8239 Baht Electricity Bill For 2 Bedroom Shophouse?

Aurelia

this isn't exactly rocket science.

oddly enough, when i lived in canada heat cost money as well.

Heat is free and plentiful year round in Thailand. Maybe Thailand should bottle it and export it to Canada. The Finance Ministry could then put out another press release about Thailand's ever expanding GDP (or would that just be more hot air). :)

haha :D

Over the last 6 months you may have noticed it has become a tad warmer outside on average, meaning your air conditioners have to work quite a bit harder to keep up.

But to be sure no one is leeching from you:

1) Switch off everything and see if your meter is still moving

2) Switch off the mains breaker and see who comes complaining / what other places surrounding you suddenly get dark...

Good idea,if that doesn't work the OP should move to a new apartment.

Your getting ripped off. There is no way you should be paying that much. I have a fair sized house with 3 aircons (one used 8-9hrs/day), big fridge, big fan that's on 12hrs + a day for the dogs, 3 big water pumps used a lot, 3 computers that are on a lot and I pay 2300 baht this month, the last 6 months its ranged between 1900-2300B/month due to the heat.

I also have an internet cafe with 2 aircons that are on 12+hrs/day, 44 computers (cafe always is 60%+ full and weekends mostly full) and I pay around 12000-15000B/month. So 1 person paying 8000B+/month is crazy if you ask me. Someone is getting a free ride that's for sure. You need to hire an electrician to do some investigating!!!!!

Interesting that you mention that, Rhino. My wife has a medicine shop with an internet cafe in the back (8pc's), with an Atm outside using our electricity. The bank pays a reasonable price to us to cover electricity(we believe). We had the meter changed by electric co. because we couldnt believe the increases in our bills. The increases did not coincide with the installation of the atm, but did begin months after it was installed. We are at 5000-6200B/mo. now. We have 3 floors, 3 a/c units. One occasionally runs in the shop when the humidity climbs, but a majority % of the time remains off. The bedroom a/c we use every night except for the rainy season, the 3rd is in a spare bedroom for guests that rarely gets used. We have a total of 9 ceiling fans. The 4 in the medicine/internet shop used 14 hours a day, 2nd floor fan used at night to circulate air, 3 on the top floor used 8 hrs a night for the same reason. We are good at practice of shutting everything else off we are not using. Also have one large kitchen refrigerator, shower water heater used only in the cool season, and propane cooking. I'd be interested in your appraisal of our situation here. I like the suggestions posted. The wife agrees that we should have an independant electrician check things out. Phone, internet and cable tv bills are as expected.

Just to give some input from another scenario.... :):D

I'm in a small studio apartment/room/bedsit.

A/C on 24 hours a day for a month continually, very rarely switched off. Often running with the patio door wide open too.

All cooking done in a microwave including heating up water for drinks etc.

17" Computer on 15-24 hours a day.

Big emptyish fridge on number 2 constantly.

Laundry done by hand using hot shower water.

T.V. on 3-4 hours a day.

Fan often running.

Just had my biggest monthly bill so far and this month it's 2200 baht.

I'm thinking thats not bad at all.

And as for her being chummy with ... I bet she is!!! :D

Im wondering why you're trying to wear out your appliances. :D

Just to give some input from another scenario.... :):D

I'm in a small studio apartment/room/bedsit.

A/C on 24 hours a day for a month continually, very rarely switched off. Often running with the patio door wide open too.

All cooking done in a microwave including heating up water for drinks etc.

17" Computer on 15-24 hours a day.

Big emptyish fridge on number 2 constantly.

Laundry done by hand using hot shower water.

T.V. on 3-4 hours a day.

Fan often running.

Just had my biggest monthly bill so far and this month it's 2200 baht.

I'm thinking thats not bad at all.

And as for her being chummy with ... I bet she is!!! :D

Im wondering why you're trying to wear out your appliances. :D

They're not my appliances. :D:D

i just moved into a large studio for 8K a month with free aircon/elec/water/cleaning/soap/toiletries etc

i keep it so cold in here i dont need to keep my beers in the refridgerator :)

also i had a 1 year contract w hutch cdma evdo and it expired 3 months ago

and i was never billed more, it still works fine, its like they just forgot about me lol