The Young Ones

Do you remember 'The Young Ones' on the BBC?  What was your favourite episode?

I always thought "the Young Ones" was anarchly brilliant if a little retrospective, with its constant reference to the youth movements of yesterday. There were also some aspects of the episodes that contained elements of the under produced college revue - fresh, new, but needing a little more serious editing. Although, all of this this was understandable in a time when young new comedians were learning their trade and at the same time, trying to come to terms with the tough realities of Thatcherism.

From "Flood":

Neil: It was getting really hot. Then I thought oh no, I should have put out that sociology file that was burning on Rick's bed.

Vyvyan: Yeah, I did that. Trying to make Rick think I was hiding in his bedroom.

Neil: What? You set fire to Rick's bedroom? I think that's a really selfish thing to do Vyvyan. I was hiding in there - you could have given me away!

But Adrian Edmondson and Rik Mayall learnt a lot from their experimentations in the "Young Ones" to write and star in what must be remembered as their masterpiece - the unforgettable "Bottom".

Edited by Thomas_Merton

Loved the Young Ones. Although, as a kid...I am sure alot of the sattire went over my head. It was very popular in Australia on the ABC . Even had that the Cliff Richard/Young Ones 'Living Doll '

My fav character was poor, ole Neil the hippy . I remember one episode where all his lentils got trashed :o

Fav episode...the Lion, Witch and Wardrobe take off, featuring Alexi Sayle(sp) doing a Jack Nicholson take off .

It was a great series...but Goodies was better :D

Loved the Young Ones. Although, as a kid...I am sure alot of the sattire went over my head.

True - I loved it when I was in school, but didn't get a lot of humour until I recently downloaded most of the episodes to watch again.

Bambi is my favourite.

I loved also the weekly band spot.

Loved the Young Ones. Although, as a kid...I am sure alot of the sattire went over my head.

True - I loved it when I was in school, but didn't get a lot of humour until I recently downloaded most of the episodes to watch again.

Bambi is my favourite.

I loved also the weekly band spot.

The young ones is a cult classic.....so original, i remember in bambi, viv stuck his head out the window on the train, because the sign said not to and his head hit something outside and came off.....the train stopped and viv got off to look for his head, he was walking up to it and his haid said, "you took your time you bastardt" so his body football kicked it all the way down the tracks......classic anarchic comedy..... :o

Mine would have to be the episode where the boys go to university challenge especially the bit where vyvyans head gets taken off when he sticks it out the window of the train :D

That would be "Bambi", daleyboy

Fond memories:

Bambi: "Who holds the world record for the number of marshmallows stuffed up one nostril?"

Vyv: "Toxteth O'Grady, USA, 143"

Bambi: "correct. World's rudest bottom-burp??"

Neil: "Rick. England"

Bambi: "correct"

Rick: "It is not! You bast@rds!"

(from memory, excuse paraphrasing errors :o )

Remember the one when they all were sick with colds?  Neil ended up with a black plastic garbage bag over his head filled up with god knows what? 

Icky, but funny!

That episode was actually called 'Snot' wasn't it?

What about the one where Vivian ate the TV so to avoid paying the license fee and when the inspector came round Vivian sat there with the plug hanging out of his mouth and they all swore they had never had a TV. :o

I had been working out in Saudi so I when I came back in 84 and saw the title I genuinely thought it was something to do with Cliff Richard. I tuned into the episode where they were off to University Challenge. I couldn't believe what I saw.

The best bit was when the washing machine spat out the clothes because they were so dirty.

Brilliant series and actors, even the Ozzies can't dispute that British comedy is the best in the world.

Does anyone remeber the "Comic Strip Presents" series?

The Yob being my personal favourite , a spoof on "The Fly".

Absolute genius.

:o

I liked the episode when they had a party. I can't remember the name.

When rick pulled out the tampon from the girls bag and said "oh look it's a little mouse. Mousey ,mousey mousey.

When he was trying to get the party going he jumped up and shouted "anyone like the human league" and put 'Dare' on the stereo, the police crashed through the door and smashed it. Classic.

There so many funny scenes in the series.

I'd like to see it now to see how much it has dated , and if it's still funny.

I liked the episode when they had a party. I can't remember the name.

When rick pulled out the tampon from the girls bag and said "oh look it's a little mouse. Mousey ,mousey mousey.

When he was trying to get the party going he jumped up and shouted "anyone like the human league" and put 'Dare' on the stereo, the police crashed through the door and smashed it. Classic.

There so many funny scenes in the series.

I'd like to see it now to see how much it has dated , and if it's still funny.

"Hello.... this is Captain Warlock coming through to you on the intergalactic airwaves!" :o

"Rick........Rick.......this is the voice of your conscience speaking!" :D

Brilliant series and actors, even the Ozzies can't dispute that British comedy is the best in the world.

Absolute genius.

I dunno Chonabot. Kath and Kim is a bloody hilarious piss take on suburban Australiana. I have the first two series on DVD over here, and it's VERY funny. In fact, I think every Australian knows someone like Kath and Kim.

Absolute genius.

I dunno Chonabot. Kath and Kim is a bloody hilarious piss take on suburban Australiana. I have the first two series on DVD over here, and it's VERY funny. In fact, I think every Australian knows someone like Kath and Kim.

I think Kath and Kim has just started over here. Have'nt seen it yet.

Absolute genius.

Have to admit, british comedy is bloody good! Growing up used to watch most comedy on ABC Television.... some of the best in the world for sure.....

I thought the best Comic Strip presents........ episode was "Mr. Jolly lives next door" with Peter Cook.

Yes that was a top one as well , Peter Cook was a legend. Derek and CLive were the best.

:D

ps Kath and Kim is on in UK now and it's very funny indeed , even though a bit of it goes over my bonce. :o