Happy Sim Card Net Access To Pc

Jingthing

My DSL is down for a long time so I was looking into a temporary solution to get net access at home.

I couldn't find dialup access cards anymore, do they exist these days?

Anyway I found this offer from Happy for Sim cards. You need a wireless card (which I don't have yet), you stick in the Happy simcard, stick the USB card into your PC or laptop, and then ... not sure.

I assume it then connects automatically into the Happy network, same as for phones, yes?

What are the speeds? I assume bad.

How do you top up on a computer? Is there an interface for doing that on the computer or do you have to stick the SIM card into a phone to do that? Or does 7-11 have a way to take the actual raw sim and add the money?

Thanks!

I have DTAC Air-card as a last way out but there are others as well...

It works well.. no complaints...

It is just a USB modem and a simcard... I bought for 2700 including 100h/month for 3 months and then I just extended it and there are some crap-ware for extending the contract, but it runs only on Windows (MAC ? anyone tested?) and it didn't work anyway (yes we tested on my wifes netbook Win7)...

It is easier to just go to DTAC and pay...

Speed sux if you are not in a 3G area...

3.6 Mbps is max speed if you have 3G otherwise you are down to maybe 70kbps or so, I haven't checked exactly... It's enough when you are traveling...

Martin

Edited by siamect

Ok, so you are looking to buy a SIM and put it in an Aircard. You might look at a DTAC package at their shops (card/sim) I think my girlfriend said she paid B1500. There is a promo for an "internet SIM now B300. You can cheap it out buy buying the dongle and hen the Aircard but it will be about same price. I'd just buy th eDTAC that way if you have trouble...

You can connect to internet on your phone B1 per min w/o package

Currently DTAC has a promo buy 50hrs get 50free= 100 B200.

Speed is OK but Id go to internet cafe to up/download serious data. Sometimes it gets choked up a bit.

She tops up with KBank I think - Bank SIM.

I got my DSL back so I didn't bother with the Happy fix.

A few followup questions --

Do wireless cards exist that have a port for entering other devices, in my case, a Vonage box? The same format of port as you find on routers.

I know wireless routers come with ports, asking about the USB devices that you might use for Happy, etc.

Does Thailand offer any universal 24/7 wireless access services where you just pay a flat fee rather than metered (that you could get with a USB air modem, rather than a modem connected to phone line or cable tv line?

If so, in Pattaya/Jomtien?

Edited by Jingthing

Do wireless cards exist that have a port for entering other devices, in my case, a Vonage box? The same format of port as you find on routers.

Not directly. There are however routers which have a USB port in which you can stick your USB modem (as opposed to stick it in your PC). You then could attach any device to this router and it would have internet access.

As you mention vonage, the speeds you get using those USB sticks will not be sufficient most of the times for quality phone calls (unless in a 3G zone).

Does Thailand offer any universal 24/7 wireless access services where you just pay a flat fee rather than metered

Yes they do. AIS is 695 Baht/month for 24/7 unlimited, Dtac is 1006 Baht/month for unlimited, or 650 Baht for 1 month 24/7 but with a 1 Gb data transfer limit..

Available in Pattaya/Jomtien, and on both operator's pre-paid sim cards.

As you mention Pattaya/Jomtien, you might consider hutch, which uses the CDMA-EV-DO network in Pattaya. On a bad day it will be still double the speed as regular GPRS/EDGE, on a good day it will be almost as fast as a 2M ADSL connection. More info: +++ MBI +++

Thanks, Monty for that excellent information!

About Hutch, I noticed on their website it says foreigners must have a WORK PERMIT to get service. Are they strict about that? Seems silly to turn down the money of other long term expats such as retirees.

Does the Hutch device connect via USB port? If so could it be used indirectly with a router with USB connection so that other ports could be used (example Vonage)?

Also I find their pricing a little odd. What's the difference of the service with the 3900 and 11,900 annual fees?

http://www.hutch.co.th/mbi/postpaid/index_en.htm

: Suitable for on-line life with unlimited Net access

Promotion Device

Hutch EC-150 (Baht) Monthly Fee

(Baht/month) Data Transfer

(Hours) Exceeding

Data Usage

(Baht/minute)

Unlimited Net Access 3,900.- 999.- Unlimited -

Annual Lump Sum 11,900.- - Unlimited

For 1 Year

Edited by Jingthing

Thanks, Monty for that excellent information!

About Hutch, I noticed on their website it says foreigners must have a WORK PERMIT to get service. Are they strict about that? Seems silly to turn down the money of other long term expats such as retirees.

Does the Hutch device connect via USB port? If so could it be used indirectly with a router with USB connection so that other ports could be used (example Vonage)?

Also I find their pricing a little odd. What's the difference of the service with the 3900 and 11,900 annual fees?

+++ MBI +++

: Suitable for on-line life with unlimited Net access

Promotion Device

Hutch EC-150 (Baht) Monthly Fee

(Baht/month) Data Transfer

(Hours) Exceeding

Data Usage

(Baht/minute)

Unlimited Net Access 3,900.- 999.- Unlimited -

Annual Lump Sum 11,900.- - Unlimited

For 1 Year

The first you have to pay 3900 baht for the modem and then 999 baht per month, with no minimum term.

The second you are paying for twelve months up front and the cost of the modem is included.