Visa And Passport Expirey

My visa is due to expire on 2 Oct and my passport expires on 29 Oct. Would I correct in thinking I should I get my passport renewed now and not after my visa is renewed, as the passport should have at least a year left. If I renew my passport now could I wait until Oct, visa renewal, to have the visa transferred to my new passport and save two visit to the Immigration office within a couple of weeks? Any comment would be appreciated.

A Thai visa can never be transferred to another passport. Only the current permitted to stay stamp is (and suspect that may be what you mean?). Or are you talking about one year extensions of stay?

You need a new passport if you plan to return to Thailand (and you should have obtained it some time ago). You can not obtain a new visa or entry into Thailand on your current passport so you must obtain a new one now. Then leave to obtain a new visa or visit Immigration for a new extension of stay. If extension of stay they can be obtained up to 30 days early so only one visit would be required in any case.

A Thai visa can never be transferred to another passport. Only the current permitted to stay stamp is (and suspect that may be what you mean?). Or are you talking about one year extensions of stay?

You need a new passport if you plan to return to Thailand (and you should have obtained it some time ago). You can not obtain a new visa or entry into Thailand on your current passport so you must obtain a new one now. Then leave to obtain a new visa or visit Immigration for a new extension of stay. If extension of stay they can be obtained up to 30 days early so only one visit would be required in any case.

Sorry I should have made it clear I already live in Thailand, Chiangmai,

By all means get a new PP NOW.

Just hope you get the new PP in time for your extension of stay expiry.

Depending on your nationality it can take a month or two.

If you get your extension first it will bet stamped only up to the expiry date of your PP, meaning that while your new PP application is being processed you will be here without a valid permit to stay after your PP has expired.

Since you will get a new PP probably close to your extension of stay permit application you should not have any problem to do the transfer and application at the same time. You can also file the application for extension up to 30 days before expiry so you can do both as soon as you have a new PP.

opalhort