World Cup Out Of Panwa

volk666

I know it's been done to death, but I'll spend just one night in Phuket, in Panwa, this coming Saturday, and Germany-Argentina game is not the one I would like to miss or watch in the hotel room.

I've never been to that side of the island and two of my friends who are already there haven't seen any sports bars or anything of notice in the area so I need advice on where to go.

No girly bars is the only requirement, High Definition is preferable as no one in our group understands English commentary anyway.

Patong/Bangla sounds like too far away unless there's some exceptional place there worth travelling time and money. Return taxi won't be cheap, I guess.

What happened to that microbrewery opposite Tesco? It's under new name and management, I understand. Do they show football? We'll be fine with the Thai only crowd as long as they are enthusiastic enough.

Imported draft beer would be a big plus, and I don't mean Guiness, something German, for the occasion.

Anything like that in Phuket Town?

Edited by volk666

That is true, but does anyone know any big sports bars in that part of the island, or the town itself?

The hotel, Kantary Bay, is dead quiet, my friends report. They sure have TVs but no fun.

When the English commentary controversy first surfaced there was a mention of some bar operators who invested in getting True HD and were very disappointed. Maybe they switched to Astro, maybe not.

Ok, what about Phuket town?

Typical search returns Michaels, Karna Sutra and O'Malleys. All of them sound like expat places, ie not too friendly to the tourists intruders. O'Malley seems the biggest, Michael's got only two TVs and far too many pretty waitresses. One couple in our group is having a wedding anniversary on that day, all those girls on Michael's website are just too tempting.

All these pubs are all in a walking distance, though, probably can just check what it looks like when we get there.

Any info on that microbrewery opposite Tesco? If they have a couple of hundred people watching football there, wouldn't that be something?

All of them sound like expat places, ie not too friendly to the tourists intruders.

Untrue.

Ok, what about Phuket town?

Again, don't worry too much. The TV in every bar/guesthouse/minimart/shophosue will have World Cup playing. It's so omnipresent that it's almost surreal. During matches Phuket becomes alive withe the sound of vuvusela's. Not sure about the brewery opposite Tescos. I heard it closed or changed hands. I stopped by a couple weeks ago and it was closed

But since you are looking for specifics, I did notice the Irish pub on Montri/Suthat road next to the Kawasaki big bike shop was pushing for World Cup punters. They had nice big screen TV's.

Phuket-town-map-4-2.gif

Edited by ScubaBuddha

It's good to hear that Michael's/O'Malleys do not have "do not disturb expats" atmosphere.So far I'm thinking of starting with Indian dinner at Karna Sutra, and then check if Michael's is a better place for football, and then probably walk to O'Malleys if both don't "work".You know, like they say "mai work" in Thai. It's unpredictable when it's going to strike.

It's good to hear that Michael's/O'Malleys do not have "do not disturb expats" atmosphere.So far I'm thinking of starting with Indian dinner at Karna Sutra, and then check if Michael's is a better place for football, and then probably walk to O'Malleys if both don't "work".You know, like they say "mai work" in Thai. It's unpredictable when it's going to strike.

Why not The Green Man in Chalong?

Undoubtably will have a big screen and there are good biers for sure.

Michaels a bit of a dive, Kama Sutra o.k. food ( thats the same for Green Man), but at least it's a one stop pop for ya.

Edited by grumpyoldman

Why not The Green Man in Chalong?

Undoubtably will have a big screen and there are good biers for sure.

Michaels a bit of a dive, Kama Sutra o.k. food ( thats the same for Green Man), but at least it's a one stop pop for ya.

If going to Chalong, stop at Sea Bees Divecenter. Either there or at Palm Garden it will be shown, and there will be only Germans.

Chalong is the second closest place, at least on the map.

So Green man, Sea Bees, Palm Garden. I guess there's a lot more there.

Green Man sounds interesting. Do they really do hotel pickups? I wonder how one can go back to hotel around midnight from there.

Chalong is the second closest place, at least on the map.

So Green man, Sea Bees, Palm Garden. I guess there's a lot more there.

Green Man sounds interesting. Do they really do hotel pickups? I wonder how one can go back to hotel around midnight from there.

Between your hotel and The Green Man (google them for contact info) one of the two will have transport for you.

Tuk-Tuks are right at Chalong Circle down the way, I'm sure Thai staff at The Green Man could motorbike down and get one hired for you.

Great.

Will they cheer Germany or Argentina there?

Worst possible combination from the point of view of English football.

Do they do things like pizza? We have vegetarians who can't live on salad and beer alone.

Oh, and what's that Phuket beer like? Is it called Phuket Lager or what?

Hi

I have watched a few games at O'Malley's Bar and there was always a good, friendly atmosphere, even for Germany v England. They are really geared up for the WC with flags, balloons and 2 large screens and I think in HD, not sure. U can watch near the bar or on the sofa which is great. It is definately not a girly bar or ex-pat only and friendly to everyone, I felt very welcome. They do bar food and also Thai food but I have not eaten there so cannot comment.

I did see a large selection of beers and I think there was a German one or two.

Hope this helps.

Great.

Will they cheer Germany or Argentina there?

Worst possible combination from the point of view of English football.

Do they do things like pizza? We have vegetarians who can't live on salad and beer alone.

Oh, and what's that Phuket beer like? Is it called Phuket Lager or what?

I would definately do Karma Sutra for a good curry, very nice and then to O'Malleys but that's just my preference. Hope u make the right choice.

Thanks, Spain2win, it does, sort of - 'cos now I'm in two minds. Karna Sutra plus O'Malley's or The Green Man.Can't have it all in one night in Phuket :(

Thais in our group are not very excited about Indian food. Veggies are not very excited about traditional pub grub, unless there's pizza/mushroom lasagna.

I wanna shoot myself.

How long is the walk from Karna Sutra to O'Malleys? From what I remember about Phuket town that area is full of shops/things to look at while you are walking.

The walk is not far at all plus could get a tuk tuk. The other day I watched the Japan v Paraguay game at O'Malley's which was great fun as a load of Japanese were watching with footy gear on. It was good night and a great atmosphere. They were drinking Asahi beer which I had never seen before in Thailand so I tried one and it was good. The owner even put some free sushi on for them. I did see a group eating pizzas, not sure if Veggie.

Thais in our group are not very excited about Indian food. Veggies are not very excited about traditional pub grub, unless there's pizza/mushroom lasagna.

I wanna shoot myself.

How long is the walk from Karna Sutra to O'Malleys? From what I remember about Phuket town that area is full of shops/things to look at while you are walking.