Waiting On Fiance Visa To Australia

Can any one tell me how long the wait is on a fiancee visa at the moment?

My fiance has had her application in Bangkok since 3 March, had her interview 3 April.

We have not heard from the immigration department at all, is this normal or if they need any other paper work would they have contacted us by now?

I know by reading other posts in here that this time is a very nervous period of waiting and we all get anxious,but I can't help wondering about the efficiency of the Bangkok Embassy.

God it will be good to get her to OZ,but ###### looks like we might lose some holiday pay shortly with a Government just like their Embassy in Bangkok :o

My GF had the interview March 21 and got the ok March 30. You have got a direct Number for your case officer - why not give her a ring?!

Thanks guys good to find out about how long others take,I did get an email sent to my local federal member from Bangkok and they are still processing and have told my fiancee that they just waiting for her to get a medical done on her son whom is a part of the package, :o welcome one though.

I just asked yesterday, and was told "anything from 6 months to 2 years..."

I was told the same thing when we applied on May 11. We were contacted immediately when they required extra documents, so you can be sure that they are working on your case. But they don't seem to appreciate you calling just to ask "how's my application going?".

In our case, my Thai wife is pregnant, so we're awaiting the birth of our child before we get the medical and X-ray done. So far as I can tell, that is the only hold-up for us.

Does anyone know if they will ask us to do a DNA test on the our daughter?

Thanks guys good to find out about how long others take,I did get an email sent to my local federal member from Bangkok and they are still processing and have told my fiancee that they just waiting for her to get a medical done on her son whom is a part of the package, :o welcome one though.

They will not fully process your visa untill they have ALL relevant documents and tests done. Why don't you get the medical done tomorow and then ask the case worker politely whether they need any more information and how long it may take. But in any case get medical done ASAP as this will only hold up your fiancees visa.

I was told the same thing when we applied on May 11. We were contacted immediately when they required extra documents, so you can be sure that they are working on your case. But they don't seem to appreciate you calling just to ask "how's my application going?".

In our case, my Thai wife is pregnant, so we're awaiting the birth of our child before we get the medical and X-ray done. So far as I can tell, that is the only hold-up for us.

bisou - I am assuming you are from australia.

Once the baby is born you can apply for Citizenship By Descent. It is a fairly straightforward process. You will need to provide birth cirtificate (can't remember if needs to be translated into english), and proof that you and the mother were together when the child was conceived. Passports stamps and the such. If you have any ultrasound photos or doctors statments showing age of foetus then this will help. It might also help to be there for the birth and have your name on the birth cirtificate.

Personally we had a caesarian birth 2 weeks early and so had to show early ultrasound images stating the age of foetus and then looking at the dates we were together from that. The embassy says that they only use DNA testing as a last resort . When I looked at costing (with the recommended clinic from embassy) it was going to cost about $AU 950. So try and avoid it if you can.

Our fiancee visa was held up in waiting until a decision on the citizenship of child was decided. All looks ok now. Just a long wait.

bisou - I am assuming you are from australia.

Once the baby is born you can apply for Citizenship By Descent. It is a fairly straightforward process. You will need to provide birth cirtificate (can't remember if needs to be translated into english), and proof that you and the mother were together when the child was conceived. Passports stamps and the such. If you have any ultrasound photos or doctors statments showing age of foetus then this will help. It might also help to be there for the birth and have your name on the birth cirtificate.

Personally we had a caesarian birth 2 weeks early and so had to show early ultrasound images stating the age of foetus and then looking at the dates we were together from that. The embassy says that they only use DNA testing as a last resort . When I looked at costing (with the recommended clinic from embassy) it was going to cost about $AU 950. So try and avoid it if you can.

Our fiancee visa was held up in waiting until a decision on the citizenship of child was decided. All looks ok now. Just a long wait.

We applied for Citizenship by Descent for our son, now 9 months old. We did need to have his birth certificate translated into english, plus copies of my passport pages showing entry and exit stamps, plus my Australian Citizenship Certificate etc. The guy at the Embassy was very helpful and gave me his email address.

After about 6 weeks I contacted him by email and he replied saying it was still in progress. After 2 months I tried again and his email bounced. I left messages on the Embassy phone system for him to ring me back but never got any replies.

Then a few weeks later we got a letter from them saying that they needed proof of our relationship and that I was the father of our son and that DNA woudl be a good way to establish this. My name is on the birth certificate and my passport stamps prove that I was in Thailand at the time of conception and delivery but apparently this was not enough.

I wrote a long document in Word giving the details of how we had met and lived together over the past two years. I included photos of us together and names and phone numbers of people we knew during that time. I printed this out and sent it to the Embassy.

From then on it was straight forward. Within a week or two they sent us the Certificate.

Recently I emailed the Emabassy about getting a passport for our son and I have to say that the person who replied was very helpful and responsive in a series of emails exchanged over two days.

• 3 months later...

FOLLOW-UP POSTING:

In case anyone is interested, we (me, my Thai wife and our Bangkok-born daughter) are now all happily in Oz.

We were not asked for a DNA test, just a translated version of the baby's birth ceritificate. The baby received her Citizenship by Descent about a week after applying, and we got her Oz passport about a week after that.

My wife was granted her migrant visa after she was well enough after the birth to do the medical.