Cheerful Charlies F&C Is For Sale!

ginnyten

I just saw today on Thai Visa Classifieds that our loved Cheerful Charlie is throwing in the towel and has put his business up for sale. I guess his recent trip to England convinced him to sell for some reason. I wish the new owner much luck, but think it will not work without Charlie! He made the place!! Do you agree?

• Replies 153
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Desribed as being "Internationally Famous", I think he's being modest - it's World Famous in Chiang Mai.

It will be sad to see him go. I reckon that he may have had enough of having to listen to the expats' problems. They say it can age you after a while, listening to other people's problems all day. I thought he was beginning to look a lot older than his 37 years of age.

I see that the chippie at Nim City (Nr. Rimping Airport) is also for sale. It sounds like a 'best Fish n Chips in Chiang Mai' snap poll should be called.

Edited by twofortheroad

I've still never been. I drive down Chang Moi road regularly and haven't seen piggies open for a while either. I'm sure there are expats that enjoy the occasional plate of English-style fish and chips, but to build a whole business around this tiny demand is a bit daft IMO.

twofortheroad.

re .... It sounds like a 'best Fish n Chips in Chiang Mai' snap poll should be called

no need ...... no need at all ..... the un irish bar has already won it i think .. mmmm .. their fish is delish : )

dave2

ps .... try the fishermans pie as well ..... its gooood .... post-42592-076695300 1277337439_thumb.jp

twofortheroad.

re .... It sounds like a 'best Fish n Chips in Chiang Mai' snap poll should be called

no need ...... no need at all ..... the un irish bar has already won it i think .. mmmm .. their fish is delish : )

dave2

ps .... try the fishermans pie as well ..... its gooood .... post-42592-076695300 1277337439_thumb.jp

Not even close or in the same league.:D

The fish at the U.N. is good, but freedom fries instead of English chips and wine vinegar instead of malt vinegar. When it comes to fish and chips, I much prefer the old fashioned touch.

Edited by Ulysses G.

I've still never been. I drive down Chang Moi road regularly and haven't seen piggies open for a while either. I'm sure there are expats that enjoy the occasional plate of English-style fish and chips, but to build a whole business around this tiny demand is a bit daft IMO.

Piggies is open every time i go there !

They are open but every time I drive past there the place is completely void of customers.

Desribed as being "Internationally Famous", I think he's being modest - it's World Famous in Chiang Mai.

It will be sad to see him go. I reckon that he may have had enough of having to listen to the expats' problems. They say it can age you after a while, listening to other people's problems all day. I thought he was beginning to look a lot older than his 37 years of age.

I see that the chippie at Nim City (Nr. Rimping Airport) is also for sale. It sounds like a 'best Fish n Chips in Chiang Mai' snap poll should be called.

Sorry to see places that have been in the business in CM for a while close.... Whatever the reason, I wish the best for Charlie.

Maybe that new suggested poll should be "best Fish n Chips :(REMAINING) in Chiang Mai"

Sorry to see places that have been in the business in CM for a while close.... Whatever the reason, I wish the best for Charlie.

Maybe that new suggested poll should be "best Fish n Chips :(REMAINING) in Chiang Mai"

Sad news for all charlies many loyal and satisfied customers, i have read many threads overtime concerning both Charlies likable food and personality some thing that will be very difficult for the new owners to emulate.

Beast wishes for the future.

Sad news for all charlies many loyal and satisfied customers, i have read many threads overtime concerning both Charlies likable food and personality some thing that will be very difficult for the new owners to emulate.

Beast wishes for the future.

No doubt its the tiger in you that wishes "beast " wishes....

:D

twofortheroad.

dave2

Not even close or in the same league.:D

Charlies did the best Fish & Chips in Chiang Mai, followed by the Irish Pub (IMO)

All other pub / restaurants serving F&C, are 'also rans'

As stated earlier, it must be difficult to sustain a business in Chiang Mai based on this one product.

twofortheroad.

re .... It sounds like a  'best Fish n Chips in Chiang Mai' snap poll should be called

no need ...... no need at all ..... the un irish bar has already won it i think  .. mmmm .. their fish is delish : )

dave2

Not even close or in  the same league.:D

Charlies did the best Fish & Chips in Chiang Mai, followed by the Irish Pub (IMO)

All other pub / restaurants serving F&C, are 'also rans'

As stated earlier, it must be difficult to sustain a business in Chiang Mai based on this one product.

dafter still to have 4 or 5 of them trying to do it.

I also thought Charlies was the best Fish and Chips, but admit I never tried the UN Irish Bar....which I guess I have to now.

Tried Piggys a few weeks back. It was ok. I was a bit put off by the sickly girl who was cooking who kept coughing and spluttering as she made my order. i don't think I'll be back.

I do like Pinky's across the road - good sliders...but thats another post.

Good Luck Charlie.

How can we have decent fish and chips in a country that doesnt have a decent newspaper to wrap them in.

Agreed, with malt vinegar, a big gherkin and a couple of large onions.

North of Watford, mushy peas allowed. :rolleyes:

I had dinner at Charlie's Friday night, and everything was just the same. He is hoping to sell, but the most important thing to know at the moment is that he's moving down near the Duangtawan this week, and hopes to be open for business Wednesday night. Don't go looking for fish and chips on Tapae Soi 3!

post-91669-056355500 1277557104_thumb.jp

I had dinner at Charlie's Friday night, and everything was just the same. He is hoping to sell, but the most important thing to know at the moment is that he's moving down near the Duangtawan this week, and hopes to be open for business Wednesday night. Don't go looking for fish and chips on Tapae Soi 3!

If he is selling Cheerful Charlie's Internationally famous fish and chip shop, what will his new venture , 500 metres around the corner be? Cheerful Charlie's Bangers n Mash?

Who was 'Cheerful Charlie' that the place was named after? A movie/TV character?

Edited by twofortheroad

So he wants to sell his Fish and Chip shop to someone and then move a couple of blocks away and open another fish and chip shop? Great idea.That's right up there with "Looking for Investor to Invest 100,000 USD in My Business Idea," another ad on Thaivisa Classifieds.

Edited by getgoin

Thats exactly what the guy who owned the stak house in Loi Khroh did, can't remember the name now "East" something or other), about 4 years ago, sold it as a going concern then re-opened by the river and took all his regulars with him.

The new owners did not last very long I dont think.

Nice way to do business !!!

i saw another business for sale in the classifies a pub/restaurant with indoor/outdoor seating catering to tourists and expats for 2m baht. i heard of one pub for sale at 3.5m, maybe he dropped his price?

sign of the times. as paul weller wrote ' the sign says closed, its a sign of the times'. nice one, weller, la.

Charlie’s business is still thriving and is not done yet.

He planned to move to a better location with more parking and better faculties, which he will do next week.

Since the start of this project, Charlie has suffered health problems and although he is still as cheerful as ever and not desperate to sell his business, I think he would prefer to retire and call it a day.

Charlie will continue on as normal in the new premises, but if he can sell the company Charlie will retire and leave it to the new owners.

post-11344-032932000 1277590364_thumb.jp

Charlie’s business is still thriving and is not done yet.

He planned to move to a better location with more parking and better faculties, which he will do next week.

Since the start of this project, Charlie has suffered health problems and although he is still as cheerful as ever and not desperate to sell his business, I think he would prefer to retire and call it a day.

Charlie will continue on as normal in the new premises, but if he can sell the company Charlie will retire and leave it to the new owners.

You know a lot about Charlie but this post is a bit contradictory.

Plans to move to a better location... next week vs not desperate to sell

Charlie will continue on as normal

Sraight question: You say he is moving next week. So will he close that new venture down if he sells the existing business or will he continue in competition and take his regulars with him.