Two Questions

Hello,

Two questions.

The first, is it hard to renew an education visa while you are in Thailand and how much does it cost?

Second,

Is Thailand safe for Americans? I wont be staying in Bangkok but I will be flying into BKK. I will be living in Hua-Hin/Cha-Am.

I ask because of all the recent conflict and because a lot of the old people in Florida (I kind of discredit them because they have never visited Thailand, only heard of it, then again so have I) tell me often that I will be killed if I go. Now, I have never been to Thailand but after research I have learned that I should be find if I don’t get into fights, am polite, and stay away from any protests.

So, is Thailand safe namely in Hua-Hin/Cha-Am?

Why should Americans get killed in Thailand?

Plenty of them have lived here for years without being killed.

Although a Brit I have not been killed yet after 7 years.

In fact I have never even been nearly killed.

Have never felt unsafe.

Edited by Lite Beer

1. Hahaha at the guy who made fifty posts XD

I was just asking because a lot of people have told me it is not safe. Of course, I consider them somewhat ignorant since they have never been to Thailand. Of course, I am ignorant because I have never been to Thailand but regardless I felt like asking people here because they have lived in Thailand.

I decided to going to Thailand because I heard if your respectful, then Thailand is safe for you and it is a very friendly country.

I was just asking because a lot of people have told me it is not safe. Of course, I consider them somewhat ignorant since they have never been to Thailand. Of course, I am ignorant because I have never been to Thailand but regardless I felt like asking people here because they have lived in Thailand.

I decided to going to Thailand because I heard if your respectful, then Thailand is safe for you and it is a very friendly country.

Friendly.....? Just bring lots of money and get used to a real culture change. A hustler at every corner, you want taxi, you want lady, you want drugs, you want tour? What are you doing in my country, don't expect the people here to respect you, you are only a source of income to them. Most Thais resent foreigners but they put up with them. Because we pay for their lifestyle in many cases. There are 2 prices here one for you and one for them. Learn the language, learn the culture. You may not be able to handle it. Many foreigners cannot and go home. Learn to be aggressive as they are to you. You are a walking ATM for them. I can't wait till you meet your first ladyboy.

I dont plan on looking for them ;)

Anywho, not reall old enough to be patronizing prostyssss.

How old are you? Do you have a passport? Have you ever left home before?

No problem they will be looking for you. May I suggest that you go online and google Thailand or buy some books. Do your parents approve of you coming here?

Not old enough to be patronizing? I may get banned again for 3 days, but let me ask you where in your life have you been outside of America? Are you old enough to travel alone? If not I suggest that you go to India first, then to Afghanistan and Pakistan after some good experience there come to Thailand.

At least your friendly.

I’m 18. Yessum, my parents do approve because it is study abroad.

Also, FYI, patronizing for anyone is desperate and creepy and no matter your age you shouldn’t do it ;)

I have traveled alone before going to Punta Cana in the Dominican Republic, Montreal in Canada, and to Sydney to stay with my aunt and uncle for two weeks.

"Use you head...go online now and check out Thai Language Schools, I think that you know how to use a computer. Who does your laundry?"

Did you even read his questions. By your post you either didn't read the post, or didn't understand it.

Post number 18. Very sad. I almost feel sorry for you if that post reflects your experience here.

OP

It's safe here for you.

ED visa should be easy enough to renew with paperwork from where you'll be studying. If a uni, I believe you can get a 1 year extension. If a language school, I think it's 90 days at a time, with renewals at the local immigration office.

Thanks Terry for the positive post J

I am attending Webster University Study abroad and am very excited about visiting Thailand.

Hopefully it will be a lot of fun.

I am applying for my ED Visa and should have it within 2 weeks. Since I am there for more then one semester the year extension will be helpful.

Thanks for the help!!!

Friendly.....? Just bring lots of money and get used to a real culture change. A hustler at every corner, you want taxi, you want lady, you want drugs, you want tour? What are you doing in my country, don't expect the people here to respect you, you are only a source of income to them. Most Thais resent foreigners but they put up with them. Because we pay for their lifestyle in many cases. There are 2 prices here one for you and one for them. Learn the language, learn the culture. You may not be able to handle it. Many foreigners cannot and go home. Learn to be aggressive as they are to you. You are a walking ATM for them. I can't wait till you meet your first ladyboy.

Offhand, I'd say Mr. Colabamumbai is fairly well out to lunch, probably of the 3-martini kind, maybe skipped his meds, too. I bet I can accurately guess within what square miles in Bangkok or Pattaya he's had 90% of his experiences here. Don't pay attention to this rubbish. The Thais are generally good-natured, considerate, and curious. Don't learn to be agressive, learn to watch and listen. Understand that the street hustlers around Nana are not representative of anything but a tiny fringe of this beautiful country of 60 million. And, yes, it's safe here, insofar as it's safe to be anywhere! Thai culture is going through some upheavals now, but foreigners are sort of irrelevant to that. Come and learn. For Thai Language learning, I highly recommend the Chula University Intensive Thai course. It's pricey, but as good as it gets. The whole course lasts 13 months, but you can take it in sections if you want.

How old are you? Do you have a passport? Have you ever left home before?

No problem they will be looking for you. May I suggest that you go online and google Thailand or buy some books. Do your parents approve of you coming here?

Not old enough to be patronizing? I may get banned again for 3 days, but let me ask you where in your life have you been outside of America? Are you old enough to travel alone? If not I suggest that you go to India first, then to Afghanistan and Pakistan after some good experience there come to Thailand.

What a load of cr*p, A young person comes on here to ask a perfectly valid question or two, and you spout off that Thailand is like a modern day beirut, answer the persons questions correctly or leave it alone, We all know that Thailand is safe as long as you do not go and ask for trouble.

Patriots I hope you have a good time in Thailand, enjoy the culture and the people, who are extremely friendly, and yes some will try and get your money but the vast majority will be very welcoming and helpful, give as you expect to receive. Some people on this forum should really reassess their place of residency.

To Patriots:

If you have already a seat at a Thai uni you should not have any problem regarding visa. The uni will help you to get the required extensions done.

Thailand is a very safe place to live and work in. Just use common sense and stay away from hot-spots if there is any kind of demonstration going on.

At your age you should be made aware of some Thai laws:

The legal drinking age is 20 years!

Also you are not allowed to be at night entertainment places after 10PM under the age of 20!

And PLEASE stay away from any kind of illegal drugs! Even possession of small amounts will land you in jail.

All foreigners in Thailand are required to carry their passport with them at all times! Keep copies of all pages of your passport in a safe place in case you should lose it.

During the initial period of stay in Thailand, until you know more and may even know some Thai, I suggest that if going out to entertainment places go with a group of friends/students.

A lone foreigner is more prone to be approached by the "bad guys" who lurk at those places.

Good luck for your future and stay in touch with Thaivisa if you have questions or need help.

There are many good people in this forum who will give you advice and help.

opalhort

Thanks. I dont plan on drinking in Thailand and I dont plan on doing drugs in Thailand. I am solely there to do study abroad with Webster and learn :)

Hopefully it will be a fun time in Hua Hin since it is on the ocean :D I keep thinking it will be similar to Florida, but then again, they probably dont have oil coming on shore, lol, and from what I have heard...Thailand is one of the most unique country's you can visit.

You should have a great time, been traveling to Thailand since 1970. There are some great people here and also a few about you may not want to be friends with. As they say if it sounds to good to be true it probaly is. Keep you eyes open and make some good friends and you will be fine

I never have and never will be a member of the "If you don't like it then just go home" clan, but..........