Receiving Post From The Uk

onnut

Hi there

A few years ago my sister sent shoes out to me from the UK because I couldn't find any of my size.

The shoes she sent had been worn by me and was easy to see that. But I still got slapped a 3,800 baht bill before I could take them by the post office.

Now this time my brother inlaw wants to send some sun glasses to me. Just one pair of good quality glasses with very good lenses. These are new.

If he posts them to me will I be slapped with a Huge bill again? Is there anyway around this?

Edited by onnut

Have it sent with a Thai name on it, I have been hit a couple of times with import duties under my name, but whenever I get things shipped under the Mrs's name I never get hit, even if the items are sent from the same place.

Funny, some years ago a pal and fellow TV member, posted exactly the same question on this forum and got a temporary ban for enquiring about something that could potentially be an infringement of Thai law. The mods must be slipping or getting lackadaisical in their old age.

I receive a number of parcels pretty much every month from the UK - be it clothes, shoes, books, magazines, DVD's etc, etc. I have been doing this for 5 years, and only once have I received a duty charge on a packet of two DVD box sets - I was not best pleased as the charge was 1,500 baht - and I could not actually see how they had even calculated it. As it goes, touch wood that was about three years ago - since then nothing - both deliveries into my address in Bangkok and in to Kanchanaburi - all with my English name on it.

As for Thai customs, they are known as the most corrupt department in Thailand, which considering the BIB's operations, it does really say something about them. :bah: