Extending A Non-Imm B Based On Marriage

I'm still trying to understand this, but I keep seeing conflicting information.

I work and I have a Non-Imm B visa. Last year I extended the visa based on employment.

This year I'm going to extend the visa based on marriage. My wife and I did a "dry run" to our local immigration office to make sure we had the necessary documentation. I'll be applying with my wife present next month. I'll apply 30 days before the my visa expires.

Do I have this concept correct:

I'm extending my original Non-Imm B visa, but the extension is based on marriage instead of employment.

* This will not change my visa from a Non-Imm B visa to a Non-Imm OA (True or False).

If my visa is still a Non-Imm B AND my extension is based and marriage AND my employment ends what happens next???

* If I have a Non-Imm B visa that has been extended based on marriage, is the visa still valid for the duration of the extension, or -

* Is my visa now invalid therefore requiring me to exit Thailand to apply for a new Non-Imm OA, or

* is there some other process that I'm not understanding.

You will just change the reason for your extension of stay. Yes you do with your wife and present financials of 40k per month or 400k in bank for Thai wife extension of stay.

Your visa ended long ago; either when the expiration date was passed (multi) or on your entry (single) and since that time you have used permitted to stay and extension of stay to remain here. You are just changing that extension of stay reason.

You will just change the reason for your extension of stay. Yes you do with your wife and present financials of 40k per month or 400k in bank for Thai wife extension of stay.

Your visa ended long ago; either when the expiration date was passed (multi) or on your entry (single) and since that time you have used permitted to stay and extension of stay to remain here. You are just changing that extension of stay reason.

Lopburi3 -- That actually almost makes sense. :unsure:

However, this is where a get confused. I've been told that I have one (1) day to exit the country if my employments ends ( I signed a piece of paper acknowledging that fact). However, if I understand you correctly, I have to leave because my extension is based on Employment -- and -- this really does not have anything to do with the original Non-Imm B visa that was issued a couple of years ago because the original visa just got me into the country the first time -- does that sound correct?

Therefore, if I am granted a 1 year extension based on Marriage, then I'm eligible to remain in the country for the duration of the extension even if my employments ends -- is that correct?

If you change form work to thai v wife you get the equivalent of a NON-O and not a NON-B, this will not show in your passport like a NON-B does it will just be a stamp with 'Thai Wife' written in it, it doesn't really matter as you can work on a NON-O if you are married.

It is much better to base it on marrige instead of the company, they have you by the curl's and some company's really like to play up on that, and at the end of the say if you lose the job then you have to leave the country immediately go get another visa which if you wasn't married would be a tourist visa, then look for a job , find a job then have to get a NON visa to apply for a wp so it is always best if possible that you get the extension based on marrige and not work.

Good luck

The entry visa does not change and is and always will be a non immigrant B visa entry if extensions of stay are continuous. Only the extension of stay will change from work to Thai wife. Extensions of stay are not the same thing as visas.

The entry visa does not change and is and always will be a non immigrant B visa entry if extensions of stay are continuous. Only the extension of stay will change from work to Thai wife. Extensions of stay are not the same thing as visas.

Why is it then that if you go to the BOI like i did and change from thai wife to work then they slap a big NON-B stamp in their but for thai wife it is just a stamp which says thai wife, so if i did a reverse and went back to thai wife wife from BOI they would give me another NON-B stamp??I dont see why they would as you are now extending your extension to stay based on support your thai wife and not necessarily work so why would they put another NON-B stamp in their??

Edited by 2008bangkok

it doesn't really matter as you can work on a NON-O if you are married.

Have the rules changed? In February I was advised that on a "marriage visa" I was not allowed to work.

Which is correct?

Thanks,

Peter.

My wife and I are considering running a small guest house. If I understand the rules correctly I will not be eligible for a work permit, unless we employ at least 4 Thai people. How much work can I do in our own gh? What can I expect to get away with?

The above is the link you provided with your question. The answer was "none". You did not ask anything about ability to obtain a work permit on a non immigrant O visa.

Thanks for your reply. The question of a work permit was discussed in the quoted topic earlier on. The way it was stated above in here, however, led me to believe that I would be allowed to work on a marriage visa. Obviously, nothing has changed then.

Cheers,

Peter.

You require a work permit to work. A work permit can normally be issued on a non immigrant O visa entry or extension of stay (for marriage) but will require meeting work permit requirements of job/company. Marriage is not a qualification for issue of a work permit.