Thailand - No Longer A Cheap Retirement Destination

• Replies 150
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Actually it was 800B, but that was for 2 couples. And a full table of food (crab, fish, shrimp soup, etc.) and several bottles of Heineken. We go there every week to eat by the sea and watch the sunset. It's a small place, with wood plank floors and plastic table cloths...but the food is outstanding.

400 baht dinner included plenty of beer....Heineken at that? ;)

Well that is a good deal then or our idea of plenty is different.

But again as I said...

I still think the food can be had for less here yes but it is very close now. I go back & forth every year & am surprised at how close things are getting overall. Lastly depending on what you want & the quality of what you want...At times it even swaps places.

Edited by flying

OK, plenty was 3 large bottles. Hey, we were taking it easy! My wife does not drink beer. Neither did my friends wife. So we had plenty.

All the food we could eat. But none of us over ate. Still, try and do that in the US, at a restaurant ON the ocean, and eating seafood. Never happen for that price. I lived within a mile of the ocean for 20+ years in the US. I know the prices of seafood restaurants on the ocean.

As was stated many posts ago, if you want farang food, you're going to pay a higher price here. Camembert cheese is not produced locally. Rambutan is. Try buying rambutan in the US. Or longran. I did and it was INCREDIBLY expensive. Actually, it was outrageous...and lousy. Heck, even Thai food at mediocre restaurants in the US is crazy expensive. But, subway is cheap as is Mexican food...

I'm not saying you need to eat like a local....just that that local foods are a lot less expensive...and I actually prefer them! Lucky me! :)

For American retirees: - 43 %( currency shift) + 27 %( inflation) = 70% price increase

For British retirees: - 62 %( currency shift) + 27 %( inflation) = 89% price increase

For European retirees: - 38 %( currency shift) + 27 %( inflation) = 65% price increase

Sorry. I can't let glaring math errors like this go without saying something. It's like fingernails on a chalkboard.

For American retirees: - 43 %( currency shift) * 27 %( inflation) = (1.43)*(1.27) = 82% price increase

For British retirees: - 62 %( currency shift) * 27 %( inflation) = (1.62)*(1.27) = 106% price increase

For European retirees: - 38 %( currency shift) * 27 %( inflation) = (1.38)*(1.27) = 75% price increase

Whew...feel much better now.

I have no problems,a full COLA on my retirement,no kids(freeloaders),bills or any other problems.:partytime2: :partytime2: :partytime2: :partytime2: :partytime2:

I have no problems,a full COLA on my retirement,no kids(freeloaders),bills or any other problems.:partytime2: :partytime2: :partytime2: :partytime2: :partytime2:

If your old company goes the way of JAL or GM, COLA or no

If income that was never taxed is now taxed

If capital that was never taxed is now taxed

If government guaranteed pensions and health care go away

If you are no longer permitted to transfer money out of your country

If the money you do transfer no longer buys anything near what it did

Could be a big problem if you're not always right...

Good job on no kids and no party/food/electricity/phone/internet/health care bills though!

i have no problems,a full COLA on my retirement,no kids(freeloaders),bills or any other problems.:partytime2: :partytime2: :partytime2: :partytime2: :partytime2:

kids are not freeloaders....

they are supposed to add pleasures and joys to your life....

did your parents also do not have kids as well....? :o :jap::jap::jap:

admins....

don't you consider the word used to identify the emoticon and appeared between two similar emoticons posted by nakachalet offensive at all?

this is the first time the inappropriate and offensive description showed up as letters and word....

can you guys do something about this pls?

admins....

don't you consider the word used to identify the emoticon and appeared between two similar emoticons posted by nakachalet offensive at all?

this is the first time the inappropriate and offensive description showed up as letters and word....

Offensive? It's just the same as:

:bah: farang :bah:

Simon

admins....

Offensive? It's just the same as:

:bah: farang :bah:

Simon

hi simon43

you made me laugh.... ha ha ha

the nicknames given to europeans, americans, australians etc such as FARANG (thai), GUI-LOW (hongkong), RED-HAIR (china).... are more or less meant to be complimentary rather than derogatory.....

however other nicknames attributed to japanese, vietnamese, chinese and africans are downright derogatory and offensive....

simon.... those nicknames are surely not the same as farang in any stretch of our imagination.... :huh:

just ask a few of the returning vietnam veterans.... <_<

admins....

You know I can't ever remember a mod even showing up in this forum. Must reflect the gentlemanly behavior normally found here...

Scotch and soda in French bar last week = 5.5 euros! First night back in Pattaya tonight I paid 75 baht for same, a wee bit cheaper I think. Seeing that my main outgoings are for liquid refreshments, it's still an awful lot cheaper for me to live here.

Thats interesting, because in most self-respecting bars in Bangkok you'll pay 5 euro for a scotch and soda too?

Perhaps the OP title should be 'Bangkok With An Expat Lifestyle - No longer A Cheap Retirement Destination'

Just so Thais/Expats With Thai Lifestyles dont get confused. :unsure:

perhaps it should also be mentioned what "self-respecting" Scotch is used. El Cheapo or anything from Black Label upwards?

my question is of course rhetoric. whether 75 Baht in Pattaya or 200 Baht in Bangkok the ingredient won't be "respectable"... except perhaps the soda.

anyway, it does not really matter. anybody who commits the crime mixing Scotch with water deserves whatever punishment he is served :lol:

Here, here! My Thai neighbor came over the other day. A bit of a hi-so. I offered him Johnny Walker Green. He mixed it with soda! I almost cried...shoulda pulled out the red!!!

keep the bottle and fill it with the cheapest booze available to be served to those who mix with soda or water. i'm not really a whisky connoisseur and prefer wine. but i know bloody well the difference between a "red" and a "black". on the other hand i admit that i can't detect too much difference between "black, gold, blue and green".

Whisky snobs are very much like wine snobs, they like to tell everyone else how to drink their's. I don't drink

blended whisky neat, I prefer it with soda. Single malt I drink with a small amount of ice only. Because I

can only afford single malt on special occasions, most of my whisky is taken with soda.

I know guys who drink beer with ice, but I don't criticise them for it, if that's the way they like it then good luck to them.

Why should they change their drinking preferences for me?

If you pay for your drink, whatever it is, you take it how it grabs you. Ignore the neat whisky tough guys, they're

full of wind and p*#@ Most of them probably aren't even regular whisky drinkers anyway.

keep the bottle and fill it with the cheapest booze available to be served to those who mix with soda or water.

Hel_l I do that in my home country! Those who mix can help themselves from the bottle on the desk (J & B or some other crap); those that don't can help themselves to the single malt under the desk jap.gif

Whisky snobs are very much like wine snobs, they like to tell everyone else how to drink their's. I don't drink

blended whisky neat, I prefer it with soda. Single malt I drink with a small amount of ice only. Because I

can only afford single malt on special occasions, most of my whisky is taken with soda.

I know guys who drink beer with ice, but I don't criticise them for it, if that's the way they like it then good luck to them.

If you pay for your drink, whatever it is, you take it how it grabs you. Ignore the neat whisky tough guys, they're

full of wind and p*#@ Most of them probably aren't even regular whisky drinkers anyway.

C'mon guy; we're trying to be sophisticated here. cool.gif You're giving it all away.

C'mon guy; we're trying to be sophisticated here. cool.gif You're giving it all away.

Mr Naam also likes white port - served cold

OK,

Maybe I'm slow here but I don't get the reference. White ports are always served cold. I'm sure Khun Naam likes his chicken thoroughly cooked as well, but that doesn't help me infer anything about what you are trying to say.

A meaningless question I guess, but would you care to explain what you meant by the comment? Just inexplicably curious. Are you saying there are people who like to drink a white port warm?

I thought it was common knowledge a white port was served chilled.

:huh:

Pint of Lager in "up market" Gin Joint -Suk Rd last Saturday night Bt150 (about £3 quid)..

on Monday got one in my Local in Londons West End (Holborn) for £2-40...@ Bt 120)

..dont know if I can afford to retire in Thailand for two long. :blink: ..at least the "wai nam" is finished but still need to build the barbie.. :huh:

Mr Naam also likes white port - served cold

OK,

Maybe I'm slow here but I don't get the reference. White ports are always served cold. I'm sure Khun Naam likes his chicken thoroughly cooked as well, but that doesn't help me infer anything about what you are trying to say.

A meaningless question I guess, but would you care to explain what you meant by the comment? Just inexplicably curious. Are you saying there are people who like to drink a white port warm?

I thought it was common knowledge a white port was served chilled.

:huh:

gregb....

we do not have refrig in our thatched huts....

so white port along with several others have to be inexplicably sipped semi-warm or slightly hot....

depending on which time of day.... a friend shows up.... :(

is that quite politically incorrect around my moo-baarn....? :whistling:

Agreed, but still...when drinking Blue, I think most would NOT mix with soda:

Blue Label — Johnnie Walker's premium blend. Every bottle is serial numbered and sold in a silk-lined box, accompanied by a certificate of authenticity. There is no age declaration for Blue Label, however, the owners of the plant state that it is aged no less than 20 years. 80 proof. It is perhaps the most expensive blended Scotch on the market, fetching prices upwards of $200 a bottle.

I would shudder for sure. And pull out the Red for you. I would not call that being a snob...

Single malt is my favorite...with a single ice cube. Awesome. But like you, can rarely afford it.

Port is amazing also...but unfortunately my taste buds prefer vintage. Something I can rarely afford now that I am in retirement! But...not worth going back to work just to be able to afford it.

I found a great way to drink beer here. I use to put ice cubes in it just to keep it cold. But didn't like how watered down the beer got. Was at a restaurant where they had beer mugs with 2 fingers of ice on the bottom. They filled the mugs with clean water and froze them. It does not melt as fast but still keeps the beer cold. Great way to go!

But...we are off topic. My friend had dinner at Vertigo a few months ago. I can't remember the exact price for 2, but it was crazy expensive. Like 15,000 Baht or so. Sure, they had an expensive bottle of wine...but jeez. So, you can sip beer for 50B or so at the Beer Garden here in Pattaya, or for 10+ times that at Vertigo. Luckily, here in Thailand, we have the entire range to choose from!

you admit that you too are full of wind, p*#@ and criticism.

I can only drink whiskey if it's nasty taste is completely drowned by coke or pepsi.

Dead cheap evening at Hotshots with a Ben More whiskey set for 500bht

(serves 4 people, 2 guys, 2 empty glasses ..... but not for long).

Helps keep Thailand a cheap retirement destination for me.

Edited by sarahsbloke

• 1 month later...

I retired about 3 years ago. Early at 55 years old. Not because i wanted too but because of health reasons. Thailand had been a good destination place for me as far as the dollar goes.

If you live a reasanable life style, and I dont drink. It is still very good. Buttttt before i left america I put 100k in long term investments and paid off my home and vehicles in America. Just in case this kind of thing comes to pass. I have 1500 us dollars a month to live on without touching my investments untill i am 66. Then if i am still here it will raise another 1000 a month until i die i hope. But if you come here without perperation and no escape it is a huge mistake in my opion.

Living in the country is very cheap. I see no increase to speak of. I own a 2008 pickup and motorcycle and only rent a small room. But I am never there. Traveling is my main reasion for living here. I have seen the guys here that spend 1500 - 4000 a month here. It is doable and in BKK it is probibly easy to do. Since i own my own home in America and cars and what such paid for. It is cheaper for me to live in America for sure. Considering health care there is free and no taxes on my income. But who wants to live a boreing life back in the States while you can still get around, I like the excitement of Thailand. When the Baht is to high i have a very confortable place to retire to and to that end I enjoy myself here. Money is not everything to living in retirement. But you must enjoy yourself. If that means living like you did in your home country. Then you may have to go home. If you like and enjoy the outdoors and nature. This is a paradise.

And dirt cheap I might add.

I have lived on as little as 800 dollars a month and eat wonderful Thai food. I like to food here very much. And travel to the best kept secret in Thailand, which are the National Parks , and nature reserves. I very rairly see a farang in some of these places. Some come for a few hours and leave. But rarely stay and get into the nature here.

By the way i photograph birds here and am presently in Chiang Mai. If interested in birds i post my bird photos here. You are welcome to visit.

http://www.pbase.com/gary1952

I retired about 3 years ago. Early at 55 years old. Not because i wanted too but because of health reasons. Thailand had been a good destination place for me as far as the dollar goes.

If you live a reasanable life style, and I dont drink. It is still very good. Buttttt before i left america I put 100k in long term investments and paid off my home and vehicles in America. Just in case this kind of thing comes to pass. I have 1500 us dollars a month to live on without touching my investments untill i am 66. Then if i am still here it will raise another 1000 a month until i die i hope. But if you come here without perperation and no escape it is a huge mistake in my opion.

Living in the country is very cheap. I see no increase to speak of. I own a 2008 pickup and motorcycle and only rent a small room. But I am never there. Traveling is my main reasion for living here. I have seen the guys here that spend 1500 - 4000 a month here. It is doable and in BKK it is probibly easy to do. Since i own my own home in America and cars and what such paid for. It is cheaper for me to live in America for sure. Considering health care there is free and no taxes on my income. But who wants to live a boreing life back in the States while you can still get around, I like the excitement of Thailand. When the Baht is to high i have a very confortable place to retire to and to that end I enjoy myself here. Money is not everything to living in retirement. But you must enjoy yourself. If that means living like you did in your home country. Then you may have to go home. If you like and enjoy the outdoors and nature. This is a paradise.

And dirt cheap I might add.

I have lived on as little as 800 dollars a month and eat wonderful Thai food. I like to food here very much. And travel to the best kept secret in Thailand, which are the National Parks , and nature reserves. I very rairly see a farang in some of these places. Some come for a few hours and leave. But rarely stay and get into the nature here.

By the way i photograph birds here and am presently in Chiang Mai. If interested in birds i post my bird photos here. You are welcome to visit.

http://www.pbase.com/gary1952

Am I reading this correctly?

The poster says, "I have 1500 us dollars a month to live on without touching my investments untill i am 66. Then if i am still here it will raise another 1000 a month until i die i hope".

What sort of retirement plan pays out that sort of pension?

If I understand, month pension $k

1 1

2 2

3 3

4 4

5 5

6 6

7 7

8 8

9 9

10 10

11 11

12 12

Total 78

So $78,000 in the first year alone, by the end of the 4th year you expect to be getting $48,000 for the 48th month alone.

Please let me know where I can get a slice of this action, assuming its legal.