Visa For Son

Hello,

I have been searching for information with regard to my wife and son going to Thailand for holiday. But find the different visa types a little confusing.

My wife is Thai and is currently living with me in the UK on a 2yr residency visa. My 9 month old son was born here in the UK and holds a UK passport and not a Thai passport. They plan to goto Thailand in October for 7 weeks to see family and friends for a couple of weeks and then I will be joining them for just short of four weeks. In the four weeks we plan to cross into Laos for a day, but dont plan on staying overnight. I understand that my son will require a visa for this trip and it will need to be arranged beforehand. I believe this could be done in Hull which is only about 45 mins away from me which is great.

I have looked on the Royal Thai Consulate Website and it looks like there are two options:

Tourist Visa - 60 day

Non Immigrant Visa - Cat O

I guess that the second option would be the best choice, as they are visiting family. There are also the options of single or multiple Entry. As we plan to goto Laos, would a multiple entry be required?

Thanks in advance,

Paul

The best option would be to obtain a Thai passport for your son from the Embassy. Use that for Thai/Lao travel.

If using the UK passport a free tourist visa (probably not free from Honorary Consulates)) would be the best option as that would remove any airline problem with not having return within 30 days. There is no overstay charge for a child so no need for longer visa or extension of stay payments.

If using the UK passport a free tourist visa (probably not free from Honorary Consulates)) would be the best option as that would remove any airline problem with not having return within 30 days. There is no overstay charge for a child so no need for longer visa or extension of stay payments.

How do I obtain a free tourist visa?

Do you mean by "Airline Problem"?

It sounds like the best way would be overstay if they are not going to charge. But wouldnt immigration give me or my wife some hassle about this?

The best option is to obtain a Thai birth certificate from Embassy and then a passport and have him use that for entry/exit of Thailand. His UK passport can be shown on exit of Thailand to prove he needs not visa for the UK.

Apply at an Official Government staffed Consulate (as in Embassy) if you want free. Others may charge service fees to cover there cost of service under the free visa program.

Airlines require on onward ticket within 30 days of arrival for travel without a visa (those using visa exempt 30 day entry). Having a visa avoids that problem.

There will not be any issue with overstay for a child - but expect it to be mentioned and perhaps a small notation in passport (which has not later effects) when departing. If mother wants she can extend child's stay for one year for 1,900 baht at Immigration office.

sounds like if you are worried about money a Thai passport will be the cheapest way to go. Only costs the equivalent of 1000 baht (20 odd pounds). A Thai passport will allow 30 day visa free entry into Laos and of course unlimited entry into Thailand.

To go into Laos on a British Passport will cost more as UK citizens need to pay for a visa to Laos.

In regarding to your wife (Thai citizen with UK Residency Visa) and son (UK passport holder) wish to travel to Thailand to visit relatives.

As you wife is still considered as a Thai citizen, she would have no trouble of coming back to Thailand, the only concern would be when going back to UK, you would have to check with the UK government sector whether there would be any prohibit or limitation in related to her leaving UK that would result as her losing her UK Residence.

For your son, as he is a UK passport holder. You (your son) would have 2 options, as his total stay is 11 weeks in Thailand.

One option would be to apply for a tourist visa at The Royal Thai Consulate in Hull of which would be valid for a period of 2 months and you are eligible to apply for another 1 month extension at the Immigration Head Office in Chaengwattana Road. Be sure to get a single re-entry permit at Immigration before going to Laos .

The other option would be to apply for a Non-Immigrant “O” (with Thai mother) Visa, with this category, your son would get a single 90 day visa. Be sure to get the reentry permit at Thai Immigration before going to Laos as well.

[sunbelt][/sunbelt]

The total stay is 7 week from OP and Laos visit is during the last 4 weeks of the stay. If less than 15 days before departure a visa exempt entry could serve child on return from Laos with a UK passport.

But maintain that a Thai passport is the best option.