Wheres A Cheap Indian?

KRS1

IMHO The Chedi serves the best Indian in town.

I'm a curry fanatic and its the only place in Thailand that I have been to where the food is as good (if not better) than most Indian Reastaurants in the UK.

Not cheap though, around 600b pp plus service and tax...but then it IS The Chedi, its not just the meal its the service and ambience that you pay for as well, but I always have a great night out when we go there, and am happy to pay for it :)

Thats a helluva statement better than most indian restaurants in the UK and not really accurate now is it ? In Birmingham alone we have a 2 miles strip with more than 200 Curry Houses and I dont beleive you have eaten in all of them to make such a statement Bristol also has Hundred as do other big cities.

really? there's probably like a million in India.

• Replies 78
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Was just wondering which places are still doing Friday buffets? I remember a while back Zoe In Yellow did one. I have also heard Spicy Bollywood have one. Are they still going? Any where else doing it?

Cheers

GUANO

I also know a few "Cheap Indians", Ian! :lol:

I am so happy to see that my Brit brethren have adopted some food with colour, taste and dare I say Spice.:rolleyes:

My English grandparents cured me for life of desiring food À l'Anglaise B)

But one caveat...roast leg of lamb, with the roasted potatoes in the pan...mint sauce and a spot of port to finish up the meal- brilliant!

I have not found what I would call very tasty Indian food in Chiang Mai yet and have only tried a few of the places mentioned. Indian food is my second favorite next to Thai food so I do try to find both Thai and Indian restaurants wherever I travel.

I visit San Francisco at least once a year and still find excellent Indian restaurants there plus Berkeley over in the East Bay has many good ones as well. Even though I have eaten Indian food in quite a few countries I have only been to Bangalore once so it is hard for me to know what is authentic.

I have also eaten quite decent Indian food in several places in the UK but so far the best Indian food I have had was in Sydney. When I visit there I eat Indian food at least once a day. I prefer Indian curries quite spicy and in Sydney they don't seem to be afraid to spice it up.

So do any of these Indian restaurants in Chiang Mai serve up a real spicy curry?

What is Indian food anyway?

The country is huge and has many different regions, variety of spices, vegetables, fruits, and cultures who probably prepare their food differently. Then there is Pakistan and Bangladesh, which were part of the India before their split.

Note: I definitely am no connoisseur or that knowledgeable about "Indian" food.

I have not found what I would call very tasty Indian food in Chiang Mai yet and have only tried a few of the places mentioned. Indian food is my second favorite next to Thai food so I do try to find both Thai and Indian restaurants wherever I travel.

I visit San Francisco at least once a year and still find excellent Indian restaurants there plus Berkeley over in the East Bay has many good ones as well. Even though I have eaten Indian food in quite a few countries I have only been to Bangalore once so it is hard for me to know what is authentic.

I have also eaten quite decent Indian food in several places in the UK but so far the best Indian food I have had was in Sydney. When I visit there I eat Indian food at least once a day. I prefer Indian curries quite spicy and in Sydney they don't seem to be afraid to spice it up.

So do any of these Indian restaurants in Chiang Mai serve up a real spicy curry?

at New Delhi on Ratchwithi you can choose your level of spiciness, spicy is the top level and its spicy but not blazing or anything. But you can tell them to make it spicy enough so you hate yourself in the morning.

at New Delhi on Ratchwithi you can choose your level of spiciness, spicy is the top level and its spicy but not blazing or anything. But you can tell them to make it spicy enough so you hate yourself in the morning.

Spicy is the top level on the Menu however if you want the hottest curry you will ever taste then order a Chicken Fal, Ravi (the owner) only does it on request as only the most seasoned curry eaters can take it

MEGA HOT

• 1 month later...

Hinlay Outstanding.

You gets what you pay for and Hinlay must be best value for money.

Good Indian for 120-150 is not reality.

john

Ordered from Hinlay Curry House last night - 3 curries, all quite small portions, but only 60 Baht each and very tasty.

Was just wondering which places are still doing Friday buffets? I remember a while back Zoe In Yellow did one.

The owner told me that there was not enough demand for the Greek/Turkish buffet, however he is opening a seperate restaurant across the street soon.

Best Curry House in CM now IMHO is Spicey Bollywood as close to a UK chiken Curry as you can get excellent Nan bread I am now eating there 3 times a week and its great although a little more expensive than my last place but I dont mind cause its really good.

Fridays they have a Buffet for 200baht and its seems very popular although i have not tried it as I dont like Buffets that other people have touched so i order a la carte

I always get them ordered off these guy's. Brit Indian Curries I have to order a few in bulk and then they get them delivered to me up here in Chiang Mai. I had one when I was in Phuket and its the nearest thing I have had to a decent curry since I left the UK, not quite Bradford style but very near. I always deal with a guy caled Mike not sure if he's the owner or not.

Edited by thaimiller

I always get them ordered off these guy's. Brit Indian Curries I have to order a few in bulk and then they get them delivered to me up here in Chiang Mai. I had one when I was in Phuket and its the nearest thing I have had to a decent curry since I left the UK, not quite Bradford style but very near. I always deal with a guy caled Mike not sure if he's the owner or not.

Always up for trying curry

If you have not already miller try Bollywood its really quite good although I have been away so long from Birmingham I probably dont know what a good brummie curry is anymore LOL

Hey Miller

How do you get them to Chiang Mai ?? I dont mind ordering bulk but wondering how they get here from Phuket still frozen ??

Cheers

There are Indians in CM?? Of course there are, and they go to Indian 'provision stores', and old English expression from the day sof the colonies in India. Google any Indian recipe you want, and head to the provision store. Indian cooking is about as easy as it gets, and you'll produce your mutton tikki masala for a lot less than B200. Many of their recipes are now available in paste form in tubs, vey economical and eliminate the need to grind everything in a mortar and pestle.

For someone who enjoys cooking as much as I do, Indian cooking is a breeze and a most pleasurable experience, and if you accept that there aren't any decent Indian restaurants in CM, then cooking at home is a good option.

Some Indian breads are tedious to make yourelf, but a previous poster mentioned that they are available at Rimping.

Try cook it your self , I make Indian curries and Biryani at home all the time and it's even better than Le spice.  All spice are freshly roasted and ground using Jamie Oliver recipe.  I will give the food a way for free even because it's always too much lol.   If you know me personally I would share them with you no charge! 

Hey Miller

How do you get them to Chiang Mai ?? I dont mind ordering bulk but wondering how they get here from Phuket still frozen ??

Cheers