Thai Pasport For Child - Child Have To Show Up?

MartinDK

Hi

My wife is currently in Thailand. I am home in Denmark staying with our child who is 2 years old. My wife wants to make a new pasport for herself and asks me if she can make a new one as well for our child as she is going to the pasport office anyway. The question is, can she do that as the child can not go to take a picture at the pasport office?

Martin

Edited by MartinDK

plus u need BOTH mom and dad to sign on the aplication.

Just apply for it in Denmark

Small clarification: You both have to approve the passport application, but you don't both have appear at the passport office or embassy to apply for the passport.

Small clarification: You both have to approve the passport application, but you don't both have appear at the passport office or embassy to apply for the passport.

No, you don't need both parents to approve the application, only the Thai parent. Yes, the child does need to go to the passport office for the photo. This information is correct as of 2 months ago when my son got his new Thai passport.

No, you don't need both parents to approve the application, only the Thai parent. Yes, the child does need to go to the passport office for the photo. This information is correct as of 2 months ago when my son got his new Thai passport.

The law makes no destinction between a Thai and a foreign parent. Both have to aprove the passport application.

In your case either the officer had an interpretation of the law that is not correct or the mother has sole custody over the child.

• 2 weeks later...

I am just back from the Passport Office on Bangna-Trat highway and I can confirm that both parents have to approve and sign the application for a Thai passport. My wife is Thai, I am Swiss, both kids were born in Switzerland and have already a Swiss passport.

The clerk wanted to see the Swiss passport of the kids and the kids even had to sign the application in English and Thai (they are 7 and 9). Both parents had to sign too. Some problem with the birth certificate, they wanted to see the original, the translation (certified, legalized up to the Ministry of Foreign Affairs) was deemed insufficient. So much for government coordination!

Photos were taken on the spot, no need to bring your own.

Cost: THB 1,000 per passport.

The law makes no destinction between a Thai and a foreign parent. Both have to aprove the passport application.

In your case either the officer had an interpretation of the law that is not correct or the mother has sole custody over the child.

That's weird - his Thai dad took him to the Chaeng Wattana office and did everything; I never had to sign anything. When I went to pick up my son's passport, all I had to do was show mine. Must just have been an anomaly though.