Entering Th W/Us Passport Valid Less Than 6 Months

I am a US citizen traveling to the US next month for a short stay.

When I return to BKK, my passport will be valid for only 5½ months. I have a retirement "visa" which also expires when my p/p expires in 5½ months.

• Will Immigration let me enter Thailand with less than 6 months validity on my passport?
  • Will the airline (EVA) raise a fuss over the time left on my p/p?
  • How many days to process a US passport renewal in BKK?
  • How many days to transfer the retirement "visa" to my new passport?

Thank you.

6 months validity is required for entry into Thailand.

It would be the airlines responsibility to check as they will be liable if you are not allowed entry.

It would be up to Immigration in Thailand to transfer your permission to stay stamp.

Enter Thailand with both Passports.

You do not say where you are at the moment but you need to get a new passport before you try and come back. If the airlines catch this they may not let you on the flight and if immigration in Bangkok catch this they will not let you in. Get a new passport and then keep the two together until you get you visa issue sorted out in Thailand.

• Like 1

Thanks for the quick replies.

I am in Thailand and will see embassy tomorrow to renew p/p.

Any idea of length of time to get a US passport renewal processed (ie one week or three)

and

how long to xfer my retirement visa to the new passport?

Transfer of your details etc will take about 30 minutes (besides waiting for your turn) and is free of charge. Just copy old and new passprt relevant pages (ID and the one with stamps) and your arrival card and pass photo. Just fill out a form.

If you have a valid visa, it will nt be transfered, only the details, and you will need to keep the old passport along with the new passport to make use of the visa.

Promise you that this is my last question for the day. Are there any sites near the US Embassy that take/sell passport pictures? I know many stores near Ploenchit have been destroyed for a new condo bldg on the corner. Any other photo shops in the lower Sukhumvit area?

I believe there are places in the building directly across the street from ACS next to the new Embassy building - but you may be able to take/print on photo paper yourself and have it accepted as US is not nearly as strict as UK seems to be. That is what I did last year.

Prior digital age went round-and-round with Kodak places as they would change any photo to blue background regardless of what the office shot it against. For US it should be white or off-white.