Home Refrigerator

MikeWill

What ever you choose, make sure they have a full Service Centre, just in case,

not just a local dealer.

I totally agree with Astral! I have used the service center for both Electrolux and Mitsubishi, which are both excellent. Saved me a lot of time, effort and money since the repairmen are knowledgeable about the product, have OEM parts at their cost, and only charge a basic service charge for the repair. Might cost a bit more for these name brands, but well worth it!

I like Samsung and have quite a few of their products, but I would not buy another Samsung refrigerator.  Mine gave out quickly, and the repairman said they tend to have problems.  I now have an Electrolux, which works great.  I have been told Panasonic and Hitachi are pretty good, too.

About once a month, it seems, there are pretty good sales at Powerbuy or PowerMall, and there are some pretty deep discounts available.

Thanks all for the input on the Side by Side refrigerators.

Interesting that bonobo has had repair issues on Samsung- have heard the same from a few others. I read astral has Samsung and I assume no repairs/problems.

Anyone know if Smeg or Electrolux have Pattaya service centers?

Interesting that bonobo has had repair issues on Samsung- have heard the same from a few others. I read astral has Samsung and I assume no repairs/problems.

i think samsung try to do good stuff, but they have problems with aircond / fridge what i am award off

Not sure if current but worth trying..

ELECTROLUX THAILAND CO., LTD.

97/32, Moo. 6, Pattaya Klang,

PATTAYA 20260

Currently have 20CF (580L) Samsung and 19CF (550L) Hitachi.

Samsung service department very badly run (although tech was good). Took a week to replace door switch (had to import from Singapore) and office said would take four weeks so after six days cut the alarm bell - only to have it fixed the next day. The switch also controls cooling. We will never buy another Samsung after this experience - tech was in agreement office was very badly run.

The Hitachi was bought to replace a 14CF Whirlpool. It was a 14CF model with a door that was not mounted correctly and had to be repaired three times. Other 10CF Whirlpool has also failed several times but at least door shuts. They are low price units from several makers getting tagged with the name.

Have had no problem with the Hitachi (and have a washer from them doing 4-5 loads a day for many years that is faultless). Will definitely go with Hitachi.

I would avoid the high priced side-by-side units as they are messy for storage (too small for many items) and in general not as easy to use as either top or bottom freezers.

Just this Sunday past, I bought a side-by-side 2 door fridge... a 210L capacity GE model (sorry can't remember the model) from HomePro in the Carrefour complex in Pattaya... cost was 49,000 THB. The promotion included a free electric fan and 2 easy chairs.

Should be delivered this afternoon. :D

Mental note: buy a couple of cases of Chang on the way home... :)

That's a job well done, and I'm very jealous...

I wanted a huge fridge, but the missus wouldn't let me. :D I ended up buying a 16,000 baht, short(ish) and stubby(ish) Mitsubishi unit. It's around 15CF, and I'm very very happy with it - although it's a tad on the small side for my liking.

I also buy from Carrefour; finding their service on white goods far better than Tesco or Makro. Makro is NOT the place to buy white goods IMHO, though I do fill my freezer full of Makro smoked salmon, beef steaks and frozen veg...

Can I just add that folk shouldn't be put off of all Whirlpool products. I've had Whirlpool washing / drying machines for the last 7 years working daily loads, and they've been superb. Whirlpool washing machines, National / Panasonic showers; best value products in Thailand.

Edited by jasreeve17

I remember hearing/reading that the majority of fridges are made in the one factory in Korea, so under the skin there won't be a lot of difference.. however companies like Mitsubishi, Hitachi etc won't usually put their name on anything substandard.

Fridges all have a big label on them saying how much they cost to run (inversely related to how much they cost to buy) and it seems to be a general rule of thumb that the cheaper ones to run will be from the best brands.

I now have a refrigerator (freezer on the bottom) that is HUGE. Probably the best advice I was given in Thailand was to get the largest I could afford because so much needs to be stored under refrigeration if only to keep the bugs out of dry foodstuffs. The brand I bought is Fischer-Paykel. I had never heard of it before but learned it is a New Zealand company that manufactures in Australia and now somewhere in Southeast Asia as well. It cost the earth. But it is also the most beautiful appliance I have ever owned. It is sleek brushed stainless steel with no avatars or hood ornaments showing. I think it would not look out of place in a museum of modern art.

Besides all that it performs beautifully

Not sure if current but worth trying..

ELECTROLUX THAILAND CO., LTD.

97/32, Moo. 6, Pattaya Klang,

PATTAYA 20260

i will go for electrolux if i need to buy a new fridge or washer.

they all time give me a good service with my zanucchi

I recently purchased a Panasonic refrigerator with freezer on the bottom which I find much more user friendly (I have some back & knee joint problems) given that it is easy to access the items. My old fridge ended up with a lot of out of date products simply because I could not see them or forgot about them. The rest of the family although aware of expiry dates just simply do not think about them. It is also an inverter system which cuts down on electrical costs & have just witnessed it with our latest electric bill.

When pushed the sales people in every shop seemed to think the compressors on Samsung were not as strong as the other models & so not likely to last as long. I do like their LCD TVs though.

If you are also looking at air conditioners check out the inverter models as they too save on electricity even though the initial cost is higher than standard models. However as more of them come to the market prices should drop.

Will second/third the negative reports on whirlpool......our 4 yr old 15 cuft fridg door is falling off and service guys say can't be fixed, bad model all same same. I can see design flaw in placing a large capacity water dispenser on the door......must be 25lt hanging on the door plus all the bottles of milk, juice etc that you place in the door shelves.

Why don't us whirlpool victims unite and take a class action law suit against whirlpool??

I remember when fridges lasted 20+ yrs....today, they're just disposable plastic.

I am looking at models with automatic ice maker now. Mitsubishi has 2 models that look great, cost is about 20k baht, 350 liters. samsung also has one, its called RT37MCSS1. If anyone has seen or own the latter, i would be grateful for advice.

The 19CF Hitachi model I have has a semi automatic ice maker - you fill container with pure water in refrigerator section and it draws that to make ice. Works great and have enough ice for 10 person home. No ice cube trays needed after that was bought.

Edited by lopburi3

I am looking at models with automatic ice maker now. Mitsubishi has 2 models that look great, cost is about 20k baht, 350 liters. samsung also has one, its called RT37MCSS1. If anyone has seen or own the latter, i would be grateful for advice.

The 19CF Hitachi model I have has a semi automatic ice maker - you fill container with pure water in refrigerator section and it draws that to make ice. Works great and have enough ice for 10 person home. No ice cube trays needed after that was bought.

Thanks for the hitachi tip. I did some checking and found this model, R-Z440TX, its 15,5 q (440 liters). It looks great, with automatic ice maker etc. They do have some bigger ones too as you say with the same design. but i think 440 liters is big enough. also, i dont want a refrigerator that i dont use the whole space in. Bigger means more electricity, but i am not sure how much more. So, if anyone knows how 2 models with the same specs but different size (440liter vs 556 liter) will differ in use of electricity, i would appreciate it.

If you want a huge refrigerator at around 25k baht, and dont want to step up to the french door 40k baht class, hitachi seems to be a very good choice.

http://www.hitachi-th.com/hitachi_new/prod...ameEn〈=

cheers, chr

Thanks for the hitachi tip. I did some checking and found this model, R-Z440TX, its 15,5 q (440 liters). It looks great, with automatic ice maker etc. They do have some bigger ones too as you say with the same design. but i think 440 liters is big enough. also, i dont want a refrigerator that i dont use the whole space in. Bigger means more electricity, but i am not sure how much more. So, if anyone knows how 2 models with the same specs but different size (440liter vs 556 liter) will differ in use of electricity, i would appreciate it.

If you want a huge refrigerator at around 25k baht, and dont want to step up to the french door 40k baht class, hitachi seems to be a very good choice.

http://www.hitachi-th.com/hitachi_new/prod...ameEn〈=

cheers, chr

The energy rating sticker on the fridge states the cost of electricity for that particular fridge so very easy to compare. As I said earlier the inverter models are cheaper to run.

the problem is that no store has these hitachi models in the store in my area. i must order them. So, i cant see any stickers. I am trying to find the info in the spec sheet on the hitachi site, but havent been able to find the correct info so far.