Air Asia Cabin Lugggagge

The official policy is seven kilograms and one bag per passenger.

However, my experience has been that this rule is not always enforced.

Agree for Swampy, I often take 10+ kg on hand carry. Not sure about other airports. In KL-LCCT they have full control of the terminal, so I will be more careful.

In the Philippines, both PAL as well as Cebu Pacific check (weigh) your hand-luggage at check-in. no chance for any extra kilo. you will get a tag on ur hand-luggage to mark it as "weight-checked". otherwise you will not be able to board the departure area.

In Singapore, TIGER has almost full control over the Budget-terminal. Before you enter the departure area, there is a checkpoint where their fierce-looking staff will monitor the passengers, and if something is looking suspicious or too heavy, it will be weighed on the spot. if its too heavy, u have to go back outside and pay excess fees. very strict. in Indonesia, the rules are still more relaxed, and that includes the AirAsia flights.

Jetstarasia allows 10 KG hand-luggage on their South-East-Asian network, incl. BKK-SIN

Edited by siam2007

Flew BKK to Penang a couple of days ago (Wednesday) and had exactly the same experience; both my wife and I checked in on-line with just hand luggage and while we didn't weigh our bags, I'm certain both were over the 7 kg mark- mine by quite a way I'd guess. However, both our bags can easily fit inside the demo frames they have to check your luggage dimensions at check-in and don't look overly big or awkward.

The oddest thing we've seen with Air Asia is at LCCT in Kuala Lumpur. At security before taking the escalators up to passport control/immigration, the staff ask to see passports and boarding cards and also to check some of the passengers' luggage for weight/size. Showing our UK passports, we've never been stopped to date and that's now two years of constant travel with AA.

Flew BKK to Penang a couple of days ago (Wednesday) and had exactly the same experience; both my wife and I checked in on-line with just hand luggage and while we didn't weigh our bags, I'm certain both were over the 7 kg mark- mine by quite a way I'd guess. However, both our bags can easily fit inside the demo frames they have to check your luggage dimensions at check-in and don't look overly big or awkward.

The oddest thing we've seen with Air Asia is at LCCT in Kuala Lumpur. At security before taking the escalators up to passport control/immigration, the staff ask to see passports and boarding cards and also to check some of the passengers' luggage for weight/size. Showing our UK passports, we've never been stopped to date and that's now two years of constant travel with AA.

Not escalator, travelator, but yes, that has been the practice for years now.

I just keep my backpack on at checkin, never a problem, never asked to weigh it.

Was stopped at security one time, a bottle of duty free, just ran back and put it in the hold.

Viva, Air Asia

They had the scales out at the boarding gate at Swampy on my flight

to Guangzhou last night. A few obvious offenders appeared to be

cautioned? as there wasnt too much grief and no money changing

hands. A daypack on your back seems to draw the least attention...

Edited by ThunderDuck

They weighed my bag at check-in (I was hand carrying it) and let em know that they could if they weighed it at boarding charge me (i think) 80 Baht per Kg, that's not over but total do if you had 10kg they could charge you 800 baht. Luckily they didn't weigh it at boarding, else I would have simply opened it up and put extra clothes on.