Isuzu Mu-7 Super Platinum/groove

Hi there

I'm planning to buy the latest model of Isuzu Mu-7.I would like to get your point of view regarding the car

How is this model and is it confortable to be in???

Hope everyone could share their views

thanks.

• Replies 70
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

The styling is a matter of personal taste of course, but the MU-7 generally represents pretty good value for money.

The biggest downsides I see with it are:

It's long - one foot longer than Fortuner and Pajero Sport (more difficult to handle around town)

It has a big turning circle - it's wheelbase is 1 foot longer as well (also more difficult to handle around town)

The Isuzu engine is noisy - it's very capable but also uninspiring.

The interior looks very dated, and not far enough removed from it's pickup origins (Fortuner also suffers from this)

Resale value (as a %) is lower than Fortuner, but so is initial cost (So same as the Pajero Sport here)

However, it also has it's upsides:

It's bigger :)

It's cheaper!

If there's a Thai girl (or family) that'll be riding in it, you should also seek their opinion on it as well - some will not respond very well to it, others will love it - that largely depends on what's popular in the home town :D

Hey Kasmax......welcome to the club!

After pining over the MU-7 for months, I, too, am just about ready to put in my order for a MU-7.

As MoonRiverOasis says, car selection will boil down to your personal tastes and what your overall purpose for the car will be. You will have to make a Pros and Cons list of the car's characteristics and decide from there.

TIT: Car selection here as well as features and options, not to mention color selection, leave a lot to be desired from the Ex-pat point-of-view.

But working with the choices we have, and this is the type of SUV you are looking for, the MU-7 Activo Platinum is the 'overall' winner.

So, all-in-all, the MU-7 is the lowest priced SUV with the best features of all the rivals in its class.....hands down!

The only modification other than widow film that I will have done as soon as I pickup my MU-7 is to install 17" or 18" wheels with Michelin Latitude tires - that will make it one real nice smooth riding SUV! (The 16" mfr wheels + the average rated 'Dueler' tires that come with the MU-7 take away from its 'ride' capability).

Hey Kasmax......Welcome to the Club!

After pining over the MU-7 for months, I, too, am just about ready to put in my order for a MU-7.

As MoonRiverOasis says, car selection will boil down to your personal tastes and what your overall purpose for the car will be. You will have to make a Pros and Cons list of the car's characteristics and decide from there.

TIT: Car selection here, with the limited amount of features and options, not to mention color selection, leave a lot to be desired from an Ex-pat point-of-view.

But working with the choices we have, and if this is the type of SUV you are looking for, the MU-7 Activo Platinum is the 'overall' winner.

The only modification other than widow film that I would have done as soon as I pickup my MU-7 would be to install 17" or 18" wheels with Michelin Latitude tires - that will make it one real nice smooth riding SUV! (The 16" mfr wheels + the {average rated} 'Dueler' tires that come with the MU-7 take away from its 'ride' capability).

Edited by thailoht

So, all-in-all, the MU-7 is the lowest priced SUV with the best features of all the rivals in its class.....hands down!

Well, that depends on how you rate different criteria for importance..

When it comes the these types of SUV's (known as PPV's in TH because they are derived from pickups) the contenders are Toyota Fortuner, Mitsu Pajero Sport, Ford Everest, Thairung Adventure and Allroader, and the Isuzu MU-7 - all of which have their pros and cons.

Of these, they're all very closely priced except for the Fortuner which comes with a 20-30% price premium and for which you're really only getting VSC (vehicle stability control) as a standout extra. It definitely has better resale value, and is far and away the crowd favorite, but in terms of TCO (total cost of ownership) it's still the most expensive.

Each should absolutely be test-driven, poked and prodded before making any final decisions, because there are some very noticable differences in NVH (noise vibration harshness), power, comfort, handling, trim quality, equipment and certainly styling (inside and out) - be warned that looking at the paper specs does not tell the whole story!

This segment is known to create severe buyer's remorse for some :)

Whatever you choose, enjoy it! :D

Edited by MoonRiverOasis

Hi everyone.

I like the interior and the entertainment package that comes with it.Although, i feel that the tire is abit small for a car

this size so i might consider to bigger rims too. Any ideas what kind of deal can i get out of the dealer if i'm going for the

Mu-7 super platanium 4wd???

thanks everone for your insight. Hope to hear more from others.

regards

kasmax

Hey Kasmax,

What city will you be buying your car? For the Mu-7 Platinum Activo (4wd), I was quoted THB 1,254,000 - if you want the Pearl White color add THB 12,000. This includes the dealer discount plus free 1 year insurance, etc.

As for it's 'looks', I agree with MRO, that the new Pajero would win a head-to-head beauty contest but comparing "all" of the overall features, performance and quality that the MU-7 brings to the table, it's the hands-down best value.

It all comes down to what features the buyer is looking for and their personal preferences and tastes. I personally prefer large SUVs over cars and don't like pickup trucks.....

I've had my MU7 for about 6 months now and I love it. It's got quite good acceleration for such a big beast. It's very comfortable (BKK To Korat with 4 adults and 2 kids and everyone was comfortable). I love the fact that my Mrs. and I can listen to music in the front and have the rear audio allocated to the USB port so the kids can watch movies from their memory stick on the rear video screen.

The fuel consumption while doing the school run is about 9k/l. I've been in a friends Pajero and, while it's a nice looking car, the MU7 feels much bigger inside.

All-in-all a great value car. Love it.

Hey Kasmax,

What city will you be buying your car? For the Mu-7 Platinum Activo (4wd), I was quoted THB 1,254,000 - if you want the Pearl White color add THB 12,000. This includes the dealer discount plus free 1 year insurance, etc.

As for it's 'looks', I agree with MRO, that the new Pajero would win a head-to-head beauty contest but comparing "all" of the overall features, performance and quality that the MU-7 brings to the table, it's the hands-down best value.

It all comes down to what features the buyer is looking for and their personal preferences and tastes. I personally prefer large SUVs over cars and don't like pickup trucks.....

depends on your priorities

25 year old 3 sensor ABS system, tiny brakes front and rear, and rear leafsprings does not ad up with the word "performance". Neither does the real world acceleration figures, or the dated 16" Duellers.

Noise level of engine does not bring "comfort" to mind.

For crash safety, just have a look at Euro NPCAP D Max test. Same frame and passanger cage, but MU 7 even worse due to higher weight and longer roof in plastic.

There are more modern alternatives available at approx same price

......depends on your priorities

25 year old 3 sensor ABS system, tiny brakes front and rear, and rear leaf springs does not ad up with the word "performance". Neither does the real world acceleration figures, or the dated 16" Duellers.

Noise level of engine does not bring "comfort" to mind........For crash safety, just have a look at Euro NPCAP D Max test. Same frame and passenger cage, but MU 7 even worse due to higher weight and longer roof in plastic......

This car buying market is a game of gives and takes, plus, everyone has their personal tastes and preferences. I plan to add an after market trans cooler and after taking delivery of the car from the dealer, the first stop is going to be the tire shop down the street to upgrade those 'dated 16" Duellers' with a set of nice riding and performing Michelins.

I have a question: In order to maintain the best quality ride, which would be the best choice of wheel (rim) upgrade from the stock 16" (245/70R16 tire w/ 171.45 mm of sidewall height):

17" wheel (245/65R17 tire w/ 159.00 mm of sidewall height)

or a

18" wheel (245/60R18 tire w/ 146.81 mm of sidewall height)

Would there be a big difference in the ride quality between these 2 choices?

I've had my MU7 for about 6 months now and I love it. It's got quite good acceleration for such a big beast. It's very comfortable (BKK To Korat with 4 adults and 2 kids and everyone was comfortable). I love the fact that my Mrs. and I can listen to music in the front and have the rear audio allocated to the USB port so the kids can watch movies from their memory stick on the rear video screen.

The fuel consumption while doing the school run is about 9k/l. I've been in a friends Pajero and, while it's a nice looking car, the MU7 feels much bigger inside.

All-in-all a great value car. Love it.

....you only get 9k/l? Do you check your fuel consumption often? Other MU-7 owners had better consumption.
Here another happy MU7 Gold Activo owner.

2 years now. Can say only good :)

......I want to be like Angiud!

l'll be heading to nearest show room near Donmuang in couple of days. I'll give you guys update soon.

....we will be anxiously staying tuned for your postings!

Edited by thailoht

I have a question: In order to maintain the best quality ride, which would be the best choice of wheel (rim) upgrade from the stock 16" (245/70R16 tire w/ 171.45 mm of sidewall height):

or a

These appear to be odd fitments, are you sure they're even available in Thailand?

In answer to your question, going up to 17 or 18" probably won't have any noticeable effect on comfort, so long as the tire pressures are adjusted accordingly. Moving to 20+" inch is where the (lack of) sidewall height will start impacting ride quality.

or a

These appear to be odd fitments, are you sure they're even available in Thailand?

In answer to your question, going up to 17 or 18" probably won't have any noticeable effect on comfort, so long as the tire pressures are adjusted accordingly. Moving to 20+" inch is where the (lack of) sidewall height will start impacting ride quality.

these wheels will have smaller diameter than your stock 16", and are probably not available in truck loadindex.

17" the closest fit would be 265/65-17. This is standard fit on Mitsu pajero, Fortuner, Vigo 4x4G, so the most sold 17" truck tyre in LOS. The new Dueller 684II are actually more comfy and better in all aspects than the 9 year old 16" Dueller Izu is still using, and I assume Michelins similar tyre is so too. They are very much better on-road, and according to Bridgestone as good (or bad) as the old off-road

18" usually reduces comfort, but depends very much on profile (60/55/50/45), load index, and tyre design.

Choose the nearest loadindex upwards from your trucks total weight loaded, which for suvs usually is less than pickups. Better traction, better comfort. and get new tyres, week and year 4 digits, of manufactor is on the tyre. More than 6 months, get another set. Lifetime 3 years on the road.

I would have expected to be flamed for displaying MU7s drawbacks to the fans in this thread, but so far so good :)

Edit When I said closest fit for 17", I didnt read your post how tiny 16" tyres they use. I still think this is the best size, but will increase groundclearance approx 7-10 mm.

Edited by katabeachbum

changing wheel size usually alters the accuracy of the speedo too!

not changing wheelsize, changing diameter of wheel.

increasing rim size, tyres profile is usually decreased to make wheels diameter similar as standard size

however this Izu comes with different diameter wheels, and a small change in speedo reading can probably be seen, but I guess within the normal and legal 10%.

changing wheel size usually alters the accuracy of the speedo too!

not changing wheelsize, changing diameter of wheel.

increasing rim size, tyres profile is usually decreased to make wheels diameter similar as standard size

however this Izu comes with different diameter wheels, and a small change in speedo reading can probably be seen, but I guess within the normal and legal 10%.

another important issue, is that sparewheel can only be used on a 4x4 if its same diameter. If not transfercase is damaged.

Fortunetely Vigo and Fortuner comes with the 17" mag as spare

So, after Toyota (fortuner), Isuzu (MU7) and Mitsubishi (Pajero Sport), when will be the Nissan turn?

I was favorably impressed from the new Navara so, in the case of a new, local made Nissan SUV, I should think about a car change.

Any leak??

So, after Toyota (fortuner), Isuzu (MU7) and Mitsubishi (Pajero Sport), when will be the Nissan turn?

I was favorably impressed from the new Navara so, in the case of a new, local made Nissan SUV, I should think about a car change.

Any leak??

Not going to happen - their entry into the Thai small-medium SUV market is the Indonesian made 2.0L gasoline powered X-Trail, and that's it I'm afraid :) There's no plans to introduce the Pathfinder (the Navara based SUV) in Thailand.

Edited by MoonRiverOasis

Any leak??

Not going to happen - their entry into the Thai small-medium SUV market is the Indonesian made 2.0L gasoline powered X-Trail, and that's it I'm afraid :) There's no plans to introduce the Pathfinder (the Navara based SUV) in Thailand.

and ThaiRung quit making Nissan based SUV when the Navara arrived. To small volume I guess

I have a question: In order to maintain the best quality ride, which would be the best choice of wheel (rim) upgrade from the stock 16" (245/70R-16 tire w/ 171.45 mm of sidewall height):

17" wheel (245/65R-17 tire w/ 159.00 mm of sidewall height)

or a

18" wheel (245/60R-18 tire w/ 146.81 mm of sidewall height)

.....ahhhh, The TIT coming back to bite me in the royal derriere!

I momentarily forgot I'm in LOS and just can't pop over to the local tire store and expect to find any size tire I may need :)

.....so, these 245/65R-17 and 245/60R-18 tyres may not be available here in LOS? Does anyone have any knowledge about (these) tire size availability here in LOS?

These wheels will have smaller diameter than your stock 16", and are probably not available in truck load index.

17" the closest fit would be 265/65-17. This is standard fit on Mitsui Pajero, Fortuner, Vigo 4x4G, so the most sold 17" truck tyre in LOS. The new Dueller 684II are actually more comfy and better in all aspects than the 9 year old 16" Dueler Izu is still using, and I assume Michelins similar tyre is so too. They are very much better on-road, and according to Bridgestone as good (or bad) as the old off-road

18" usually reduces comfort, but depends very much on profile (60/55/50/45), load index, and tyre design.

Choose the nearest load index upwards from your trucks total weight loaded, which for SUVs usually is less than pickups. Better traction, better comfort and get new tyres, week and year 4 digits, of manufacture is on the tyre. More than 6 months, get another set. Lifetime 3 years on the road.

I would have expected to be flamed for displaying MU7s drawbacks to the fans in this thread, but so far so good :D

Edit When I said closest fit for 17", I didn't read your post how tiny 16" tyres they use. I still think this is the best size, but will increase ground clearance approx 7-10 mm.

.....naah, no flaming here. I appreciate you guys wealth of auto knowledge too much and wouldn't think of criticizing anyone for their tastes or lack there of......

The 265/65R-17 tire is more than the 3% maximum of the recommended safe diameter replacement size for the original 16" MU-7 tire.

Also, with the MU-7 brakes not being the largest in its class, I might as well go ahead and install a better set of calipers and rotors (no master cylinder or change to rear brake shoes required?) Can anyone give me some recommendations for this job?

Thanx!

.....ahhhh, The TIT coming back to bite me in the royal derriere!

I momentarily forgot I'm in LOS and just can't pop over to the local tire store and expect to find any size tire I may need :)

.....so, these 245/65R-17 and 245/60R-18 tyres may not be available here in LOS? Does anyone have any knowledge about (these) tire size availability here in LOS?

The difficulty is finding fitments with a high enough load index (normally 109+ for PPV/SUV) - in passenger vehicle fitments you'd almost certainly get the sizes mentioned, but they wouldn't be safe. The other (smaller) problem is that Isuzu's (and Chev by extension) standard fitment is only 245 wide, when all other manufacturers these days use 265. In any case, if you look long enough and hard enough, you may find suitable plus-size fitments but they will be more expensive, and very difficult to replace in an emergency given their rarity.

If you go for a 265 width tire you'll definitely have better availability (and pricing).

One other point is that you don't have to be worried about bearing life or chassis rubbing in PPV's like you do regular passenger cars, so plus-sizing to a bigger overall fitment will really only have the single downside of effecting your speedo accuracy (which is probably 3-5% short anyway). I run a +7.5% fitment on my Isuzu pickup BTW :D

Here's a site - it's not fantastic because it mixes passenger and SUV fitments together, plus it only has the load index shown for less than half of the tires listed, but it is the most comprehensive in TH:

http://www.nvyangyont.com/yang.asp

Also, with the MU-7 brakes not being the largest in its class, I might as well go ahead and install a better set of calipers and rotors (no master cylinder or change to rear brake shoes required?) Can anyone give me some recommendations for this job?

Can do :D The most popular brake upgrade kits in TH are the Runstop brand form BJ Motor Parts, and are stocked by pretty much every grease monkey in the country.

Front upgrade: http://www.runstopbj.com/isuzu_expansion.htm

Rear Disc Upgrade: http://www.runstopbj.com/rear_brakekit.htm

I would like to ask if i go to the dealer what kind of best deal i could i get it out of them??
Though I was last at the dealership weeks ago and things could change, I was promised:

- Bt 50,000 price discount off the front side

- Free rain guards for the windows

- Free Window tinting

- Paid 1st class insurance for one years

* Free Roof Rack

* Free side Step Rails

* Free rear deck tray (covering?)

* (Also included in the Platinum pkg?)

QUOTE (thailoht @ 2010-06-06 00:35:08) .....ahhhh, The TIT coming back to bite me in the royal derriere!

I momentarily forgot I'm in LOS and just can't pop over to the local tire store and expect to find any size tire I may need dry.gif

The difficulty is finding fitments with a high enough load index (normally 109+ for PPV/SUV) - in passenger vehicle fitments you'd almost certainly get the sizes mentioned, but they wouldn't be safe. The other (smaller) problem is that Isuzu's (and Chev by extension) standard fitment is only 245 wide, when all other manufacturers these days use 265. In any case, if you look long enough and hard enough, you may find suitable plus-size fitments but they will be more expensive, and very difficult to replace in an emergency given their rarity.

If you go for a 265 width tire you'll definitely have better availability (and pricing).

One other point is that you don't have to be worried about bearing life or chassis rubbing in PPV's like you do regular passenger cars, so plus-sizing to a bigger overall fitment will really only have the single downside of effecting your speedo accuracy (which is probably 3-5% short anyway). I run a +7.5% fitment on my Isuzu pickup BTW wink.gif

Here's a site - it's not fantastic because it mixes passenger and SUV fitments together, plus it only has the load index shown for less than half of the tires listed, but it is the most comprehensive in TH:

Nvyangyont.com : ÈÙ¹ÂìÃÇÁÅéÍáÁç¡«ì áÅÐÂҧö¹µì ·Ñé§ã¹áÅеèÒ§»ÃÐà·È ·Ø¡ÃØè¹·Ø¡ÂÕèËéÍ ¨Ó˹Ò·Ñ駻ÅÕ¡áÅÐÊè§

QUOTE (thailoht @ 2010-06-06 00:35:08) Also, with the MU-7 brakes not being the largest in its class, I might as well go ahead and install a better set of calipers and rotors (no master cylinder or change to rear brake shoes required?) Can anyone give me some recommendations for this job?

Can do smile.gif The most popular brake upgrade kits in TH are the Runstop brand form BJ Motor Parts, and are stocked by pretty much every grease monkey in the country.

Front upgrade: B.J. Motor Parts Co., Ltd

Rear Disc Upgrade: B.J. Motor Parts Co., Ltd

Th-a-a-ank you very much! Now I'll be able to join the club with a set of those cool 265 tires once I upgrade the brakes........but another thought just registered: Would I be voiding the new car warranty by doing a brake upgrade? (Say it ain't so, Joe!)

Edited by thailoht

Went to showroom and made the purchase for omega pearl white Mu-7 4x4.

got the following deal:

- Bt 45,000 price discount off the front side

- Free Window tinting

-1st class insurance for one years

* Free Roof Rack

* Free side Step Rails

all the other accessories in the booklet except for back sensor and xenon kit.

Plus i got the finance at 1.99% rate after 30% downpayment.

I would like to ask if i go to the dealer what kind of best deal i could i get it out of them??
Though I was last at the dealership weeks ago and things could change, I was promised:

- Bt 50,000 price discount off the front side

- Free Window tinting

- Paid 1st class insurance for one years

* Free Roof Rack

* Free side Step Rails

* (Also included in the Platinum pkg?)

QUOTE (thailoht @ 2010-06-06 00:35:08) .....ahhhh, The TIT coming back to bite me in the royal derriere!

I momentarily forgot I'm in LOS and just can't pop over to the local tire store and expect to find any size tire I may need dry.gif

One other point is that you don't have to be worried about bearing life or chassis rubbing in PPV's like you do regular passenger cars, so plus-sizing to a bigger overall fitment will really only have the single downside of effecting your speedo accuracy (which is probably 3-5% short anyway). I run a +7.5% fitment on my Isuzu pickup BTW wink.gif

Nvyangyont.com : ÈÙ¹ÂìÃÇÁÅéÍáÁç¡«ì áÅÐÂҧö¹µì ·Ñé§ã¹áÅеèÒ§»ÃÐà·È ·Ø¡ÃØè¹·Ø¡ÂÕèËéÍ ¨Ó˹Ò·Ñ駻ÅÕ¡áÅÐÊè§

QUOTE (thailoht @ 2010-06-06 00:35:08) Also, with the MU-7 brakes not being the largest in its class, I might as well go ahead and install a better set of calipers and rotors (no master cylinder or change to rear brake shoes required?) Can anyone give me some recommendations for this job?

Can do smile.gif The most popular brake upgrade kits in TH are the Runstop brand form BJ Motor Parts, and are stocked by pretty much every grease monkey in the country.

Front upgrade: B.J. Motor Parts Co., Ltd

Rear Disc Upgrade: B.J. Motor Parts Co., Ltd

Th-a-a-ank you very much! Now I'll be able to join the club with a set of those cool 265 tires once I upgrade the brakes........but another thought just registered: Would I be voiding the new car warranty by doing a brake upgrade? (Say it ain't so, Joe!)

No warranty on brakes anyway;).

Went to showroom and made the purchase for omega pearl white Mu-7 4x4.

got the following deal:

- Bt 45,000 price discount off the front side

- Free window tinting

- 1st class insurance for one year

- Free Roof Rack

- Free side Step Rails

- Free rear deck tray (covering?)

All the other accessories in the booklet except for back sensor and xenon kit.

Plus I got the finance at 1.99% rate after 30% down payment.

Congratulations - Right-On!!

When will you be able to pick up your MU-7? The back sensor and xenon kit were not included as part of the Platinum pkg? Are there extra charges for these items? Did you get the Platinum version?

No warranty on brakes anyway :)

.....So, doing this brake upgrade can not be used to void any part of the fine print of the manufacturer's overall car warranty?

.....So, doing this brake upgrade can not be used to void any part of the fine print of the manufacturer's overall car warranty?

I shouldn't, no. But it would always be wise to consult with the manufacturer and confirm the effect on warranty status yourself. No-one here can assert that.

I shouldn't, no. But it would always be wise to consult with the manufacturer and confirm the effect on warranty status yourself. No-one here can assert that.

.....'gotcha, I will try to find the answer at the dealers.

Absolutely, and remember, with bigger brakes on an MU7, the chassis will stop but the body might carry on with you in it. :)

.....I hope not to be doing any driving that fast! I am just looking to upgrade the wheels and tyres from the manufacturer's 245/70R-16" on the MU-7 to (17" or 18") 265/6xR size and I don't trust the stock brakes to handle the potential (> 3%) increase in tire diameter of these tires. Edited by thailoht