Charity For Street Children From Bangkok Slums

Cloggy

I browsed through the different folders of thaivisa forum but did not see any specific section on charities in Thailand.

I would like to start this threat to find out which charities in Thailand are reliable and effective. I am looking to donate regularily to a charity that supports and educates slum children in Bangkok or even better to become long term foster parent for some Thai kids.

In the past I donated to Child protection foundation, but this one seems to have worked itself in large debts through loan sharks. A second one I sponsored in the past is the Chaiyapruk Foundation, who has done a lot of good work with a shelter in Nakorn Nayok.

Can anyone advise which charity foundations are looking after slum kids and give them a home and education in Bangkok itself?

I hope through this topic I will also be able to avoid charity scams.

Cloggy,

There are many organisations and orphanages working in Thailand. Personally, I think Rajvithi Home for Girls is doing a fantastic job.

Lots of people donate. Especially during weekends when it's popular to show up with a box of toys or candy. I get the impression a lot of these people are actually trying to improve on there own karma. But as scary it may sound, these orphanages are in desperate need of money, and it is always better to donate a sum of money than spend it on candy and toys.

::: Rajvithi Home for Girls :: Bureau of Anti-Trafficking in Women and Children :::

Good on you, you're doing the right thing.

I donate to the Phayathai Babies Home.

http://www.phayathaibabieshome.go.th/

I think it does not matter so much which orphanage or organization you donate too. All of them will try and do their best to deal with the problems that they see, and if one has more resources than another then the number of cases they take in will automatically adjust to the new reality. There is certainly much more demand for assistance than there is charity available.

I would just say find one that you feel comfortable with and give what you can. I think the idea of becoming a foster parent is a wonderful idea. However, I am not sure you will be deemed suitable if you are not a Thai national. The Phayathai Babies Home has programs for this. You could ask, but to the best of my knowledge they do not speak English. I would suggest if you are going to inquire about this you have your Thai partner initiate the question.

Edited by gregb

Father Joe has been helping the kids in the slums of Bangkok for over 30 years. Their primary focus is on education of slums children and this seems to match with what you are looking for. They also have a progeam where you can sponsor a child which also sounds like something that you may be interested in.

Check out some web pages below for more info...

Human Developement Foundation

Article about Father Joe

The was also a book written about his work in the Bangkok slums, it really is a good read and it is clear from the stories that he is really committed to helping the kids in the slums. In some of the stories, it is clear that he is willing to fight and pressure government agencies when needed and has even put his own personal safety on the line to help many of these kids.

Welcome to the Bangkok Slaughterhouse

Edited by CWMcMurray

Thanks for all your suggestions. I will have my wife visit some of them and see how they spend their money. It looks like Father Joe has been in Thailand for quite some years and also got a lot of positive reviews in the international media.

I hope that this email thread will continue as Forethat mentioned there are many organizations operating in Thailand. Question remains how much of the donated money is actually spend on the kids within each charity organization...