Propane Gas Ovens

thairhone

I am looking for a gas propane oven to put in our kitchen in a house we are building and was wondering if anyone knows where I might be able to find one. I can find electric ones all day long, but so far.....no gas ones. Thanks in advance.....thairhone

An electric fan forced oven is better than a gas oven, but gas is better for the cook top.

I use a convection oven,House Worth brand, stainless steel, which is very easy to clean and cheap to run.Cost , about B2,000.I use a separate gas cooktop, the best and most economical are Infra-red ones.Cost also about B2,000

I use a convection oven,House Worth brand, stainless steel, which is very easy to clean and cheap to run.Cost , about B2,000.I use a separate gas cooktop, the best and most economical are Infra-red ones.Cost also about B2,000

You can find gas oven with 3 gas ring at Carfour on super high way I think they were around 9,000Bt they only have 1 model:rolleyes:

Siam TV have 3 models of gas over with 2/3 rings for 9,000 or under. I bought a Zanussi oven, 3 ring hob there for 6,000 baht. Cooks just fine.

They also have more expensive options as does Homepro which has a range of ovens up to 60,000 baht if you have cash coming out of your ears.

Edited by miltonbentley

Just a word of warning, we quickly discovered that our gas-oven doesn't reach high-enough temperatures, for baking stuff, so had to get a decent electric one instead. I was told this is due to the bottled-gas being a bit crap. :(

If anyone is interested, just did the calulations for gas/electricity cost effectiveness:

Gas energy works out to 12.8 kWhr/kg, and a recharge of 15kg is 115 THB: works out to about 0.6 THB/kWhr. Electricity at cost is about 3 THB/kWhr. Gas for heating/cooking is a lot better value at 1/5 of the cost.

Off topic: Did the calcs for water too - Ground water, town supply and drinking water:

Ground water (smelly and discolored) cost is basically your electricity charge for the pump. Works out to 0.2-0.3 THB/m3 (cubic meter) for a 12m head.

Town supply - (clean) works out to something like 17 THB/m3 - thats the local washing shop. I understand that varies with usage, and might be arround 13 THB/m3 for a residential user.

Drinking water is arround 1000 THB/m3 in bulk. You install your own filtration system, it still comes in about 300 THB/m3 based on filter cost (1500) and capacity (5000l)

I only investigated the installation costs for drinking water, as the others are already fitted at the place I just rented; about 4000-5000 THB installation for a small system. Don't recall capacity.

Edited by ilgitano

Just a word of warning, we quickly discovered that our gas-oven doesn't reach high-enough temperatures, for baking stuff, so had to get a decent electric one instead. I was told this is due to the bottled-gas being a bit crap. :(

Who told you that? The salesman?

Its not the bottled gas, the burners in your oven are underrated. Cheap design. LPG is basically a mix of propane and butane, proportions varying based on location and supplier. Not enough variability to be able to make 'crap' gas.

What make is it? One to avoid.

Edited by ilgitano
  • Like 1

If anyone is interested, just did the calulations for gas/electricity cost effectiveness:

Gas energy works out to 12.8 kWhr/kg, and a recharge of 15kg is 115 THB: works out to about 0.6 THB/kWhr. Electricity at cost is about 3 THB/kWhr. Gas for heating/cooking is a lot better value at 1/5 of the cost.

<snip for brevity>

Funny, we've been paying 300-320 B per-cylinder (delivered) for years, and so do all our friends in CM, can you tell me where I can get a recharge locally for 115 B ? <_<

And my gas-cooker is a Whirlpool WGR 40J, the burners on top are fine for boiling things, but the oven struggles to reach a high-enough temperature to bake or roast.

In our bakery we have commercial ovens powered bypropane gas and they work just fine. They can reach a temperature of more than 400 Celsius. So the problem isn't due to the gas.

In our bakery we have commercial ovens powered bypropane gas and they work just fine. They can reach a temperature of more than 400 Celsius. So the problem isn't due to the gas.

Fair enough, so it's not the gas, it's the cooker. Still a potential-problem for the OP to watch out for. I think we got our cooker from Home-Pro, by the way.

<snip for brevity>

Funny, we've been paying 300-320 B per-cylinder (delivered) for years, and so do all our friends in CM, can you tell me where I can get a recharge locally for 115 B ? <_<

And my gas-cooker is a Whirlpool WGR 40J, the burners on top are fine for boiling things, but the oven struggles to reach a high-enough temperature to bake or roast.

Sorry, she told me 'sam loy sip ha' for 15 kg - I seem to have lost the 'sam' in translation, so you are correct - 315 THB here. Thats the washing lady here, and she knows what shes about. Works out to 1.64 THB/kWhr - about 1/2 electricity. :ermm:

I'm wondering if these ovens running too cool are maybe designed for natural gas rather than LPG? But LPG is 3x more energetic than natural gas, so I would have thought that they would run too hot rather than too cool... :crazy:

LPG is a mix of propane and butane, both burn with near the same energy/kg. The mix depends on source and intended use, propane being preferred in colder climes because of a lower boiling point than butane (-42C vs -0.6C). Precious little chance to make 'crap' gas, I still reckon it's a design issue.

http://auto.howstuffworks.com/fuel-efficiency/alternative-fuels/lpg1.htm :crazy:

[edit] Is there a time limit on editing posts? I wanted to correct my previous post... :whistling:

Edited by ilgitano

You said 'propane' - are you using the same gas as everyone else - LPG compressed in the cylinders? 'Proportion of propane to butane can vary depending on use and source'. The amount of butane in the mix (a heavier gas) might be the issue. (ie too much butane = crap gas :ermm: )

Edited by ilgitano

Alright, it's been a couple days with this topic without the correct answer so I guess it's up to me.

Go to Phuen Khrua ("Kitchen Friend", only a Thai sign though) on the old Lamphun road, just South of the Nong Hoi intersection on the left side before you get to the 89 Plaza area when coming from town. You'll find it easily, it's a large store where they sell absolutely anything related to cooking/baking, also commercial equipment, and also ingredients in wholesale quantities. It's a brilliant store and should probably be the first stop for anyone with a serious culinary agenda. Anything else (esp. the supermarkets, Siam TV etc) pale in comparison.

Please give me some stars for the answer. Thanks!

• Like 2

Alright, it's been a couple days with this topic without the correct answer so I guess it's up to me.

Go to Phuen Khrua ("Kitchen Friend", only a Thai sign though) on the old Lamphun road, just South of the Nong Hoi intersection on the left side before you get to the 89 Plaza area when coming from town. You'll find it easily, it's a large store where they sell absolutely anything related to cooking/baking, also commercial equipment, and also ingredients in wholesale quantities. It's a brilliant store and should probably be the first stop for anyone with a serious culinary agenda. Anything else (esp. the supermarkets, Siam TV etc) pale in comparison.

Please give me some stars for the answer. Thanks!

Thank you, thank you.....the next time I get to CM, I will definitely go by there and see what they have. I was in CR yesterday, and checked at Makro and everywhere else, and did not find what I was looking for. Thanks again WinnieThe Khwai.....any resemblence to a Pooh? Thairhone

Thanks.. Let me go above and beyond and dig up the link & contact info as well: http://www.cmbakermart.com/ ;)

Unfortunately the link you provided is coming up as a threat in Chrome.

Not for me. I just opened it in Chrome; no issues. (Chrome 5.0.375.125 )

If the browser picks up the threat that's great, but in this case the antivirus did. Avast also picked up a trojan. Could have been hacked, don't open folks!

Thanks.. Let me go above and beyond and dig up the link & contact info as well: http://www.cmbakermart.com/ ;)

Unfortunately the link you provided is coming up as a threat in Chrome.

Not for me. I just opened it in Chrome; no issues. (Chrome 5.0.375.125 )

If the browser picks up the threat that's great, but in this case the antivirus did. Avast also picked up a trojan. Could have been hacked, don't open folks!

Confirmed. The site in question has a highly obfuscated malicious javascript embedded in the body of the document. Do not open (from a browser in Windows).

-Mestizo