Information about Hat Yai immigration

swissbie

This week i went to IO Hat Yai to get the 90days report and visa extension done. When i arrived there, it was a bit strange. Near the old building, two or three dozen people waiting, most likely Burmese. In front of the new building under the tents - nobody. Two quiet young girls were outside. They said, 90days is ok, but for the extension i'd need an appointment now. Online not possible, i didn't ask about a phone call. But they went on to have a look at my papers. It was a bit confusing, as they didn't have a clue, what's needed and what  not. I had to disagree with them several times and after the third time when one of them went asking inside, an officer came out. Didn't now her too, haven't seen her before, but ok, discussed it, needed some more papers, which i've not been ask for before. I came back after the break at 1 pm and shortly after got called inside. Empty, just one European waiting there. About half an hour later i had my extension. While waiting inside, i've seen several persons outside being sent away. So if you need an extension in Hat Yai, be prepared, go well in advance. There was some special event, lots of high ranking officers around, so you will likely meet more experienced stuff/officers in front of the building at another day, but the need of an appointment seems to be for real.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

On 2/6/2021 at 7:39 PM, swissbie said:

This week i went to IO Hat Yai to get the 90days report and visa extension done. When i arrived there, it was a bit strange. Near the old building, two or three dozen people waiting, most likely Burmese. In front of the new building under the tents - nobody. Two quiet young girls were outside. They said, 90days is ok, but for the extension i'd need an appointment now. Online not possible, i didn't ask about a phone call. But they went on to have a look at my papers. It was a bit confusing, as they didn't have a clue, what's needed and what  not. I had to disagree with them several times and after the third time when one of them went asking inside, an officer came out. Didn't now her too, haven't seen her before, but ok, discussed it, needed some more papers, which i've not been ask for before. I came back after the break at 1 pm and shortly after got called inside. Empty, just one European waiting there. About half an hour later i had my extension. While waiting inside, i've seen several persons outside being sent away. So if you need an extension in Hat Yai, be prepared, go well in advance. There was some special event, lots of high ranking officers around, so you will likely meet more experienced stuff/officers in front of the building at another day, but the need of an appointment seems to be for real.

So they refused your application when you visited in the morning and then gave you an appointment after lunch?

Can we presume you are on a retired extension? 

What additional paperwork did you require?

1 hour ago, recom273 said:

So they refused your application when you visited in the morning and then gave you an appointment after lunch?

Can we presume you are on a retired extension? 

What additional paperwork did you require?

Based on retirement, yes. They wanted signed copies of the wife's ta bien bahn and ID and a confirmation that i live at her house, which they never asked before. They also wanted the bank statement stamped (only 3 month as i use the money in the bank method). I assume that i only got lucky to get the extension the same day, as i had been talking to the officer already (because the girls outside made a mess..). It seems, the thing with the appointment is only because of Covid.

3 hours ago, swissbie said:

Based on retirement, yes. They wanted signed copies of the wife's ta bien bahn and ID and a confirmation that i live at her house, which they never asked before. They also wanted the bank statement stamped (only 3 month as i use the money in the bank method). I assume that i only got lucky to get the extension the same day, as i had been talking to the officer already (because the girls outside made a mess..). It seems, the thing with the appointment is only because of Covid.

Ah, OK. This is pretty standard for a marriage visa - house book, ID card and a completed form from the landlord along with a stamped original of your statement. 

We always go in a week or so before and get a pre-prepared pack if paperwork, there is a checklist in Thai - I think Stocky translated it to English.

Covid or not, it’s high time they got an appointment system. Just to save an extra trouble I always go to the bank at 8.00 am on the morning on the day, we are usually getting falsely accused of not having paperwork by that cantankerous old guy by 9.30, sitting around at 11.30 am, we watch the IO leave for lunch and then return at 1.30 pm and back home at 3.00 - total waste of a day, so an appointment system is good news.

The retirement visa officer is the girl with short hair, she used to do the marriage visas. I think she is nice and polite, she made the process easy when she worked on the marriage extension.

Edited by recom273

24 minutes ago, recom273 said:

Ah, OK. This is pretty standard for a marriage visa - house book, ID card and a completed form from the landlord along with a stamped original of your statement. 

We always go in a week or so before and get a pre-prepared pack if paperwork, there is a checklist in Thai - I think Stocky translated it to English.

Covid or not, it’s high time they got an appointment system. Just to save an extra trouble I always go to the bank at 8.00 am on the morning on the day, we are usually getting falsely accused of not having paperwork by that cantankerous old guy by 9.30, sitting around at 11.30 am, we watch the IO leave for lunch and then return at 1.30 pm and back home at 3.00 - total waste of a day, so an appointment system is good news.

The retirement visa officer is the girl with short hair, she used to do the marriage visas. I think she is nice and polite, she made the process easy when she worked on the marriage extension.

The visa officer with the short hair did my extension plus 90 day report within 20 minutes last year, but i didn't see her last week. The old guy has nothing to do (and is rather bored at that), as the papers get controlled outside the office for now. They gave me the checklist too (for the first time), but i didn't care reading it, as they asked for an affidavit from the embassy, which is not needed (and not possible) with the money in the bank. That's why i got to talk with the officer directly.

I only had to wait for a few hours when i moved here from BKK and made the first extension, later on it was never a problem. If the appointment has to be made in person (as i wrote they said it's not possible online, i don't know about a phone call, but rather doubt it), it could be rather troublesome for somebody living in Ranot or an other place quiet far away, that's the reason i wrote it here (i live only about  20km outside of Hat Yai, so no big problem for me).

• Thanks 1

Likewise, the wife popped in the week before I did my first 1 year extension last May, and picked up all the current forms and the checklist (translation attached). Will do the same this year and make an appointment at the same time. Having appointments, provided they properly allocate sensible time slots, will make the process much easier. So hope it persists post-Covid.

1 Year Ext Documents.pdf

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

• 1 month later...

Just popped in to get a certificate or residence - what a load of ..

After being given the runaround I asked for an appointment for my yearly extension, which expires April 7th.

You now need to book on LINE messenger - you scan the QR and then supply the details from the second photo. 

Is it just me? We got there about 10.45 am,  there was a parade going on infront of the office, everyone was in uniform, so we waited - we then found out that the info we were given the week before was false and we needed to collect a slip from the old immigration office, who took all the documents in exchange - returned to the main building - the guy outside in the uniform has disappeared, we went in and gave the papers to a student girl. “oh, can you come back at 1.00 ??” I looked at my watch, it was 11.20 - she backtracked and sorted things - but like really? 

There was one chinese guy and his adsistant doing a 90 day, Inside the only person processing customers was the marriage extension girl - a western guy with a walking frame sat outside, he had no clue about the appointment system, obviously had to go through a bit of effort to get his paperwork together and get to the building getting about, yet they sent him away with no appointment or time scale, told that he had to get another bank letter the day before his unknown appointment.

Was someone having a laugh, check the sample names - W. Disney and Alice Dee (LSD) - surprised no one advised them to use William Anchor.  

6E64AFA2-A19B-4A33-B98C-30ABCF1CFCAF.jpeg

938D09EC-60BD-4279-B7F8-B35C19492584.jpeg

Edited by recom273
  • Confused 1
  • Thanks 2

26 minutes ago, recom273 said:

Just popped in to get a certificate or residence - what a load of ..

After being given the runaround I asked for an appointment for my yearly extension, which expires April 7th.

You now need to book on LINE messenger - you scan the QR and then supply the details from the second photo. 

Is it just me? We got there about 10.45 am,  there was a parade going on infront of the office, everyone was in uniform, so we waited - we then found out that the info we were given the week before was false and we needed to collect a slip from the old immigration office, who took all the documents in exchange - returned to the main building - the guy outside in the uniform has disappeared, we went in and gave the papers to a student girl. “oh, can you come back at 1.00 ??” I looked at my watch, it was 11.20 - she backtracked and sorted things - but like really? 

There was one chinese guy and his adsistant doing a 90 day, Inside the only person processing customers was the marriage extension girl - a western guy with a walking frame sat outside, he had no clue about the appointment system, obviously had to go through a bit of effort to get his paperwork together and get to the building getting about, yet they sent him away with no appointment or time scale, told that he had to get another bank letter the day before his unknown appointment.

Was someone having a laugh, check the sample names - W. Disney and Alice Dee (LSD) - surprised no one advised them to use William Anchor.  

6E64AFA2-A19B-4A33-B98C-30ABCF1CFCAF.jpeg

938D09EC-60BD-4279-B7F8-B35C19492584.jpeg

Thanks for the information. It's exactly the feeling i got when i made my extension last month. Student girls with no clue in front of the IO and that i just got lucky to be able to get the extension the same day. I will have to get two extensions next year (passport expiry) and will go 45 days before the expiry of the extensions. Normally i got all the necessary information when i did the 90 day reporting, but that's difficult now without the possibility to talk with an officer.

2 hours ago, swissbie said:

Thanks for the information. It's exactly the feeling i got when i made my extension last month. Student girls with no clue in front of the IO and that i just got lucky to be able to get the extension the same day. I will have to get two extensions next year (passport expiry) and will go 45 days before the expiry of the extensions. Normally i got all the necessary information when i did the 90 day reporting, but that's difficult now without the possibility to talk with an officer.

I don't think any of them know

With regard to my certificate of residence, in the first there were two young IO officers in brown uniforms, I handed them one copy of my passport, all the different stamps, arrival card and last 90 day along with my rental agreement, house book where I rent, the ID card and housebook of the owner - he took all and gave me back the 90 day. Told us to go to the old office and get a slip of paper, then photocopy this and bring back to him,

We returned to the main office, like I said, 11.20, and the IO's were at lunch .. so we cautiously climbed the steps and walked in. The student girls didn't really want to help us, but they took the papers after I checked my watch and then returned and asked for a copy of all the passport pages. Luckily I had all the copies of everything, just incase they could process my visa on the same day - so I was prepared - but this was totally against what the IO told us the week before when we enquired and the IO we met today would have been quite happy to keep on sending us back and forth to the photocopy machine until we had the necessary.

The student girl then gave us back the copy of the "little slip" from the old office that was requested from the first IO. Then appeared with a confirmation slip and told us to return tomorrow because I need to sign the certificate.

My buddy in CNX did the same thing last week, just his rental agreement and the stamps from his passport, 2 weeks and It will mail it to his home address.

Anyway, such is life, even the wife is totally aware of the situation now, there incompetence and bad manners - she wonders why all these people in brown uniform are being paid a decent salary + pension to have a daily 2 hour lunch break .. its just another branch of the RTP franchise.

22 hours ago, recom273 said:

Thanks for the update. Wife popped into immigration last week to do my 90 day report and pickup the forms for my 1 year extension due in May. When she gave me the forms she also showed me a little piece of paper she's been handed with a QR code on it for the appointment booking. I was wondering what the code would link to, no surprise it's LINE rather than some bespoke Immigration website page. All for the good as using Line's infrastructure it will be infinitely more secure than any homebrewed webpage.

10 minutes ago, Stocky said:

Thanks for the update. Wife popped into immigration last week to do my 90 day report and pickup the forms for my 1 year extension due in May. When she gave me the forms she also showed me a little piece of paper she's been handed with a QR code on it for the appointment booking. I was wondering what the code would link to, no surprise it's LINE rather than some bespoke Immigration website page. All for the good as using Line's infrastructure it will be infinitely more secure than any homebrewed webpage.

Thats just so typical of the inconsistency of their <deleted> service - My wife popped into to do my 90 day last week too - she also picked up the forms and wasn't given a QR code.

Did you get 2x copies of the application forms?  - because when we went yesterday they tried to give us two sets, I scanned / printed mine and asked if it was acceptable. 

We also needed to request a form listed on the checklist that wasn't in the stapled pack - confirming that your wife is a Thai national, a form No.3 / Maiylek 3. Make sure you have that.

I actually got a confirmation today, for next Tuesday 10.00 am (so 4 working day wait, so not bad) along with another message in Thai and English that may interest you - Please bring bank book updated on the day of application. We overheard a conversation with the guy who turned up for a walk-in, was told to get a new bank letter and update his book the day prior to the appointment.

Did you get 2x copies of the application forms?  - because when we went yesterday they tried to give us two sets, I scanned / printed mine and asked if it was acceptable. 

We also needed to request a form listed on the checklist that wasn't in the stapled pack - confirming that your wife is a Thai national, a form No.3 / Maiylek 3. Make sure you have that.

We were given two sets of stapled forms, plus a set of forms in Thai for the wife, the list of required items in Thai, and the slip with the QR code on it. So I think we got a 'full house'. It seems very much the luck of the draw, depends on who's on the desk and what mood they're in.

We might have got the slip with the QR code because the wife asked about making an appointment, prompted by your previous post.

Edited by Stocky

• 1 month later...
  • 4 weeks later...

Went for my 1 year marriage extension today, appointment all sorted via LINE last week for Monday 10am, all easy enough. Arrived with fifteen minutes to spare, application all correct, nicely ordered and each set clipped together with a solid bulldog clip. Man on the desk checked my name on the appointment list and took my application forms & documents, passport and bankbook, and we waited under the tent outside.

And we waited, after an hour or so out comes a young lad with a blank STM2, Document 5 and Overstay Rules & Regs form, sorry you only submitted one set of these. Like a fool I told them I had submitted two sets (which I had) and sent him back inside, I should have just completed the forms. Half an hour later we're called over and told no you only submitted one set, go fill these in, no point arguing, did as requested. They got us to sign all the documents outside too, I sign mine, wife signs hers, we both sign the marriage certificate, maps and photos. They take a photo of the two of us and take my money.

We wait again another quarter hour, by this time it's almost 12 and I'm worried we'll have to come back after lunch. But no, we get to go inside, complete the short interview, sign the final document, accept change, receipt and passport with under consideration stamp. All done by 12:15pm, so 2.5hrs in total. Could have shaved 40 minutes off that if I'd just shut up and completed the 'missing' forms. Next year I'll deliberately leave something uncompleted or unsigned, just so they can find fault, I won't be submitting a perfect set of documents again.

They've changed the checklist slightly this year, so revised version attached. Note there are now a couple of lines at the bottom of the list which weren't there previously:

• This list of documents is subject to change without prior notice
  • The officer reserves the right to request additional documents not previously specified

Checklist for Marriage Extension v2.18.pdf

Hi Stocky, i have to admit, that i don't do everything as it's on your list (i do retirement though). I never cared about passport copies in portrait format and i only copy the pages which are necessary. I never copy the backside of the TM6, as the entry stamp is a passport page they ask for anyway. Never had a problem with these things, at least until now.. Did they ask for a 12 months bank statement or only 3 months (only relevant if money in the bank method)?

I went about 10 days ago for the 90 days report and was surprised, that this time the place was very crowded, but got my passport back in about 2 minutes. Good that they have immigration officers in front of the building again, the student girls really haven't been that smart..

It isn't my list, it's the checklist immigration supply, I just got someone to translate it for me, I assume there's a similar document for the retirement extension. The TM6 front /back and separate comment is my observation based on my first extension where we had to go and get it photocopied as they weren't happy with they way I'd done it, which was one side only as it was in my passport.

I supplied 3 months statements, though the checklist doesn't actually specify. Though this is for marriage extension not retirement.

But it all depends on who you get on duty that day, and what mood they're in.

I can't say I've ever had a very bad experience with Hat Yai immigration, but neither can I say I've had a very good experience.

26 minutes ago, Stocky said:

It isn't my list, it's the checklist immigration supply, I just got someone to translate it for me, I assume there's a similar document for the retirement extension. The TM6 front /back and separate comment is my observation based on my first extension where we had to go and get it photocopied as they weren't happy with they way I'd done it, which was one side only as it was in my passport.

I supplied 3 months statements, though the checklist doesn't actually specify. Though this is for marriage extension not retirement.

But it all depends on who you get on duty that day, and what mood they're in.

I can't say I've ever had a very bad experience with Hat Yai immigration, but neither can I say I've had a very good experience.

Never had a really bad experience too, but last year a very good one: extension and 90 days report done in 20 minutes.

Today I got an extension of permission to stay based on retirement.

2021-05-06: I applied for an appointment through LINE.

2021-05-07: They requested pictures of passport. I uploaded the requested information and got an appointment at 2021-05-18 13:00.

2021-05-11: They changed the appointment to 2021-05-18 11:00.

So today I arrived at 10:45. Outside the building I handed in my application package and passport and was told to take a seat under the canopy and wait.

At 11:30 I had to pose for a photo and the ฿1900 fee was collected.

At 11:40 I was asked for my phone number and my passport containing a fresh 1-year-permission-to-stay stamp and a ฿1900 receipt was returned to me.

All in all, not too bad an experience, except for sitting and sweating and suffocating behind a face mask for almost an hour in 32 °C.

• Like 2

• 2 weeks later...
On 5/17/2021 at 6:57 PM, swissbie said:

Never had a really bad experience too, but last year a very good one: extension and 90 days report done in 20 minutes.

Theres always something. 

Last year I had the same experience as @Stocky missing paperwork even tho' the paperwork was checked and double checked by my wife and I, making all the papers were the same and in the same order. Suddenly some papers got lost when passing them to the old boy who used to sit on the front desk, after he started throwing papers around.

This year, after being given an appointment at 10.00 am I sent a message asking on LINE if it was OK to collect the letter / statement the afternoon before, (as I had overheard another guy being told to ensure he did this and the Thai paperwork says anytime within the last 7 days) the answer was fine.

Suddenly when we got to the front desk, there was an issue that the bank book should have been updated on the morning of the appointment, which turned into OK if I took a screenshot of my internet banking after we showed her the LINE message. Has anyone else been asked for this? I dont think so. Again, just inconsistent service, the message was probably typed by some intern on the front desk.

Anyway, here is a scan of form for the Residence certificate should anyone need one for DLT matters. You beed to print on A4.

Cert Res.jpg

• Like 1

• 3 months later...

Have had to have some rather extensive dealing with the Hat Yai office over the last 9 months. 

Found them to be very polite, friendly, helpful,  and most importantly Patiencet while struggling to get the paperwork sorted.

As mentioned by one of the previous posts they are almost solely higher ranking officers,  so they have the ability to give you a definitive answer  to any questions.

Only advice is don't turn up after 3pm and expect to have paperwork processed on the spot with a smile.

Hat Yai Immigration is certainly far less dramatic than some of the other immigration offices around the country, if posts in the Immigration Forum are any guide. They've been more efficient during Covid, primarily because there are far fewer customers, I just hope they persist with the Line App for appointments and queries post Covid as it saves a lot of time.

• 7 months later...

Just about to start the application for a my marriage extension, the new check list contains one significant change from before:

Section 3.1.1 has changed from:

"A confirmation letter from the bank in Thailand (not over more than 7 days), the money must remain in the bank within the previous two months must not be less than 400,000 baht"

to

"Confirmation letter from the bank in Thailand (*Documents from the bank must be on the same day as the submission date*). The balance in the account over the past 2 months is not less than 400,000 baht."

Which just adds an extra rush to proceedings, but I guess it brings us in line with other immigration offices.

Edited by Stocky
  • Like 1

3 hours ago, Stocky said:

Just about to start the application for a my marriage extension, the new check list contains one significant change from before:

Section 3.1.1 has changed from:

"A confirmation letter from the bank in Thailand (not over more than 7 days), the money must remain in the bank within the previous two months must not be less than 400,000 baht"

to

"Confirmation letter from the bank in Thailand (*Documents from the bank must be on the same day as the submission date*). The balance in the account over the past 2 months is not less than 400,000 baht."

Which just adds an extra rush to proceedings, but I guess it brings us in line with other immigration offices.

The confirmation letter is not such a problem, since it can be done in a few minutes, but since last year they also ask for a 12 months statement (extension based on retirement), which takes about a week to be sent from headquarters. I use an account only for visa purposes, so obviously no hidden transfers, but still had to get it. Besides; a new officer again..

14 minutes ago, swissbie said:

The confirmation letter is not such a problem, since it can be done in a few minutes, but since last year they also ask for a 12 months statement (extension based on retirement), which takes about a week to be sent from headquarters. I use an account only for visa purposes, so obviously no hidden transfers, but still had to get it. Besides; a new officer again..

With the latest Bangkok Bank app (I use Android) it is now possible to request a 12 months statement that will be sent to your email within a few minutes as a PDF.

• Thanks 1

19 minutes ago, nrasmussen said:

With the latest Bangkok Bank app (I use Android) it is now possible to request a 12 months statement that will be sent to your email within a few minutes as a PDF.

Good Day to you,

Do you mean the Bangkok Bank app on your phone or the iBanking on a computer, as I have looked at both but cant find where to order a statement, any help greatly appreciated.

Many thanks.

1 hour ago, nrasmussen said:

But doesn't it require to carry a stamp from the bank, I didn't think print your own was acceptable?!

• Like 1

15 minutes ago, Stocky said:

But doesn't it require to carry a stamp from the bank, I didn't think print your own was acceptable?!

Yes, you're right, that could be a problem. Probably safer to wait a week for the official document.

2 hours ago, swissbie said:

I'd not considered doing it in two parts, something to consider. I normally use the Krungsri branch in Central Festival, because it's seldom busy, though it still takes two hours for letter and two months bank statements; longer if the manager isn't around to sign. The problem with the Central Festival branch is it doesn't open until 11am. So looks like I need to go to the main branch in town which is always busy, and the staff are more ovine.