Khun

eggomaniac

I thought Khun was respectful title for a man, like Mister, or maybe even Master.

Then a saw someone addressing a woman professor, 'khun'.

I Googled the word and came up with that it is an aristocratic term, like Baron or Lord.

A. B. C. all of the above???

sbk above is correct--คุณ/khun is used as a second-person pronoun to address both men and women. It can also be used as a title in front of both male and female names and nicknames, when talking to or about a person.

The aristocratic title you refer to is in fact ขุน, which is necessarily transliterated as "khun", but is pronounced with a rising tone (sounds like "khun?"). The "khun" (คุณ) which means "you" has a middle tone.

My understanding is that Khun is gender neutral and is used for both men and women.

After the length of time you have been here, no need to be so humble. :)

Its is also my understanding that Khun is gender neutral, which, as a side-note, is possibly why many Thai are taught that "Sir" is polite for addressing both male and females.

Edit: posted this before Peppy's very informed reply! :D

Its is also my understanding that Khun is gender neutral, which, as a side-note, is possibly why many Thai are taught that "Sir" is polite for addressing both male and females.

I love that one! I still get a kick out of my daily "good morning sir" (and I am a woman). :) I don't have the heart to correct the guy (and I don't think he really has a desire to learn more English).

Is ขุน the same khun as in khunying you see in the papers all the time, then Peppy?
Khun Ying (คุณหญิง) is a conferred non-inheritable lifetime title for a married non-royal woman ranking lower than a conferred title of "Than Phuying" or a birth non-royal title of "Mom Rajawong", but ranking higher than a birth non-royal title of "Mom Luang". Such title of "Khun Ying" is sometimes roughly translated as Dame or Lady. An unmarried woman with a conferred title is styled Khun (courtesy title) (คุณ).

Royal Titles

My understanding is that Khun is gender neutral and is used for both men and women.

After the length of time you have been here, no need to be so humble. :)

Edit: posted this before Peppy's very informed reply! :D

My Thai is very informal, and while I have been addressed as khun sbk it was always an assumption it was gender neutral term, not anything based on education, merely experience.

People do say Khun NBD, Khun Fred etc when talking about someone, much as we would use Mr in English. I think it does denote a slightly higher status, so you would use it to talk about a doctor, teacher etc I believe females can also be talked about in this way, but pee or norng is more common. Perhaps being a professor of fairly high status then Khun is more appropriate?

Or have I got it mixed up?

People do say Khun NBD, Khun Fred etc when talking about someone, much as we would use Mr in English. I think it does denote a slightly higher status, so you would use it to talk about a doctor, teacher etc I believe females can also be talked about in this way, but pee or norng is more common. Perhaps being a professor of fairly high status then Khun is more appropriate?

Or have I got it mixed up?

The main points that regulate usage are level of familiarity and politeness, but it ties into status in that most people are more likely to be polite to people they feel have status.

It is the safest term of address to use as a second person pronoun if you are unsure about what else would be appropriate.

Also used for teachers

khun khru คุณครู - teacher

or use it when you meet someone's parents for the first time?

khun mehh คุณแม่ - mother

khun paw คุณอพ่ - father

คุณ is also a title. Normal people use นาย, นาง or นางสาว but some have been endorsed to use คุณ, for example คุณทองแดง the king’s dog or คุณพุ่ม the king’s late nephew.

It is probably similar to Sir. in English.

Like meadish said, คุณ/khun is formal and the best choice if you're not sure which pronoun to use.

The family words พี่/pii (elder sibling), น้อง/nong (younger sibling), น้า/nah (younger aunt or uncle), ป้า/bpah (auntie, older aunt), ลุง/lung (older uncle), ยาย/yaai (grandma), and ตา/dtah (gramps) are best used with people who live and work in informal settings, or with people you feel close to. Choose the word that best reflects their age relative to yours.

As bhoydy notes, คุณครู/khun khruu or simply ครู/khruu is often used for schoolteachers, though they may sometimes be called อาจารย์/ah-jahn. Professors are almost always called อาจารย์/ah-jahn, but people who are also professors might call them คุณ/khun informally. อาจารย์/ah-jahn is also used for respected monks, spirit mediums, exorcists and the like.

Doctors are usually called คุณหมอ or simply หมอ.

Like in bhoydy's post above, you can call your spouse's parents คุณพ่อ/khun paw and คุณแม่/khun mae. This is also used by teachers when talking to the parents of their students.

I live out in the sticks and i'm often referred to as 'YOU YOU YOU' by people who don't know me. I believe this comes from what people would say in Thai คุณครับ/ค่ะ khun khrap/kha. Although i haven't heard this used often, and have never heard a Thai shouting คุณๆๆ khun khun khun to another Thai to get their attention. :)

I live out in the sticks and i'm often referred to as 'YOU YOU YOU' by people who don't know me. I believe this comes from what people would say in Thai คุณครับ/ค่ะ khun khrap/kha. Although i haven't heard this used often, and have never heard a Thai shouting คุณๆๆ khun khun khun to another Thai to get their attention. :)

I think you're right--it's a good example of first language interference among people who have very little knowledge of the language they're trying to speak. They're not intending to be rude, they just don't know any better. Just something that us white (and black)-skinned folk living in Thailand have to put up with, but I do make a point of telling any Thai who's interested in learning English that "Excuse me, sir" and "Excuse me, ma'am" are much better equivalents to "คุณครับ/ค่ะ". Christopher Wright of Chris Delivery fame also touches on this in his books, stand-up routine, and TV show: he tells people that saying "YOU YOU YOU" is the same as saying "เอ้ย มึง" in Thai. To me เอ้ย มึง/oei meung is far more rude than "YOU YOU YOU", especially with strangers, but he does get the point across that most foreigners don't take kindly to being called to attention in such fashion.

Khun is not related to status or position. It's just polite talking to anybody.

Same word is used in calling somebody "hey you" - Khun kap! It is appreciated when you call waitress "Khun Kap" - instead of "non". But waitresses don't have any status.

Doctors are usually called คุณหมอ or simply หมอ.

Many doctors (even dentists) prefer to be called อาจารย์

That may apply in some other professions as well, even if they don't teach at universities.

Edited by mangkorn

Khun (middle sound) is to address someone who you thing is worthy of respect, usually businessman, doctor, teacher, boss, etc.

อาจารย์ is professor/teacher, i think some of the doctors are called อาจารย์ because they are also teachers, e.g. training new doctors.

Khun Kap is used as the same way some one would call you "Mister" when trying to get their attention but do not know your name.

It is also true that most thai's use family labels such as grandma, sister/brother, aunt, uncle, etc-but this is not used in formal speech.

Thanks all for the more than educational Replies. I now know how to use 'khun' and if there are more than 1 meaning, I am sure the Receiever will know which one was meant.

The khun that means a Noble, it seems, would be be KhuUN then? and is probably rarely used.

The khun that means a Noble, it seems, would be be KhuUN then? and is probably rarely used.

It hasn't been bestowed on anyone since feudal titles for commoners were abolished in 1942, and the last guy with ขุน/khun in front of his name died in 2006, so "rarely used" might be an understatement.

I'm not sure if KhuUN is the best way to transcribe the word, though; the two U's might suggest that the vowel is long, but it's not, the vowel and consonant sounds are the same as Khun that means you--only the tone is different.

Edited by Peppy