• Replies 80
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

your salivating

salivating

prices

Highline 4Motion – 160,400 pesos [€ 30,400]

Highline 4 Motion Pack – 167,600 pesos (leather upholstery, ESP Off-Road and side airbags) [31,600 €]

Trendline 4Motion – 146,500 pesos ( from May ) [27,600 €]

Trendline 4 × 2 to 123,600 pesos ( from June ) [23,400 €]

Highline 4 × 2 to 134,200 pesos ( from June ) [25,400 €]

Edited by seanocasey

Its not build on frame and it does not have rear leaf springs, so in LOS it would be taxed as a passanger car even if build in LOS.

In addition VW is focusing on China, and is not interested in assembling vehicles in LOS. They tried, and lost a fortune.

The thai market wants engine cc, so 2,0 wouldnt sell despite having more power than most 3,0.

Hondas pickup (sold in the US) is also very exciting, but no frame and rear coils makes it impossible in LOS

Its not build on frame and it does not have rear leaf springs, so in LOS it would be taxed as a passanger car even if build in LOS.

Somehow the tester in the above link doesnt agree with you here

snip

The Amarok might be European-designed, but that doesn’t necessarily mean it’s soft. Despite early predictions of a unibody chassis, like the Honda Ridgeline, it’s a conventional body-on-frame workhorse with MacPherson struts at the front and leaf springs at the rear.

snap

But beside of that, the price would still be too high here as a full import.

If the Amarok came to Thailand as an import, my guess is you'd be looking at prices in the 2.5M to 3.5M Baht range. While I like the car, at the price it just makes no sense in TH.

It'll never come in via official channels, and I'd even be surprised if it ever came in through the gray market - it's just not the type of vehicle the buyer's in that market are looking for.

Still I could be wrong - Kia did import the Soul after all.. Which proves once and for all that basic common-sense isn't a pre-requisite to being an automotive exec here :)

I prefer to buy a car or truck that is manufactured in Thailand.

Why?

I think that living here brings with it the duty to support the country.

Or better said, some people working in the factory

That is why I was in the market for a Fortuner, but not any more.

Besides, it being a Volkswagen does not mean it is a good truck.

snip

The Amarok might be European-designed, but that doesn't necessarily mean it's soft. Despite early predictions of a unibody chassis, like the Honda Ridgeline, it's a conventional body-on-frame workhorse with MacPherson struts at the front and leaf springs at the rear.

snap

sorry, my VW knowledge is dated I guess. Thought it was unibody in line with Honda Ridgeline.

With rear leafs and build on frame, and payload 1.000 kg as required in LOS to avoid excice tax, it could sell here with only 80% importduty++. Any takers at 2,5 mill baht?

Guess they are only making it as LHD, as VW is not focusing on major RHD pickup-markets

Honda Ridgeline is a fantastic pickup, comfy, excellent traction and a nice 3,5 V6 at 280 hp. But for US/Canada only I believe, we where only able to import a few grey units to EU before I sold my business

snip

The Amarok might be European-designed, but that doesn't necessarily mean it's soft. Despite early predictions of a unibody chassis, like the Honda Ridgeline, it's a conventional body-on-frame workhorse with MacPherson struts at the front and leaf springs at the rear.

snap

Guess they are only making it as LHD, as VW is not focusing on major RHD pickup-markets

Quite possibly because there is no major RHD markets to speak of..

Edited by WarpSpeed

your salivating

salivating

prices

Highline 4Motion – 160,400 pesos [€ 30,400]

Highline 4 Motion Pack – 167,600 pesos (leather upholstery, ESP Off-Road and side airbags) [31,600 €]

Trendline 4Motion – 146,500 pesos ( from May ) [27,600 €]

Trendline 4 × 2 to 123,600 pesos ( from June ) [23,400 €]

Highline 4 × 2 to 134,200 pesos ( from June ) [25,400 €]

When I search those models stated, I get pictures and details of a VW MPV, not a pickup, dualcab or otherwise.

Just looks like any other sack of sh*t pick up. Unless you use it for business/carrying loads of stuff/move house every week then I honestly cannot see the point in them.

The ride terribly (springs or leaves), need stupidly large odd sized tyres, are as basic as a Lada Samara, have a high centre of gravity which is just plain old dangerous,drink faster than Anthony Worrell Thompson and look ghastly.

Don't get me started on SUVs (Stupid Useless Vehicles).

snip

snap

only LOS, OZ and NZ is more than a million RHD pickups a year

only LOS, OZ and NZ is more than a million RHD pickups a year

Like I said... ^ Of course that's comparatively speaking.. The U.S. alone has lost half it's peak sales in recent poor economic times of 3.3 million achieved in 2001 and it still sells between 500 and 700,000 more annually at it's lowest point but still had 2.73 million sales last year..

Source Bloomberg: Annual U.S. pick up truck sales

Edited by WarpSpeed

Just looks like any other sack of sh*t pick up. Unless you use it for business/carrying loads of stuff/move house every week then I honestly cannot see the point in them.

The ride terribly (springs or leaves), need stupidly large odd sized tyres, are as basic as a Lada Samara, have a high centre of gravity which is just plain old dangerous,drink faster than Anthony Worrell Thompson and look ghastly.

I wonder what you drive Dave !!!!!! Probably nothing eh. Not needed, only a short stroll to the bar mmmmmm. Now Dave, pray don't tell us

you really do have a car cos l wont believe you for one, . :D .:)

Ah Mr Trans-am, it's a disappointment that you have a grunty V8 in your avatar and are (I suppose) defending these behemoths.

The only way to get around Thailand is on a bike, so I have a bike. (I do have a car but I'm selling it as it's a waste of time here)

I'm not a troll (or a Dave) just expressing my views on the VW bandwagon as pictured at the top. No harm in having an opinion, or is that against the TV clique laws?

laugh.gif all friendly laugh.gif

Edited by FlatOut

I wonder what you drive Dave !!!!!! Probably nothing eh. Not needed, only a short stroll to the bar mmmmmm. Now Dave, pray don't tell us

Ah Mr Trans-am, it's a disappointment that you have a grunty V8 in your avatar and are (I suppose) defending these behemoths.

The only way to get around Thailand is on a bike, so I have a bike. (I do have a car but I'm selling it as it's a waste of time here)

I'm not a troll (or a Dave) just expressing my views on the VW bandwagon as pictured at the top. No harm in having an opinion, or is that against the TV clique laws?

Depend what you like. Better ride in a "AC" SUV or a "Pick", than swetting under a dam helmet on a "ladybike" with a f.. up hair style. Cruising a nice Harley trought to the desert in Nevada, on sunset, is one thing, but driving a Ladybike or a Phantom in Pattayas Sois.......... I don't know what i should say.

I prefer the car!

Anyway, the VW looks actually almost like the Ford Wild Track (inside and outside). Personally i like it, but i don't know what engine they put in. I guess it will never available in LOS, or it's gonna be very expensive. If the price would be the same (not more) as a Toyota or Isuzu, i would maybe consider to buy one.

FlatOut is exactly what you would be trying to haul a ton of fertiliser to your farm on a Honda Click.

Sooooo, everyone that has a pickup is a farmer now?

My point exactly....

The first pickup I ever owned I actually bought to cart my dog around in, mainly for two reasons, 1. I refused to let it sit on the leather interior of the other vehicle, 2. It got too big for the inside of my work car :) fekking dog cost me a fortune.

FO,

I also have a bicycle which I use regularly for exercise and enjoying the local countryside, but I would find it a bit difficult to go shopping, go out, take my dogs on, etc, etc, if that was all I had - one of the reasons why I have overcome my prejudice and changed from the saloons/sports cars I have always had to a pick up truck, which I never thought I would (see elsewhere).

Hi John - Actually I meant I have a motorbike, not a push bike laugh.gif

I also have two dogs, one sits on the back of the bike and the other on the front. Obviously I don't take them far or go 'flatout'. Shopping is a cinch on a bike, going out is easier than taking the car. I can park it almost anywhere, I shave my hair off so no helmet hair to worry about.

My point was that people who have pick ups don't need them. If I was an environmental geek (which I'm not) they are a problem. Fair enough the guy who has large dogs uses the back of his truck to some good use. I just don't like them, they are (in my opinion...!!!) a waste of space. Like I said, if you use one for picking up huge items every week/month, run a business which needs lots of stock or have an enormous extended family they are great. But, in Thailand (and everywhere else) the owners very rarely use them for what they are designed for. People even see them as being a status symbol, yet all I see is people struggling to park, nearly collect all of the motorbike users on the roads and have to do 32 point turns in a street.

Anyway, enough of that.

----

TransAm - heehee yes I'm a plonker too AND I've just helped some people on another thread whistling.gif

Sooooo, everyone that has a pickup is a farmer now?

My point exactly....

I am as far away from a farmer possible to get. The utmost farming I do is to water the trees around my pool in the dryseason. Thats it.

But choosing a pickup over a car or a SUV, I can bring along 2 Ninja 650R, one rottweiler and all the gear we need for a months road trip, and the ride is like any SUV. Beat that:rolleyes:.