what happens if new widower doesn't qualify under the retirement criteria......?).

Since your'e in good shape financially,and have a retirement check to boot,Id forget about the tourist visa and go for multi OA based on retirement at the nearest Thai Consulate,Just my 2 cents,the Harpman :D

Lop, how do the mechanics of 'one visa, two married people' work? If only 'he' has an O-A visa, how does Immigration deal with 'she' at Don Muang? (Or has MFA issued 'her' an O-A visa too based on his application?) Also, for annual extensions, does she need medical -- and does she pay for and get the same extension and re-entry stamps as 'he?' (presumably yes, but if no visa in her passport obviously 'his' visa and a marriage certificate would seemingly need to be involved(?)).

I just can't visualize entering Don Muang as a couple, but with only 'he' having an O-A visa?

Just curious.

She will be provided a category O non immigrant visa but suspect extension will have to take place inside Thailand using spouse O/A as documentation but am not sure. Anyone gone this route who can provide a play by play?