Television Is Killing Cinema - Thai Drivers Are Killing Themselves

webfact

Totally Bizarre! The Nation does like to tell a good story!

I thought Cinema was doing very well and having a resurgence over the last few years - well everywhere else in the world. Nothing quite beats the big screen, just don't make a Thai soap movie.

I think the cinemas I have been to in Pattaya are some of the best in the world and certainly have the best seats, compared to my local cinema in England and those I have been to in the US which are often very dirty with uncomfortable seats.

Free horror movies in comfortable seats and air con in Phuket, I would have thought they would volunteer to be rounded up by the Thai Police!

biggrin.gif

I actually like Thai Horror and Thriller movies and some of their Comedy stuff is very funny too, even if I have to watch them in Thai, I still like to go to the movies and watch a Thai movie, I watch enough english movies on the TV as it is, so the change is good.

Edited by POAK

I actually like Thai Horror and Thriller movies and some of their Comedy stuff is very funny too, even if I have to watch them in Thai, I still like to go to the movies and watch a Thai movie, I watch enough english movies on the TV as it is, so the change is good.

Until Thai movies are about real world problems and issues and not a fat khatoey with a slide whistle up their rear then the Thai populace will continue remaining dumb.

They can console themselves by wiping their rear with their degree though.

Until Thai movies are about real world problems and issues and not a fat khatoey with a slide whistle up their rear then the Thai populace will continue remaining dumb.

If you live in thailand, its sounds like you need a new country or maybe a fat khatoey to tickle fight with. I think the populaces of most countries are considered dumb, even with the real world movies about problems and issues, after we elected george junior to a second term I new then that the good old usa was defining dumb-probably more like retarded. Who doesnt like Tony Jaa? The fat khatoey with a slide whistle up the rear brings a smile to my face.

What sort of article is this? If the writer hasnt noticed; Cinema and Television co-exist in unison and have been doing so since the early 50's. Thats a good 60 years! If TV hasnt destroyed cinema yet....it never will! Even with pirated DVD's flooding the market, cinema will still hold its ground. As long as ticket sales are reasonable, people will always go see motion pictures on the big screen, its the experience. And how do bad drivers come into it?...strange segue. What i would really like to see is a World class Thai film made without the clown whistles and boing spring sample effects, quite over that one.

Try this- doesn't get the best reviews in the world, but no boings and some of the cinematography is nice.

http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0399725/

Or this one, palme d'or at Cannes this year.

http://www.imdb.com/title/tt1588895/

or this one, http://www.imdb.com/title/tt1208717/

there are some good Thai movies in spite of an awful lot of cr*p ones

poor article though, randomly selected, tenuously linked;

Showing gruesome videos to people who fail to wear a crash helmet? Good idea, roll it out nationwide.

================================

Add this to the list of good (IMO) Thai movies:

http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0345549/

Agreed; the original article is gobbledegook.

(don't ask me about the formatting of this reply... no idea)

the thing is the thai soap operas r so good and the movies they make these days so bad , why leave the house ?

The natives need to be entertained, otherwise they would be revolting

many of the natives are revolting.

If you live in thailand, its sounds like you need a new country or maybe a fat khatoey to tickle fight with. I think the populaces of most countries are considered dumb, even with the real world movies about problems and issues, after we elected george junior to a second term I new then that the good old usa was defining dumb-probably more like retarded. Who doesnt like Tony Jaa? The fat khatoey with a slide whistle up the rear brings a smile to my face.

Your not too smart looking at your spelling.

Your not too smart looking at your spelling.

it must be my low intellect, the sentence structure is also incorrect, i new the george junior comment would get someone, or maybe the tickle fighting with a fat khatoey?, maybe george bush with a fat khatoey tickle fighting-now that would be entertainment! take ;)a deep inspiration and let it out slowly

Soaps are very popular in most societies.

It is totally understandable that they are used as an escape from the news of corrupt officials and watching hundreds of civil servants and military officials sitting at attention listening to some political hack read.

It is possible they could watch something more educational if the stations would program something other than soaps and B movies.

For the ones who are not familiar with Apichatpong Weerasethakul: Apitchat is Internationally one of the best known directors of Thailand, maybe the best known of all. He has produced many movies in the past but because most of them are ones of the type that are commercially not viable in Thailand, they hardly get any funding. In the past, Apitchat has gotten most of the needed funding for his movies in other countries such as Germany or France for example.

If you wish to listen to this man & his opinion of Thailand's movie industry, go to http://www.bangkokrecorder.com/press-conference-interview-with-apichatpong-w

& look for "Below is an embed of the press conference / Q&A with Apitchatpong about Uncle Boonme", which is the first clip under the picture of a gorilla & a man.

The last 5 minutes of the audio clip is quite relevant to this topic. Apichat says some rather negative but truthful things about attitudes in Thailand.

Here's an old thread worth reading:

Hay Travelingmike, I don't appreciate your remarks mate, but after all it's a free forum but I wouldn't expect any different from an American, sorry to the rest of the open minded Americans out there. Yes I do live in Thailand and actually work here mate.

I am trying to learn the language and the culture, rather than have my head up my ass. When in Rome, do as the Romans do...

I don't need a new country mate, am happy contributing to this country for the time being, maybe you should scamper back to the US of A because your narrow minded comments are not appreciated by me.

I think you have a nerve to say that Thai films are naive, what has American films done for the world, not much...

I am really surprised you can pass judgment when the worst TV soaps come out of the USA, I'm sure you sit in your room watching The Young and The Restless and General Hospital all day long.

Mate, your user name is Traveling Mike, maybe you should do some travelling...

Edited by POAK

Maybe the problem with the movies in Thailand is the government censorship and busybody nettling of old folks with yellow underwear that drive movie makers to only produce crap horror films.

The recent winner of The Palm Dor at Cannes Movie Festival, who is Thai remarked that he couldn't understand why the Thai authorities continued to treat the Thai viewing public like children through their censorship policy.

So even Thai intellectuals are frustrated

JGV

Hay Travelingmike, I don't appreciate your remarks mate, but after all it's a free forum but I wouldn't expect any different from an American, sorry to the rest of the open minded Americans out there. Yes I do live in Thailand and actually work here mate.

I am trying to learn the language and the culture, rather than have my head up my ass. When in Rome, do as the Romans do...

I don't need a new country mate, am happy contributing to this country for the time being, maybe you should scamper back to the US of A because your narrow minded comments are not appreciated by me.

I think you have a nerve to say that Thai films are naive, what has American films done for the world, not much...

I am really surprised you can pass judgment when the worst TV soaps come out of the USA, I'm sure you sit in your room watching The Young and The Restless and General Hospital all day long.

Mate, your user name is Traveling Mike, maybe you should do some travelling...

Mate,Mate, Mate: I am actually defending thai movies and the multi languages used in thailand, you seem to be a very angry person, like I said take a deep inspiration and laugh a little. Read your posts and tell me who is narrow minded? Where did I promote American films? Where did I say soaps are great in the usa? You even know the names of the soaps in the usa? A bit weird. I dont even have cable. Maybe, like I said, I tickle fight with a fat khatoey might get you to relax a bit, while watching The Young and the Restless, take care, Mike

I refer to your post;

1. I live in Thailand.

2. I don't need a new country

3.I don’t need a fat khatoey to tickle fight with

4.Most countries are considered dumb, USA comes to mind

5.George Junior, see #4

6.USA dumb probably more like retarded, you said it

7. Tony Jaa makes actions movies not soaps

You need to be careful how you reply to posts and who you are addressing the post too, as I said mate, go travelling and see the world with your eyes open.......

By the way, your spelling and grammar are terrible.