Yamaha Nouvo Elegance + Helmet

kawtot

In response to recent Airblade post. Only kidding! Seriously though, I'm seeking CNX-specific and up-to-date advice that i can't find in other TV threads.

MOTORSAI

I've been through a rigorous selection process and decided a new or almost-new (<2 yrs old, <10,000km) Yamaha Nouvo Elegance is what I need around town, and found the following:

1. Weekend markets turned up a few, mostly in the THB 20,000 - 30,000 range. Some pretty doubtful, some ok, none "almost-new". I am not a mechanic and can't really trust my judgement in that buyer-beware environment.
  2. City based 2nd-hand dealers offer a few in the THB 35,000 - 42,000 range. Test drove the cheaper one today and wonder if its a rebadged MX - seems lighter and less powerful than the 2009 Elegance I've rented for the month until yesterday. Of course, my rental may have been a chop. The others are quite expensive, have >10,000 on the dial, and are yet to be test-driven. Dealers appear open to negotiating a 2-3 month warranty (supposedly documented at sale time).,
  3. Yamaha shop quotes THB 55,000 for a new 2009 with spokes (in stock),THB 59,000 for a new 2010 with mags (not in stock).

Please correct me if I'm reading the market badly, and tell me of any better supplier options around greater CNX.

HELMET

Lookng for a good scooter-appropriate new full-face helmet; modular/flip-up is ok. Been to a few shops, from the street-fronts up Chang Puak and Chang Moi to the ground floor of PanThip Plaza and found:

1. Arai RX7 or Shoei Multitec just under THB 20,000
  2. Various top-end Index for THB 700 - 2,000
  3. Everything else is papier-mache!
  4. While I was dithering at the shop on Chang Moi Rd, people rocked up at the counter, picked up a cheap helmet, checked how they looked in the mirror, and bought them on the spot. Yeeha.

Is the Index a good helmet, and are there worthwhile alternatives between the two price extremes above? If not, I'll pay half-the-price-of-a-bike for me lid :-)

• Like 1

Couple of things. Go NEW on he Nouvo, not second hand. Nouvo is a good bike, but this being Thailand, I don't trust any second hand bike unless I personally knew the previous owner.

Second, I have an Index full face that has both a small, clear flip up visor, as well as an inner tinted visor for sunlight. In the one accident I had, my head hit hard on the pavement but other than a slight headache, no problems, and the helmet stood up well with only a couple of scratches.

I don't know if this applies to your situation but we (thai g/f and I) got a 2 year old fino from a dealer in Chiang Saen, was 42,000 and we paid 7,000 down and 1,500 a month. The main advantage so far is that it gets looked over once a month when she goes in to pay, also, any problems with it and she takes it back to them as they still treat it as being their bike. A few weeks ago it wouldn't start 1st time, after a few days it wouldn't start at all so we took it back, they sorted the battery out, checked it over again, oil, chain etc. no charge. They also sort the tax stickers out, apparently they do it in bulk, when they're due everyone coughs up 120 baht and the dealer sends a guy to chiang rai city and gets all the stickers which would be more expensive if

obtained locally, i must admit i don't understand how tax stickers can vary in price but hey, TiT :)

If you're going 2nd hand this might be a safer way to do it?

With the repayment scheme, we got a couple of neighbours to show id cards and sign documents, i guess they were guarantors.

otherwise, as a previous poster mentioned, I'd be wary of an outright 2nd hand purchase.

Hope this helps,

cheers,

Biff

Edited by bifftastic

Couple of things. Go NEW on he Nouvo, not second hand. Nouvo is a good bike, but this being Thailand, I don't trust any second hand bike unless I personally knew the previous owner.

Second, I have an Index full face that has both a small, clear flip up visor, as well as an inner tinted visor for sunlight. In the one accident I had, my head hit hard on the pavement but other than a slight headache, no problems, and the helmet stood up well with only a couple of scratches.

Just a little advice re your Index (or any other real) helmet. Now that it has experienced an impact with a hard surface it should be replaced. My helmets are genuine Shoei. All real helmet manufacturers advise replacement even if you drop the helmet from a few feet off the ground.

Edited by Blinky Bill

Just a little advice re your Index (or any other real) helmet. Now that it has experienced an impact with a hard surface it should be replaced. My helmets are genuine Shoei. All real helmet manufacturers advise replacement even if you drop the helmet from a few feet off the ground.

Good idea, thanks

Arai RX7 or Shoei Multitec just under THB 20,000

Those are two very different fitting helmets and one will fit any one head far better than the other. Also, the Thai prices seem rather high. I'll just have to add helmets to my list of items I can bring over for others to offset the airfare.

theres a nouvo elegance for sale on the classifieds for 39,000 baht..........its being sold by an english guy who runs Tonys Big Bikes rental shop in CM.........i have had the pleasure of meeting him and renting a bike off him ...he and his buisness buddy seem honest and straight forward guys.........the nouvo is his own personal machine and looks in A1 condition.........u might even get a few K discount if u wave the readies under his nose

http://classifieds.thaivisa.com/automotives-vehicles/motorcycles/2008-yamaha-nouvo-elegance-for-sale-57380.html

normal price for 2 years Yamaha Elegance 25000 THB, for MX 20000 THB

1 years YE with 5000-6000km can buy 35000-38000 THB no scratches and breakages

helmet - Index good helmet, but i think before buy Real

why you dont write before? my good thai friend sell Yamaha MX (2 years and 16 000 km) for 19 000THB 3 week ago

PS: i think YE and YMX very good motosai, all my friends who have Honda say me - wow... i want same you motorsai (i have YE), better only new Honda =) but her very expensive, new - 75 000 THB o_O!!! =))

Edited by crazyawm

Index helmets are crap, and if price is an issue, Real helmets are DOT approved.

Arai and Shoei are market leaders, have the reputation for quality, and are priced accordingly.

Be very suspicious of the odometer on a used bike, and for accident damage. Given the cost differential between used and new I would buy new. Having said that I know the owner of Tony's and that is in fact his own personal bike and take a look at his Bonneville to see how he looks after his personal machines.

why crap? model helmet that 1000+ THB, its good model, in my opinion

The Index helmets may look okay and you might get away with a low speed impact. There is no way they can match the quality of Shoei or Arai and similar. The top end helmets start around the THB20,000 range and you pay for what you get. I know I'd rather be wearing my Shoei XR-1000 than a THB1,000 Index helmet any day.

Have a look at this.....Shoei

Edited by Blinky Bill

Hi Blinky;

Where in CMai can one buy a Shoei XR-1000, and at ~what price. Cheers.

I bought both mine in Oz, mine are size XL and the recommended retail price is about AU$900 (you can get them cheaper than that) there which is around THB22,000, they'll be a bit more in Chiang Mai.

If you refer to the first post, the OP mentioned a few places. You might try the shop on the south side of Sri Donchai Road just a few doors east of Changklan Road.

Edited by Blinky Bill

• 5 months later...