Thai Police To Impose Severe Penalty For Violators Of Alcohol Act

webfact

Illegal bars on Sukhumvit road??? never heard about it... :):D:D

Bangkok Post ran a detailed article about illegal bars and drug dealers on Sukhumvit between Soi 3 and 5 and on Soi 4 (around Nana). Perhaps this article is the reason why the government finally does something. But it will probably be short-lived. Clean-up the place and 1 month later everything is back to "normal".

The illegal bars run all the way down to Asoke. Absolute bl**dy menace.

• Replies 70
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Once again we have politicians shooting their mouths of.

Maybe you can enforce this in the major cities of Thailand but in the small villages where the local store sells alcohol to anybody regardless of age will never stop. In my village I have kids who are 7 years old buying,drinking and getting drunk on Leo.

I have talked to the shoip owner about this and she does not care one iota. As long as she gets her 60 baht for a bottle she is happy.

It is a sad story and one that cannot be fixed by a policy in a day! It will take a good education and family responsiblity to fix it.

Just on the police in Thailand, I would like to see all those people who pretend to be police,emergency services and who are not, banned from Thailand. I would also like to see all police and army uniforms banned with only the authorities allowed to wear the uniforms and drive the Govt allocated police cars and other emegency services vehicles.

There is just too much "fake fake emergency services" in Thailand.

• Like 1

What will happen to Bumrungrad and Yanhee Hospitals? Yanhee sells beer in the cafeteria in the main floor and Bumrungrad has a full on pub. Bumrungrad also has a McDonald's too, hospitals selling beer and Big Macs, the rest of the world could learn something from that.

"... prohibits the selling of alcohol in temples, hospitals, pharmacies, government agencies and public parks... "

After being here for years can't remember ever seeing any for sale in these places! But the fine will really deter me - 3,000, wow - heavy man!!!

ohmy.gif

Actually, I did buy some beer on temple grounds a couple of years ago at a rocket festival in Udon Thani. How do they fine the monks? I thought monks weren't allowed to touch money, but they still seem to have plenty of it.

BANGKOK (NNT) -- The police is prepared to utilize strict measures to penalize violators against restricted alcohol distribution in public utilities.

by definition a public utility is a phone company, water company, gas company but not what they are talking about. :)

I think you are getting confused with US or UK utility companies. Public utilities has a completely different meaning in many countries.

Show us, please your completely different meaning.

Here is what Panitan and NNT consider to be utilities. Cutting of public utilities gets technical review : National News Bureau of Thailand

>Police to impose severe penalty for violators of Alcohol Act

Yeah....[YAWN]....yet another meanless announcement of the enforcement never-to-be-enforced, but to gather more tips with official-looking excuse... Hey, BiBs, why not to focus on something REALLY important to this country??

The question is rhetoric, of course...and Thais were drink, drinking now and will be drinking of course.

Just because there is NO LOGIC on this "law", and no strong hand to enforce ANY law (whatever it may describe). Even me myself know where to get alcohol during banned hours (or even 24/7) - just across my Soi - how could Thais do not know that and even much better than me? :)

Alcohol is a very dangerouse substance, especially for young people, so clamping down on the sale of alcohol is a REALLY important issue. It will help save lives and help keep people more healthy. I'm not surprsied that some people on this forum disagreee, as alcohol seems to be the meaning of life to some of them.

It is nice to know that there is at least one of you out there with some common sense and a sober outlook, there is hope after all.

I'll drink to that!!!

and what about the countless street-sellers in Patong? there are hundreds of opportunities to have a street beer while walikng home after a night out. Are the cops going to deny themselves the sellers fee they take off these ppl? pom kid-wah mai chai!!

The policy, under the Alcohol Beverage Control Act 2008 prohibits the selling of alcohol in temples, hospitals, pharmacies, government agencies and public parks. The policy, stated in the Royal Gazette yesterday will be fully enforced today.

\

I am looking out for tomorrow...

What they should do is ban the setting up of illegal bars along roads like Sukhumvit. Now that would make sense to me.

Illegal bars on Sukhumvit road??? never heard about it... :):D:D

You know, as you mention it I spotted some illegal street bars on Sukhumvit the other night but I don't think the police have noticed them yet. I mean they are preety hard to spot being next to the road with people drinking lights and so on.

Edited by landofthefree

>Police to impose severe penalty for violators of Alcohol Act

Yeah....[YAWN]....yet another meanless announcement of the enforcement never-to-be-enforced, but to gather more tips with official-looking excuse... Hey, BiBs, why not to focus on something REALLY important to this country??

The question is rhetoric, of course...and Thais were drink, drinking now and will be drinking of course.

Just because there is NO LOGIC on this "law", and no strong hand to enforce ANY law (whatever it may describe). Even me myself know where to get alcohol during banned hours (or even 24/7) - just across my Soi - how could Thais do not know that and even much better than me? :)

Alcohol is a very dangerouse substance, especially for young people, so clamping down on the sale of alcohol is a REALLY important issue. It will help save lives and help keep people more healthy. I'm not surprsied that some people on this forum disagreee, as alcohol seems to be the meaning of life to some of them.

It is nice to know that there is at least one of you out there with some common sense and a sober outlook, there is hope after all.

I'll drink to that!!!

I find that my life has improved since i found that I can ask Dr Chang for advice on important issues. i recomend everyone should consult with the Dr every now and then.

Meanwhile all the important issues are conveniently forgotten.

No, they are not forgotten. A commission is usually created to study the important issues in detail and make recommendations. It's just the government never takes action on the details and recommendations when the commission makes its report a couple years later. But then a new government is in power and since the commission was not setup by that new goverment, the commission report is sold for scrape. But never fear, the new government starts a new commission with its own people on it. The cycle continues.

Really? Maybe they will take a lesson from the UK and spend 12 years and UKP 200million on an enquiry into events that took place 38 years ago! If they do that we can then all say that things are being done to a world class standard here. Who cares if the police crack down on infringements of any law here? Surely it only affects people who break the law directly or indirectly (no girls in bars under 20 years old good!)

Here's a cute idea: to save keyboard and reading-time all round, could TV just have

a Default reply which would be activated to every story about intitiatives by the Thai Police ?

Something along the lines : "Just another method to extract Tea Money / Much Easier Than

Going After Real Criminals / Just About Protecting Their Own Slice Of A Market", blah, blah...

Then everybodys' tired brains could rest up and benefit from cliche-avoidance.

Violators arrested for selling alcohol to minors under 20 years old will be fined 6,000 THB, 12,000 THB and 20,000 respectively

so that is every bar, club, 7 - 11 , family mart and mom and pop store in thailand ....

and the fine for not paying the fine ? most probably half the price...

just another excuse for tea money

So what? Whether the violator gets a receipt or not is irrelevant. Half the price is still a lot, considering the profit per bottle or can, so the law will be effective.

BANGKOK (NNT) -- The police is prepared to utilize strict measures to penalize violators against restricted alcohol distribution in public utilities.

by definition a public utility is a phone company, water company, gas company but not what they are talking about. :)

Whose definition? - And please consider that this is Thailand, in which English is a foreign language. If you want to know the real meaning of the announcement / decree / law, read it in Thai.

"... prohibits the selling of alcohol in temples, hospitals, pharmacies, government agencies and public parks... "

After being here for years can't remember ever seeing any for sale in these places! But the fine will really deter me - 3,000, wow - heavy man!!!

ohmy.gif

The Pharmacy in our village sells beer and probably will continue to do so.

Kindly advise whether the pharmacy is licenced to seel alcohol. My guess is they are, because it is not too difficult or expensive to get the licence (legally, that is).

I understand the new law merely states that people who are not licenced to sell alcohol will now be fined at certain locations where it is inappropriate on top of illegal to sell without licence. Another "nail in the coffin" (pun intended, reference elsewhere) of anarchy. These people would have been arrested, not only fined, in many other countries.

Seems like the predominant issue concerning the police be it selling booze or gambling is that the dastardly perpetrators should be sitting down apparently not harming anyone at all.

Is it because the villains; being seated, are unable to quickly runaway? In which case, I suggest that the BIB be issued running shorts to enable them to chase more fleet of foot master criminals who appear to use such dastardly transport as fleet of foot.

Anyone know what the fine is for getting caught stealing 6 beers? Might be less than selling 6 beers illegally so do illegal vendors a favor and steal your beer! Stupid laws. I mean what's wrong with buying a beer in the park on a sunny day? You can't buy a beer in Tescos between 2-5pm but you can buy a whole box of Johnny Walker. Where's the logic? You can't buy alcohol legally at certain times unless you buy a lot. hmmmmm? People have been drinking for thousands of years so even an outright ban won't change anything. People will drink, they will smoke and they will gamble. Take away the legal drugs and watch the rise in the current illegal drug market.

There is nothing wrong with buying a beer in the park on a sunny day, but there is something wrong with selling any human consumables without a licence anywhere. Not the buyers get fined, the sellers get fined. Please stay with the facts.

The logic of not allowing sales of less than 10 liters of alcoholic beverages during certain hours is to protect the youths. They cannot afford to buy 10 liters, but many wholesalers cannot stop their business during these black-out hours. That said, I am totally against these black-out hours which are dating back to Thaksin's times. It is not allowed to sell alcohol to people under 20 years of age anyway. In addition, there is a law that alcohol cannot be sold in the vicinity of learning institutions. Both and either one of these laws should suffice to protect the youths. Why oh why punish the whole rest of the population?

ohmy.gif

Actually, I did buy some beer on temple grounds a couple of years ago at a rocket festival in Udon Thani. How do they fine the monks? I thought monks weren't allowed to touch money, but they still seem to have plenty of it.

Monks are allowed to touch money. However, they are not allowed to consume alcohol - by their religion, not by a law made by politicians. Many temple fairs offer alcohol, which is OK for the general population to consume.

ohmy.gif

Monks are allowed to touch money. However, they are not allowed to consume alcohol - by their religion, not by a law made by politicians. Many temple fairs offer alcohol, which is OK for the general population to consume.

Not if it is offered for sale inside the temple.

As for why people would want to be intoxicated inside a temple, I will wait for bizarre justification. And being offered a sip of wine from a cup in other western faiths isn't a justifiable comparison.

Edited by Thai at Heart

ohmy.gif

Not if it is offered for sale inside the temple.

As for why people would want to be intoxicated inside a temple, I will wait for bizarre justification. And being offered a sip of wine from a cup in other western faiths isn't a justifiable comparison.

If there is a law (in the sense of having passed legislation) against consuming alcohol inside a temple, kindly point me to it. I know that religious laws or regulations don't approve of it, but that is another dimension.

Since you are asking why people want to be intoxicated inside a temple, I assume you have never been to an upcountry temple party. Or, of course, you do not like alcohol at all. Let my answer be: They do it because they enjoy it. Is that bizarre?

Yawnnnnn!!  :D

Why was this amalgamation of ridiculousClancy Wiggum mafia  not  disbanded after their despicable behaviour,  acting effectively as Red Shirt agents against the Govt. recently?  :D

Yet more tightening - for one obvious reason - of mad laws first introduced by whackjob cop hero Thaky!  :)

How about starting with the motorcycle-taxi scum with loud exhausts 24 hours a day disturbing the peace of the tax payers? Not even these scum they can control how are they going to stop the sales and consumption of alcohol?

If there is a law (in the sense of having passed legislation) against consuming alcohol inside a temple, kindly point me to it. I know that religious laws or regulations don't approve of it, but that is another dimension.

Since you are asking why people want to be intoxicated inside a temple, I assume you have never been to an upcountry temple party. Or, of course, you do not like alcohol at all. Let my answer be: They do it because they enjoy it. Is that bizarre?

There is nothing against consuming it. There is a law, as mentioned in the OP that it should not be sold.

The policy, under the Alcohol Beverage Control Act 2008 prohibits the selling of alcohol in temples, hospitals, pharmacies, government agencies and public parks

Read more: Thai Police To Impose Severe Penalty For Violators Of Alcohol Act - Thailand Forum Thai Police To Impose Severe Penalty For Violators Of Alcohol Act - Thailand Forum

As I mentioned, since the authorities get all humpty about skimpy dress, or dance shows in temples, the point would be to presume that a temple is a place worthy of a certain degree of decorum. I am sure all Thai people consider this when they buy their sangtip and go sit under a tree for quiet contemplation.

As for having never been in an upcountry temple, was in one only last week actually near Si Chompoo.

Alcohol is a very dangerouse substance, especially for young people, so clamping down on the sale of alcohol is a REALLY important issue. It will help save lives and help keep people more healthy.

Yes, you're right - but not in this country. In THIS country noone [in the government] cares people. Especially young ones.

Sad but true. Wake up, man.

I have to laugh. Funny story, I was standing outside the Baghdad Cafe in Samsen Road one night and the police came, there were only staff in the cafe after closing time and no drinks on the tables at all. They took my manager away to KS Road Police Station, 10 minutes later they called me to ask if I could have one of the staff deliver a half finished bottle of Heineken, this was to provide them with evidence. Don't they realise how much credibility they lose with lame tricks like this. We didn't pay a bribe so were fined 80 Baht for the transgression. A lot of trouble just to prove some point when the infamous all night bar owned by BiBs in Soi 6 is open 24/7.

Alcohol is a very dangerouse substance, especially for young people, so clamping down on the sale of alcohol is a REALLY important issue. It will help save lives and help keep people more healthy.

In the 2000+ year recorded history of humankind, there have been quite a number of governments, religions and other entities that have agreed with you and attempted to force their opinions on their respective society. Not a one in all those thousands of years has ever succeeded. Though they've squandered vast amounts of resources in their attempts, and persecuted large numbers of harmless people.

And it's a good thing too (that they all failed -- as they always will), given that every single one of them either didn't know or ignored that your "help keep people more healthy" is extremely misleading (or put bluntly, wrong) -- that (double-blind) study after study after study shows that tea-totalers consistently die younger and live less healthy lives than moderate drinkers.

I'd opine that another good thing about you and them having failed to force your opinions on others is that whole "free will" thing.

If you think dong or not doing something makes you more healthy, go for it. Don't force it on others though. Especially because there's no such thing as authority on what's healthy. And ignoring the little that we do know puts you at the low end of the "authority spectrum."

Edited by ajc1970