Brazil And Microsoft

francois

here is a news!

Brazil Shunning Microsoft

Luiz Inacio Lula da Silva, Brazil's President, wants to help Brazil become a country with a significant technology sector. He says that Microsoft's costly licensing fees are a barrier. So he plans on promoting open source software instead.

Open source advocate Sergio Amadeu heads Brazil's National Information Techonology. Amadeau hopes to see open source technology flourish in this country of 170 million. In Brazil, only 10 percent can afford computers at home.

Microsoft worries shutting them out will rob the country of free choice. Microsoft made $318 million in the last fiscal year in Brazil, Microsoft's biggest market in South America. If Brazil succeeds in moving away, others nations could follow.

what do you think of this one?

There are already free databases and statistical software programs out there. We're using them here and they are very professional. It only needs advertisements and word of mouth for them to catch on. Thailand has similar economical problems too.

Maybe Bill's getting worried.

From Australian I.T News.

A shut Gates on open source

James Riley

OCTOBER 23, 2003 

MICROSOFT founder and chairman Bill Gates has slammed moves by political parties in Australia and elsewhere to legislate the adoption of open source software.

In an interview with The Australian at the Microsoft Office System launch in New York, Mr Gates said any such moves by government were wrongheaded and would result in a reduction in public sector productivity.

Mr Gates claimed the open source system was "inferior" and said it represented a false economy in relation to lost opportunities to improve productivity.

"Our position is that organisations should simply buy the best software for their situation," he said.

"Forcing people to use software that is inefficient? Do you want your Government to be efficient?

"Governments are very information-driven. They are not factories. It's all just information," he said.

In the past 10 months, politicians at various levels in Australia, Brazil, China, South Korea and Japan have suggested that government procurement procedures should mandate at least the consideration of open source alternatives to reduce overall IT costs.

China, South Korea and Japan have outlined tentative plans to design their own open source operating system to compete with Microsoft Windows and applications to compete with Microsoft Office as a means of reducing IT pressures on the public purse.

"I think it's just commonsense that people won't choose to use inferior software. People want their tax dollars to go as far as possible, and in most cases they will see more value in the offerings that we provide," Mr Gates said.

The Australian Government, particularly the Australian Taxation Office, Centrelink and various health agencies had invested heavily in XML-based technologies and processes.

Mr Gates said the argument that its software was too expensive was simply wrong. And despite complaints from some Third World governments about Microsoft's global pricing - where the company's software essentially carries the same list price wherever it is sold -- he maintains the company has been the primary driver in pushing down the cost of IT systems.

"Our business model is entirely oriented toward high volume, low price," Mr Gates said. "In any IT project, our software is going to be just 1 or 2 per cent of (the project cost)."

Meanwhile, Mr Gates has renewed Microsoft's recent pledges to radically improve its security procedures in conjunction with the rest of the industry following the unprecedented levels of virus and worm outbreaks in recent months.

"This is a case where the industry and Microsoft need to do better, (although) the vast majority of our customers have not been affected by these problems," Mr Gates said.

"But we take responsibility for the fact that it was too hard for people to know whether they had their firewalls up the right way, and that it was too hard for them to keep their (security patch) software up to date.

"If we can make those (functions) incredibly easy, then we'll bring down the scale of these incidents and the frequency very dramatically."

He said that improving security on all Microsoft functions had been made a primary focus of the company's $US6 billion ($8.6 billion) research and development budget.

open source rules..... the cathedral and the bazaar

http://www.catb.org/~esr/writings/cathedra...thedral-bazaar/

maybe these governments are worried about real security issues..that do not get fixed

http://news.com.com/2100-7355_3-5107904.html?tag=nefd_pop

and on it goes

and I really dunno why bill is worried.. he has made more than enough cash from his product derived from dos to live rather comfortably for the rest of his life... unless of course he believes his own marketing machine..it will be the end of the world as we know it.. maybe not such a bad thing

long live the internet

:o

:o Its a long time before normal people can USE LINUX or any other free open source. I had a raid on the internet shop and of course i did not buy the soft from the shop i bought from pantip from the local computer seller there were already inside the computer. Lucky me the idiot with 10 police as back up only checked for WORDS and WORDS only. I uninstalled it before APEC and he was so angry beucase he was there a week before spying on me and he see the problem inside. Now he did not check the XP and that was my luck. I tried LINUX for 10 days and all my customer gone away to the other internet shops with illegal software and i was foreced to buy LEGAL windows ME cheap under the tabel froma MS emploey hahahahha.

LINUX SUCKS BIG TIME MAC RULES WINDOWS WORKS SOMETIME