Thai Meteorological Dept Denies Speculation Of Massive Quake, Tsunami

webfact

A tsunami, if occurring in the Pacific, can only be caused by the movement of the underwater fault line lying west of the Philippines. In that case, it would take around 14 hours for a massive wave to travel over thousands of kilometers before reaching Thailand.

i predict that if an earthquake really would happen on that fault

and it would be massive enough to cause tsunami

the Pattaya (which is well covered by Cambodia and Vietnam) and even Samui (which is not) will be perfectly OK

the Gulf of Siam is too shallow, and the wave will not travel far enough to reach land

but... poor Filipino girls in Angeles City then sad.gif

as the earthquake itself would be pretty close to that area

• Replies 119
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I like how it's the weather department warning of an earthquake.

reporting on whether or not it will occur.

This is Thailand - it certainly wouldn't be the meteorological department since nothing much is logical here.

Almost as funny as the front page article on the "other" English language newspaper on the 10th, about the world cup tournament, World Cup 2010 Behind Bars at Klong Prem.....Guess which goverment department is involved in this...Ministry of Tourism.. I can just picture the advertisment for that....

For your real Thai experience, Come to Thailand, get busted for drugs, and wind away the years in the Bangkok Hilton

Oh no, the same fellow predicts Cullifornia's next! ph34r.gif

Thank you so much and you know I live in California with my family. We take Earthquake seriously and we know it is coming. The Question is When?? In 1989 we experienced 7.1 and now we hear it going to be higher...Well I have to be ready at all time. My hometown the City manager is doing so much for Earth quake and disaster preparation. My husband always reminds me to stock up can food, and water plus candle etc....Well let wait and see..about Thailand and Tsunami...this coming weekend.....

Thanks for posting.

When the Big One finally hits, you'll find a sense of humor as valuable as that can of creamed corn smile.gif

My research shows that the solar eclipse is due July 12, 2010, not June, the exact point being at 2:40 AM, Thai time.. So if there is anything to worry about, one has time to prepare. We have 2 or 3 solar (and also lunar eclipses per year), and I am not ( yet?) aware of anything special about this one.

However, globally, we are already in the shift to more harmonious living, yet resistance globally will be continue to be felt economically, politically, socially, etc. for awhile. It could get extremely rough, unless perhaps you are already living as a poverty-stricken 3rd worlder, who has nothing to lose. Time to ride the waves without judgment, and with unconditional love, to individuate from the fear.

oops !

all us debunkers were wrong...

a mag 7.5 quake did indeed hit on the 12th off the nicobar islands at a depth of 35km.. see the .USGS. site

question is.. how did they ('Lloyd Simcoe' & ilk) know it would happen ?!?

perhaps by pumping water into an unstable fault line..? or puncturing a colossal magma chamber with a mega deep water drill (aka BP oil cock up in the gulf of Mexico) they influenced it ?!?

whatever, i hope they know what they're doing... :)

Interestingly this story came to be true. See this article:

Major 7.5-quake strikes off India's Nicobar Islands - Yahoo! News

NEW DELHI (AFP) – A 7.5-magnitude earthquake struck under the Indian Ocean on Sunday, triggering a tsunami watch for nearby islands and causing tremors reportedly felt along India's eastern seaboard.

The quake hit at 1:26 am local time (1926 GMT) at a depth of 35 kilometres (22 miles) with the epicentre around 160 kilometres west of India's Nicobar Islands.

The Pacific Tsunami Warning Center, based in Hawaii, initially issued a warning for the entire Indian Ocean region. This was downgraded to a warning for India only, when the magnitude of the quake was revised to 7.5 from 7.7, and later the centre cancelled the alert altogether.

"Sea level readings indicate that a significant tsunami was not generated," the centre said in a bulletin.

India's ocean information centre issued a "tsunami watch" for 10-15 islands, but said it was expecting only a mild surge in sea levels of about 50 centimetres (20 inches).

"This is nothing alarming, but just a watch," Sriniwas Kumar, a spokesman from the state-run Indian National Centre for Ocean Information Services told AFP by telephone from the agency's headquarters in Hyderabad.

The tremors were felt more than 1,000 kilometres from the epicentre on mainland India, where many were shaken awake in the dead of night, causing some to flee their homes in panic, the Press Trust of India reported.

Moderate tremors were felt in the southeastern coastal city of Chennai, but there were no reports of casualties or damage to property, according to police.

The US Geological Survey initially gave the magnitude of the quake as 7.7 before revising it down to 7.5.

Indian Ocean islands were badly hit by the 2004 Asian tsunami which was triggered by an earthquake off the Indonesian island of Sumatra and sent giant waves crashing across the region.

The 2004 tsunami killed more than 220,000 people, most of them in the northern Indonesian province of Aceh. Thousands of people were also killed in Sri Lanka, Myanmar, Thailand and India.

Sunday's quake hit around 440 kilometres south of Port Blair, the largest town on the Andaman Islands, and around 1100 kilometres southwest of the Thai capital Bangkok.

The Andaman and Nicobar Islands are some of India's most easterly territories and more than 350,000 people live on the 572 islands flanked by the Andaman Sea and the Bay of Bengal.

The Andaman Sea area witnesses frequent earthquakes caused by the meeting of the Indian tectonic plate with the Burmese microplate along an area known as the Andaman trench.

So what do you know.

Interesting breaking news from Sky News in UK.

USGS announce 7.7 quake west of India's Nicobar Islands. Is that in the Andaman Sea?

No mention of a tsunami at this stage.

Oh no ! I have eat my hat :)

A Thai friend in Isaan said on Friday I had to leave Pattaya

because the Tsunami was coming for sure last night ( Saturday )!

My only defence is that at least it seems to have only been a problem

in the Indian Ocean so it wouldnt have reached the waters on this side.

But amazing how their strong belief about their prediction of an earthquake seems correct :D

who originally predicted this earthquake?

I'm not sure where it started, you can google the two names below and pick up some of the story, part of which is on that unmentionable paper. Seems a Thai working for NASA started the ball rolling with a comment about a planetary alignment. Then some talk about a solar eclipse on June 12, which does not seem to be true. There is a solar eclipse on July 11, so June 12 may also be a time of sun/moon/earth alignment.

There is both some lay science and some real scientific data suggesting that moon/sun/earth tidal forces may correlate to some degree with the timing of earthquakes. The moon and Earth control the tides but the other planets have virtually no effect on the earth.

A lucky guess based on partially true, partially understood phenomenon?

Thailand predicts an earthquake. Jing reu mai ?! Once in a blue moon, perhaps.

See:

1.. Kongpop U-yen, a Thai engineer who works at the US National Aeronatics and Space Administration (Nasa),

2. Smith Dharmasarojana

3. Solar Eclipse July 11, 2010: Cruise to Tahiti or watch from Easter Island, Chile, or Argentina

4. Planets do not affect earth read here.

Edited by rabo

OK - I predict an earthquake for Tuesday in Asia.

If the earthquake happens does that make me right?

NO of course it doesn't - don't be so stupid.

There are millions of predictions everyday and just because some happen it doesn't make the predictor or the method of prediction right.

Earlier, Kongpop U-yen, a Thai engineer who works at the US National Aeronatics and Space Administration (Nasa), said the alignment of the planets today could cause natural disasters such as earthquakes and tsunamis.

National Disaster Warning Centre chief Smith Dharmasarojana agreed with the forecast, saying it was backed by scientific data.

The forecast, however, met with criticism from the scientific community as authorities did not clarify the prediction.

Mr Smith recently said during a TV interview that a solar eclipse was due to occur on June 12 as a result of the alignment of the Earth, the moon and the sun.

He said the alignment would release considerable cumulative energy, which could affect the Earth. Mr Smith, quoting Mr Kongpop, said the phenomenon would have a direct impact on the Earth in the forms of climate disruption, earthquakes and volcanic eruptions.

Mr Smith said that Southeast Asia could be the first region to be affected if the planetary alignment, due to occur at 6.30pm local time, triggers natural disasters.

A 7.0-8.5 magnitude earthquake on the Richter scale could occur, possibly causing a tsunami.

Full explanation here

This reminds of the time when a bloke called Stan Dayo (Deyo?) created religious hysteria back in the late 70's. He insisted that 'all hel_l' (literally & biblically) would break loose when the planets aligned. Of course, this didn't happen but he did make lots of money from his talks/conventions/tapes.

Edited by elkangorito

OK - I predict an earthquake for Tuesday in Asia.

If the earthquake happens does that make me right?

NO of course it doesn't - don't be so stupid.

There are millions of predictions everyday and just because some happen it doesn't make the predictor or the method of prediction right.

Yes, and there are many earth tremors every day. You are bound to be right about an earthquake in Asia on Tuesday.

I also predict that there will be a plane crash in S. America within the next 3 months. The plane will have red in it's flag.

Actually I saw a TV program about this that nearly all airlines have red in their logo and minor air incidents happen every 3 months or so in S. America.

Anyone can make these predictions and some will come true.

NO ONE can predict the exact time and whereabouts of earthquakes, accidents or whatever.

As someone posted earlier .. anyone who could predict this well would be a millionaire.

So what the heck was all that about on 107 the other morning? Not internet waffle it was someone who was trying to speak with authority about the earthquake...Fortune Teller? Nut case.

Well 107 is full of nutters but none worse than the raving ego maniac on 88 in the morning. Like all cheap stringers, it is all about the ratings. dry.gif

The Wizard thought HAARP was a branch of the AARP( Am. Assoc. of Ret. People ! in the USA , and all the gas we baby boomer

retired persons seem to put out as senior citizens , might make the earth move...if we all broke wind at the same time! ( Or maybe its all the People in China , spitting at the same time )

Thats why I like living up the hill a bit in Patong ! Only , not too high cause of Mud Slides occuring !

(probably from earthquakes, not all these monsoonal downpours !)

It seems no matter where you go , something is tryin' to kill ya !!!

I got a bottle of Tequillya ready chilled for the big one , some Albert Hoffmann papers and some medical herbal remedies !

Bon Voyage !!!!!

post-35854-040230400 1276486984_thumb.jp

post-35854-082084100 1276487106_thumb.gi

Ahhhhhhhhh!

People are so skeptial when they fear the unknown. These days there are countless predictions and there is so much more information consolidated on data bases and analyised by algorithms computed by chips that are exponentially greater by the year.

New information is now commonly disguised and discredited by the term or label "conspiracy theory". We will see more and more accurate predictions. And there will be many more fear mongerers with no basis to their claims.

This is all part of the 2012 shift. It happened thousands of years ago.

Has no one here on thai visa made the connection between the sun activity and the earthquakes on earth? It is happening. Solar storms will increas and power grids will fail. Aeroplanes will be grounded sometimes. This is pure science. Foreknowledge of disasters will become common.

NASA and JPL are not the only people monitoring space weather. Many credible sciencists have flipped their original silence over the 2012 enigma.

Originally most feared losing funding/creating un due panic or looking like black sheep. Now they feel an obligation to warn people.

Now information is circulating rapidly, a lot unsubstantiated, theoretical, and so on, but some of this new info is mind blowing and proves that our established western paradigm is often propaganda. In the past it took deades for a book to gain credibility if it was tackling such issues. These days it can take weeks. Still disguised amongst the charlatians, the information is there. Anyone whp spends less time watching reality televison or sport and more time actually investigating this can find these truths, as confusing as they may be.

I'm not saying every internet rumour should be taken seriously. If you haven't noticed the world is getting very unbalanced, earth changes are here, as predicted, and the official angle is a charade. You have your head in the sand and you are a sheep if you believe the mainstream media is telling it like it is.

Do you know what is really going down with the BP oil spill? It is not what is reported each night. Those repors are simple entertainment for simple people.

Will we survive 2012 without a major global cataclysm? Be sure to acknowledge the history from the Sumerians, The Egyptians, Mayans, Hindus, Buddhist, ancient occult societies, Hopi Indians and so on. Signs were seen over the sun cycles and the planetary movements, and many cultures acknowledged them and recorded them for prosperity in stone, on walls, in texts, in legend, in folklore, in song.........even the most primative cultres such as Australian Aboriginals and the Dogon of Mali were aware of things we are only discovering as science fact now.

So when a NASA employee slips that he may have been privy to a slip up where foreknowledge of earth change or an event such as a solar flare or a stray near earth object discovered at the last minute, or a huge unknown object moving intelligently in out athmosphere, it may well actually bepossible, it might not be a hoax.

It will continue to become more and more common. The time has come.

The events may seem random, and unpredictable, but the patterns are not.

DOOM DOOM DOOM!!! Or at least humans are about to expand their collective knowledge.

HAARP is real. Chemtrails are real. Even ufos are real! What exactly they are may not be common knowledge. But all you debunkers who think because you don't know about it means it isn't there, are ignorant.

You are sheep. You will die peacefully because you will not see the end coming. It is actually a human reaction designed to help you exist without irrational fears. it is better for yor health.

Unfortunately nothing larger than a small rat sized mammal survived the last global catacliysm. You would think humans would be more redily accepting the wealth of information we can consolidate now. But no. Humans are in essence simple creatures.

Credible people have been trying to tell you to wake up, but 99% choose to deny it, because they are apathetic.

Every mad conspiracy rings an element of truth eventually, and the sheep rarely acknowledge their denial, they simply accept the paradigm shift.

I prefer to investigate but I am not human.

The earthquake prediction was right. It was a very large quake, and could easily have caused a devestating tsunami.

I could tell you all why it was known about, but too many people would make stupid comments.

And I must return to my planet.

Blip!