Tung Oil

canopy

I am interested in using tung oil as a natural finish for a new, untreated teak house. I've read the archives, chased leads on search engines, and visited various stores to no avail. Is tung oil available somewhere? If not, how about linseed oil? Any other natural alternatives? Thanks a bunch if you can help.

• 8 months later...

Been there. Like so many others, no response from thorzen.

What do you mean? They don't answer the telephone?

I have a response from Thorzen.... made a connection finally.... they only sell large drums of tung oil at one time.....one drum is 200 Liters about 190kg at 220Baht per kg

they quoted me at

"For one iron drum packing 190 kgs/drum, 220 baht/kg including VAT 7% totally 44,726 baht/drum, After you place order you can receive product at least within 7 days."

they will ship via nim see sing to chiang mai....

My organic farm is in chiang dao where I will have it shipped.

wondering if someone would like to split the bulk order with me 50/50 ? if n it I guess I would buy the whole thing and entertain offers at purchasing smaller amounts.

Please contact me asap for I am ready to roll.

((commercial signature removed per forum rules))

Edited by lopburi3
((commercial signature removed per forum rules))

I tried the formula ARBY put out on some small stuff, the fuel made it stink for quite a while(days-week). I then substituted Turpentine for the diesel fuel, much better. There may be some nasty stuff in the fuel that aids preservation, however. Haven't a clue.

It's cheap to try, cheap engine oil ~ 400B/ 5 liters, turpentine was at Global, Nam something, and English was on some of the "liter" bottles. you know the ones that look like 3/4 full bottles of lao khao.

I tried several proportions, experiment a little and see what you think.