Shipping Car To Thailand

I have a classic sports car in the uk and have been umming and ahhing about whether to bring it over here (Thailand). Since I live here for 9 months out of the year and most of the time the car is just rotting in a garge in the uk, I might as well get some real enjoyment out of it.

Any advice about shipping it out here (customs/import, taxes, insurance) would be appreciated.

If you dont mind paying 300% tax plus ,on the imported car then go ahead,also shipping cost,tea money etc etc.

dont even think about it, forget it.take a look in the motor forum section,the customs guys will rip the arse out of ya :whistling: .

About 6 years ago I was thinking about bringing my MGB over to Thailand. It was a much loved car.

I did some research and found that 'classic' cars (I think that means over 25 years old) are not subject to customs & excise duties. There are other fees and taxes, but they are not too heavy.

However, a friend of mine warned me about corruption by customs officials who can hold your car for ransom until you pay an 'inspection fee', 'storage fee' or 'release fee'. I also read, on Thaivisa, many horror stories about this corruption.

Also, there are substantial costs in getting the car registered here.

In the end I decided against importing my car and it went to a good home in the UK.

When my wife (Thai) imported our household goods from the UK to Thailand, as a returning citizen (ie- no duties to pay) everything went smoothly until the customs dept refused to release the goods to our shipping company unless an 'inspection fee' of 45,000 THB was paid.

We argued for a while, but after 2 weeks we decided we could live without the hassle so we paid.

When they got to our home roughly half of the imported items were damaged (dented and scratched) and a couple of things were missing altogether.

So, sadly - I recommend finding a good home for your baby.

About 6 years ago I was thinking about bringing my MGB over to Thailand. It was a much loved car.

I did some research and found that 'classic' cars (I think that means over 25 years old) are not subject to customs & excise duties. There are other fees and taxes, but they are not too heavy.

However, a friend of mine warned me about corruption by customs officials who can hold your car for ransom until you pay an 'inspection fee', 'storage fee' or 'release fee'. I also read, on Thaivisa, many horror stories about this corruption.

Also, there are substantial costs in getting the car registered here.

In the end I decided against importing my car and it went to a good home in the UK.

When my wife (Thai) imported our household goods from the UK to Thailand, as a returning citizen (ie- no duties to pay) everything went smoothly until the customs dept refused to release the goods to our shipping company unless an 'inspection fee' of 45,000 THB was paid.

We argued for a while, but after 2 weeks we decided we could live without the hassle so we paid.

When they got to our home roughly half of the imported items were damaged (dented and scratched) and a couple of things were missing altogether.

So, sadly - I recommend finding a good home for your baby.

Yes, it is a very very very sad situation. Which l might add makes my blood boil, especially if the other way round the UK would bend over back wards to help a ligit foreigner and if corruption was involved the customs guy would be in jail. BUT, most things are the same here, no law, just back handers.

for a car or bike, just forget about it. If you ever get it out of customs, it will probably be damaged

1st Class Insurance for a car older than 10 years is hard or impossible to find

for housholdgoods in a container, its better have agent offer 25k up front for not checking/opening container at all. Thats what I did in 2003, and 20' container arrived locked at my home in Phuket as I locked it back home in Scandinavia

Edited by katabeachbum

What you want to do with a classic car here anyway? Drunken Somchai gonna hit your "classic", soner or later, with his 30 year old Pick Up and you don't get anything, becausae he don't have any insurance, tax sticker and Drive license.

Yes, i know i have some classice cars as well, but it's not worth it. I bought them a while ago, because i was stupid. I wouldn't do it again. Overhere is the best thing to drive a old strong clunker (spraycanned flat black), so you don't need to worry about Somchais and "MOTOCY".

Edited by stingray

Sad indeed.

A 45000THB "inspection fee" wouldn't be too hard to swallow if (and I suppose this is the crux of it) it was 45000THB and not dependent on how much he thinks you can afford.

I like the container idea. Fixed upfront costs and pay the import tax on registration in Thailand. It will have to be transported in a container anyway.

By the way I said "classic" but I think by the real definition it is not (its not over 25 years old). Its a mitsubishi GTO with over 20,000GBP customisations (show car) that I've had for about 10 years. Be a shame to get rid of it and drive a matt black pick-up:(

The container idea is perfect for household items, but not for a car as you could never get it registered and sooner or later you'd run into big problems with a UK plated car. 45K baht would not suffice for a car that customs sees as having extensive mods,and in their opinion, is worth 2 million baht. Best keep it in good hands back home so the car can be taken out for a weekly drive.

Sad indeed.

A 45000THB "inspection fee" wouldn't be too hard to swallow if (and I suppose this is the crux of it) it was 45000THB and not dependent on how much he thinks you can afford.

I like the container idea. Fixed upfront costs and pay the import tax on registration in Thailand. It will have to be transported in a container anyway.

By the way I said "classic" but I think by the real definition it is not (its not over 25 years old). Its a mitsubishi GTO with over 20,000GBP customisations (show car) that I've had for about 10 years. Be a shame to get rid of it and drive a matt black pick-up:(

Why don't u just buy one in Thailand

http://www.taladrod....aspx?cib=400529

Not much more than a new pickup, you could ship the £20K of modded parts from your UK car and use the 10 years knowledge you have about this model to replicated on a new base?

Well. the advice is "DONT". (although I might ship out a 50GBP heap of crap just to see what happens :rolleyes:)

Many thanks all.

It works, then you ship your beloved and all of a sudden your running a car import company without the required dockuments(money)so customs still win.

By the way I said "classic" but I think by the real definition it is not (its not over 25 years old). Its a mitsubishi GTO with over 20,000GBP customisations (show car) that I've had for about 10 years.

Its probably still not worth doing as there is too much room for "negotiation", but its worth knowing that while the post about a car being tax free if it is over 25 years old is not correct (it makes no difference at all), you are technically entitled to a considerably reduced amount of tax the longer you can prove ownership of your car abroad, with 10 years being the maximum; nine years should entitle you to discount of around 70 - 80%.

You might be interested in this company who claim "we make importing simple", offering to "untangle your imports" and give "fast delivery without excuses or hidden costs".

Seems to be what you're looking for.

dhl.com/thailand (see newspaper ads.)

...if only...

You might be interested in this company who claim "we make importing simple", offering to "untangle your imports" and give "fast delivery without excuses or hidden costs".

Seems to be what you're looking for.

dhl.com/thailand (see newspaper ads.)

...if only...

Just like Teera, its just that people never get theyr book, or a recycled book, or no tax info on page 18. Custom confiscates on the road.

• 2 weeks later...

You love the car.

Someone at customs will love it more....and decide to keep it.

EXACTLY what happened to a chap i know, he was told ( by C+E ) " yes all ok ,send it over " when it arrived it was conviscated, he was told in no uncertain terms that he could go to jail for not obtaining a prior import permit and was deported, the car was kept of course, they are ruthless, whatever rate you are told it will be be means bugger all,

I post some information at that forum.

You can read how to calculate import duty.

May be you change your mind to don't import car.

It's not worth. Sell there and buy nice new car in Thailand instead.

I agree, it may become very complicated and frustrated process.

This is the reason you need to take an experienced company that will go through all the process for you and do the Customs Clearance properly.

Thats the only way to do it, otherwise you are getting into a very difficult area with many rules and tax regulations.

I find LogistiZec to be a reliable and trusted company with fair prices and excellent netwrok worldwide.

http://logistizec.com/

This car ws shipped over in this condition June last year.<br>Very undesirable.<br>Customs still cost money as did the import licence, however the car now has a book and this (The book) was very reasonable and easily achieved.<br>You just need to keep the MAGPIE attitude in mind with the customs.<br><br>Everyone will tell you it's not possible, but it is, for a price.<br>So ts down to how much you are willing to pay.<br>ALL cars require and import licence no mattr what their age.<br>The import duty is based on engine size along with horsepower and the age of the car.<br>In the case of the TR6 this is calculated at 218 percent allowing for a 90 percent reduction due to its age.<br>But then there WILL e T money too.<br>It's upto you - Thai speak.<br><br>It can be done - good luck

post-93020-065963900 1279131019_thumb.jp

Edited by wino47

• 4 weeks later...

This car ws shipped over in this condition June last year.<br>Very undesirable.<br>Customs still cost money as did the import licence, however the car now has a book and this (The book) was very reasonable and easily achieved.<br>You just need to keep the MAGPIE attitude in mind with the customs.<br><br>Everyone will tell you it's not possible, but it is, for a price.<br>So ts down to how much you are willing to pay.<br>ALL cars require and import licence no mattr what their age.<br>The import duty is based on engine size along with horsepower and the age of the car.<br>In the case of the TR6 this is calculated at 218 percent allowing for a 90 percent reduction due to its age.<br>But then there WILL e T money too.<br>It's upto you - Thai speak.<br><br>It can be done - good luck

• 1 year later...

Here is the car 12 months down the line and fully restored,<br>The book and number plate was the easy part.

Can you have another go at posting a pic as would love to see how it turned out. Cost?

Sure -

post-93020-0-36150500-1338009191_thumb.j

Edited by wino47