Yellow Chicken Curry.

NormanW

Does anyone know where I can have a nice geng ga lee gai (yellow chicken curry)?

I only know that kiss food and drink do it but it's not really nice enough to go back for more.

Has anyone found a really nice place that does this dish proud?

Thanks in advance.

NormanW

Agreed Foodland have a good tasting gaeng gari gai. Other places are Surf Kitchen on Jomtien beach road, and Nam Chai on the corner of Soi 19 and Soi buakhow.

The thai restaurant with the steel tables opposite soi buakoa market (the one a few hundred meters before Pattaya Klang) does a really excellent yellow curry - though if you want it ped ped you have to tell them because they tend to dilute the taste for their farang customers.

Try the "Indian Curry" (yellow curry chicken). Easy to find: the small open air restaurant at the corner Beach Road / Soi 6, between Soi 6 and Soi 6/1, with view at the seaside. Nice to sit there, very good curry, and some bars nearby...

Also not bad for chicken/curry: North Pattaya, small restaurant at Naklua Road, directly opposite Soi 14.

Just a quick report. Tried the yellow chicken curry at Surf Kitchen Jomtien, ordered it very spicy. The curry taste was good. There were no potatoes. I wouldn't make a special trip for that. Have also had it at Kiss before. There they do use potatoes but they aren't cooked enough.

I should have mentioned that they don't put potatoes in the chicken curry at Surf Kitchen. I think that's a drawback as well. However since the taste is very good I still go there for it sometimes.

And yes, Cool Kitchen at Tops, they do have a good chicken curry as well.

I think Surf Kitchen's version was about 85 baht. To be fair, they do have a picture of the curry on the menu and there aren't potatoes in the picture either, so no deception there.

I have had other decent dishes at Cool Kitchen. Will try their yellow. The OP is right; you don't find it everywhere.

Edited by Jingthing

Tropical Berts has just started a yellow curry and very nice it is too....potatoes cooked just right!:)

begs

OK, looks like I'm finally gon' make it over to Tropical Bert's. Good move.

Tropical Berts has just started a yellow curry and very nice it is too....potatoes cooked just right!:)

begs

OK, looks like I'm finally gon' make it over to Tropical Bert's. Good move.

you should have come to the party....the curry must have been good, it was gone before I had a chance to try it biggrin.gif

Sorry to say but I have to retract my recommendation for Foodland. Haven't had the yellow curry there for a while so stopped by tonight for a serving.

There were pretty much no taste to it at all. I added quite a bit of chili and fish sauce to get through the dish.

Not sure what has happened, maybe a new recipe or me being unlucky with the cook of the day…

Someone else been there lately and had a good tasting yellow curry?

I'm really not a gourmet, but I agree that Foodland Pattaya's curry isn't very good. Funny, but it's better at the Soi 5 Sukhumvit branch in BKK.

But I did try Tropical Bert's and thought it quite good. Recommended! The rice was 25 baht. Besides that, the service and atmosphere were also good and civilized. The music was inoffensive and satisfactory. The napkin holders weren't even out of toothpicks. Shipshape, in other words. I see there's a bar and I may stop in someday to see if they can mix a good drink too.

It's very Brit and heavy on footie icons. However, I didn't see any yobs in there. :)

Around that area, if you want a more Brit curry w/ a slice of nan, Victoria Inn on Soi 6 used to do one tolerably well. I'd as soon eat it as Neeroy's anyway. Haven't had it in quite some time however. (Seems Tropical Bert's only does the Thai style, though I may have missed it on the menu.)

• 1 month later...

I'm really not a gourmet, but I agree that Foodland Pattaya's curry isn't very good. Funny, but it's better at the Soi 5 Sukhumvit branch in BKK.

But I did try Tropical Bert's and thought it quite good. Recommended! The rice was 25 baht. Besides that, the service and atmosphere were also good and civilized. The music was inoffensive and satisfactory. The napkin holders weren't even out of toothpicks. Shipshape, in other words. I see there's a bar and I may stop in someday to see if they can mix a good drink too.

It's very Brit and heavy on footie icons. However, I didn't see any yobs in there. :)

Around that area, if you want a more Brit curry w/ a slice of nan, Victoria Inn on Soi 6 used to do one tolerably well. I'd as soon eat it as Neeroy's anyway. Haven't had it in quite some time however. (Seems Tropical Bert's only does the Thai style, though I may have missed it on the menu.)

I've almost found it.laugh.gif

S&P in Central Pattaya. 5th floor next to Black Canyon Coffee.

Just not quite enough rice but the best I've had so far. A lot of chicken, onions and potatoes, I can't remember if there were any carrots in, so i'll have to go back and have it again, oh no! wink.gif

125 baht. ohmy.gif

I bought a discount card there for when I return. Twice in 3 days. Lovely!

And the Foodland food counter (small portions though).

I agree this they serve a very nice yellow curry. I always upsize it by adding 50 baht for extra chicken. You can choose how much you wish to add.

Sorry to say but I have to retract my recommendation for Foodland. Haven't had the yellow curry there for a while so stopped by tonight for a serving.

There were pretty much no taste to it at all. I added quite a bit of chili and fish sauce to get through the dish.

Not sure what has happened, maybe a new recipe or me being unlucky with the cook of the day…

Someone else been there lately and had a good tasting yellow curry?

There is inconsistancy there depending on the chef who cooks it and there are many chefs working there at different shifts.

The name you use is for red curry. Yellow curry is massaman gai....or prostitute curry. I personally LOVE it, and wifey does a great job with it. Better than most restaurants.

that would be Mamasan Gai...

The name you use is for red curry. Yellow curry is massaman gai....or prostitute curry. I personally LOVE it, and wifey does a great job with it. Better than most restaurants.

that would be Mamasan Gai...

Or Mamasan Kathoey if you fancy ...