Where Is The Best Meal Deal In Town?

SamSipEt

Saturday had a free BBQ at The Olde Bell – no minimum spend on drinks – free – the GF loved it :-) Probably to be repeated by both them and us :D

Sunday popped into Tuskers and had chilli con carne (with a topping of cheese and sour cream) on a bed of rice for 100 baht. One of the best chillies I’ve had in a long time. They have a range of dishes to choose from all at 100 baht. Combine this with the cheap drinks on Friday for a great evening :)

Today, Monday, out and about looking for a deal and who knows what I’ll find? The range of great farang food deals seems to be wide spread. Where and what is your favourite?

• Replies 163
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

My gf and I had dinner a couple of times at S-cape (formerly known as Sportsbar). It's on ChangKlan road opposite the nigthbazar building on the 4th(?) floor (take escalators up).

Great western food for a very low price. Haven't seen this quality for that low of a price in CM yet. If I would compare to i.e. Riverside, then quality is same/better but the price is significantly lower.

I am pretty sure that beer is about THB 60 per small bottle and other spirits are also quite cheap.

The atmosphere is nice, relaxed and western style. Sauces are brand named (Heinz ketchup, Dijon mustard etc.) not the cheap "imitations". :D

I also love the pies in the UN Irish Pub, big meal for not much. :)

Hungry now.... :D

My gf and I had dinner a couple of times at S-cape (formerly known as Sportsbar). It's on ChangKlan road opposite the nigthbazar building on the 4th(?) floor (take escalators up).

Great western food for a very low price. Haven't seen this quality for that low of a price in CM yet. If I would compare to i.e. Riverside, then quality is same/better but the price is significantly lower.

I am pretty sure that beer is about THB 60 per small bottle and other spirits are also quite cheap.

The atmosphere is nice, relaxed and western style. Sauces are brand named (Heinz ketchup, Dijon mustard etc.) not the cheap "imitations". :D

I think the former Sports Bar is now closed for re-furbishment (changing into a Live music venue). BTW - most people here think 60 baht for a small beer is extortionate, unless it includes a free ego massage.

The deals at Olde Bell (free or free with a small minimum drinks order) are as good as you'll find, but he probably would like to see you on other nights too.

Yeah, I know they are redesigning the place. Could become a nice one.

THB 60 for a beer in a nice european style environment is pretty ok. If I want a cheap beer, I go to the local Thai shop and drink at home.

The thread is asking for The best meal deal in town and I thought, and think, the S-cape is it :D

I am not talking FREE food here, but best meal deal also considering the quality of the produce used and the taste of it compared to what I pay....

If ONLY price would be an option, then I'd go to my local Thai food stall and order THB 10 sticky rice and have a full stomache.

Although to be honest, I just came back from the Mac Donalds and had a double Big Mac today :):D Didn't have one in a looong time so suited me fine today :D

Edited by wehugheog

To the OP,

I knew about the Olde Bell doing 'free' buffet if you spend so much on drinks (250baht?), but I wasn't aware of the unconditional free buffets. Do people go to such places and order, say a Coke, and fill their boots on food? I wonder how many return when the freebies aren't on. Interesting idea to build up business, but not so if too many Freeloaders turn up for the freebies, and don't become regulars.

I would suggest Pratties behind rimping on the highway. Good food, very clean and not expensive by any means. No alcohol served as far as I know but I'm sure we all can manage at least one meal without beer lol. Breakfast is very good as is the Lasagne!

U.N. Has always been good as well in my opinion and not really that expensive considering the quality.

If all else fails and you can't be bothered to travel ... 1112 always delivers the goods :)

I think the former Sports Bar is now closed for re-furbishment (changing into a Live music venue). BTW - most people here think 60 baht for a small beer is extortionate, unless it includes a free ego massage.

The deals at Olde Bell (free or free with a small minimum drinks order) are as good as you'll find, but he probably would like to see you on other nights too.

how does this bar play live music until .....am ... we've just had to pay the police? ? ? ,and are still doing so ...must be suckin' a bigger c..k than me ?? was gonna put a smiley face on next , but i'd be lyin' !

how does this bar play live music until .....am ... we've just had to pay the police? ? ? ,and are still doing so ...must be suckin' a bigger c..k than me ?? was gonna put a smiley face on next , but i'd be lyin' !

What about one of these?

:D:):D:D:D

and you could sign of with this  :D

I would suggest Pratties behind rimping on the highway. Good food, very clean and not expensive by any means. No alcohol served as far as I know but I'm sure we all can manage at least one meal without beer lol. Breakfast is very good as is the Lasagne!

U.N. Has always been good as well in my opinion and not really that expensive considering the quality.

If all else fails and you can't be bothered to travel ... 1112 always delivers the goods :)

I refuse to eat in a place called, Pratties.

Really? I mean, really? £1.30 for a beer in a pub = extortion. Is your statement indicative of:-

i) Expats in CM; or

ii) Expats in CM that use Thaivisa?

I don't know one single person in Chiang Mai, expat or local, that would consider 60 Baht for a beer in a bar/pub to be extortionate. That may say more about my peer group than the price of the beer, but even so I am honestly intrigued to hear whether your statement is true or rather just your opinion...

If you take the quality of the "beer" into concideration, 60B small bottle is high, if the place is nice or there is entertainment then thats an ok price. I think Darets is good deal for some farang food. They make a great club sandwich for 60B. Their beer prices are very cheap, last I checked the dreaded beer Chang was 50 for the large bottle.

If all else fails and you can't be bothered to travel ... 1112 always delivers the goods :D

Erm ...... OK? :)

Is it just me or does it seem this topic quickly became a bit off-topic?

This is the way of things. It is said that when the universe starts contracting again, time will reverse and things will then progress from a chaotic state towards becoming more and more organized. So by that time on Thaivisa the topics will start out on page 68 talking about nipple stickers on gogo girls, and then progress to the initial post asking about the best pet grooming salon in Chiang Mai.

Edited by WinnieTheKhwai

Back on topic then :).

Spankys is a favourite of mine if I want farang food. Thin sliced hot roast beef sarnies, meatball subs e.t.c all for a very reasonable price. The owner is a nice bloke too. Don't know the name of the road but it is on the road that T junctions into the road that Las Vegas is on. The area around Tuskers and the Princes Hotel.

Cheers,

Pikey.

Really? I mean, really? £1.30 for a beer in a pub = extortion. Is your statement indicative of:-

i) Expats in CM; or

ii) Expats in CM that use Thaivisa?

I don't know one single person in Chiang Mai, expat or local, that would consider 60 Baht for a beer in a bar/pub to be extortionate. That may say more about my peer group than the price of the beer, but even so I am honestly intrigued to hear whether your statement is true or rather just your opinion...

A little bit of poetic licence maybe, but there are indeed plenty of people in Chiang Mai (and possibly people who post here) who would complain about 60b for a small Leo/Singha. The rant usually goes along the line of "60B for a small one!!! I can get a big one for 39baht in the village .... 3 for 100..... rip-off tourist trap .... I live here.... Thai people wouldn't ......  ". It's quite interesting to watch.

For those that think this is off-topic, it's not. I think it's fair to assume that the same people that are looking for free buffets and good deals may think 60B for a small beer is expensive. Wehugeog did say that 60b for a small beer is quite cheap, but not everyone would agree with that. I think it's a fair price, possibly a little bit cheap for that particular establishment.

Why? I've never been there but its right near my house. I've heard from a few people that the food is very good there. Does it matter what the name is?

Why? I've never been there but its right near my house. I've heard from a few people that the food is very good there. Does it matter what the name is?

Pratties is a good restaurant. Clean, good food an inexpensive. Some people have no taste. :D

I second Praties. It's good food and the owners are really nice. (I believe an Aussie/Thai couple).

Another hidden gem is Reggies which is located on the first floor of an apartment building directly behind Payap University. It is similar to a simplified Subway sandwich shop. I was there last week and if I remember correctly, you get a half sub, coleslaw, french fries and a Beer Lao (not Leo), for 75 baht. If it is not 75 baht, it is 90 baht. Either way, they have some pretty good and cheap combos.

Just tried the falafel place mentioned in a recent other thread. It seems to be called Funky Monkey. It's on the corner of Moon Muang and Soi 9.

I was very pleased. Had the pork burger+fries for 60baht and a fish burger for 40baht as well as a Thai Iced tea for 25. My eyes are bigger than my stomach as I had no room for any of their dessert options of brownies or cookies or banana cake. dam_n you eyes! Next time, definitely.

They do some very nice looking fruit shakes and a selection of coffees too. The two ladies were very pleasant and I even got some FREE WATER without asking.

Keep up the good work Funky Monkey!

MF

I second Praties. It's good food and the owners are really nice. (I believe an Aussie/Thai couple).

Another hidden gem is Reggies which is located on the first floor of an apartment building directly behind Payap University. It is similar to a simplified Subway sandwich shop. I was there last week and if I remember correctly, you get a half sub, coleslaw, french fries and a Beer Lao (not Leo), for 75 baht. If it is not 75 baht, it is 90 baht. Either way, they have some pretty good and cheap combos.

That's a fraction of the price of Subway. Are the subs good?

That's a fraction of the price of Subway. Are the subs good?

That sounds too god to be true. I think a small beer Lao costs about 35 baht so if that's included in the price of the meal it's a great deal. I hope there's enough profit in it for the guy to survive. Sometimes these places are too cheap so they don't make enough to pay the bills and eventually close. A friend told me about a place on the San Khamphaeng road just past the Superhighway junction, doing what he considered a very good pork or beef steak with mashed potato and veg for 39 baht! Very well presented as well as tasty, so he said. Needless to say it lasted about 6 months. If he was packing them in, maybe he could have made a small profit, but apparently he only had about 6 tables anyway. I wonder if these guys do any costing before they set the price.  Edited by twofortheroad

Ok the title is the best meal deal in CM. I vote for Dukes restaurant. The BBQ ribs meal has to be the best bargain in town !!

The ribs are to kill for. I have them delivered by Meals on wheels for you. 8 times now and everything arrives hot and delicious. At $12.00 its a bargain !!!! If you want cheap you get cheap IMHO.