Suvarnabhumi Airport Should Be A Model Not An Embarrassment

webfact

EDITORIAL

Airport should be a model not an embarrassment

By The Nation

Logistics has never been a Thai strongpoint, but we should at least make an effort with the facilities that visitors first encounter

There is an old saying in Thailand that warns people about "drowning in shallow water". The gist of it is that the strategy may be sound, but if the logistics are not there, the end result could prove to be disastrous.

Unfortunately, logistics has never been Thailand's strong point, and the recently launched high-speed train that is supposed to link central Bangkok to the main international airport at Suvarnabhumi in 15 minute is another example of how we just can't seem to get things right. In fact, we can look at just about every public transportation system here and make the same argument. But because the airport link is the latest in a long line of massive infrastructure projects, it makes a good peg to the argument that this country is amateurish when it comes to logistics and public planing.

For years, Thailand has touted itself as the springboard to other countries and regions in Southeast Asia. Foreign visitors and investors would come here, take trips elsewhere in the area, then return here before heading home. We love to think in strategic terms because it allows us to fantasise about the "big picture" and our central place in the region and the wider world.

But strategy and logistics are the language of professionals and those with a sense of responsibility and accountability. Like it or not, these small details are the very thing that will prevent us from "drowning in shallow water".

The State Railway of Thailand and others have argued that the new airport link is fast, cheap and technologically sound, that it will greatly reduce the time needed to get the airport, and that it will be a huge boost to the country's tourism industry. It could eventually be, but at the moment these claims may be a little overstated. There are still issues with lights, walkways and pedestrian crossings at some of the stations, like Ramkhamhaeng for example. Limited space may be an issue at others, which could create security concerns. No doubt there will be teething problems, but we hope that these will be resolved with all due haste.

Transport is one thing, but then there are the numerous problems at the airport itself. The old complaints from the days of Don Mueang have never been dealt with. Today, the "ghost" taxi-drivers and touts are still permitted to roam the arrivals hall looking for victims they can rip off through inflated fares. And how many times are authorities going to relocate the legitimate metered taxis? Common sense tells us that the metered taxis should be waiting right outside the arrival hall so travellers don't have to drag their luggage down to the first floor. But no, this is Thailand, and we just have to make things inconvenient.

There are scam artists at the metered taxi stand, too. If a person with one too many bags is unlucky enough to be assigned a taxi with a natural gas cylinder in the trunk space, a hatchback, van-like taxi is waved over. Meter? What meter? A normal ride to Sri Nakarin Road that would cost about Bt160 then goes as high as Bt600.

Inside the terminal, the amount of space dedicated to common use is extremely small compared to that allocated to shops, shops and more shops. One has to wonder, as the old joke goes, if this isn't a shopping mall with an airport attached to it. It's not uncommon to see people with long stopovers sleeping on the available floor space. Not exactly a welcome sight in a country that likes to boast about its hospitality.

Overpriced food is another oft-heard complaint, and the reason for the extortionate prices is because rent and other overheads are too high. And for a public place with so many food outlets, there aren't nearly sufficient toilets.

But the price of all this to travellers is more than just money. It has to do with a feeling, and the helplessness that stems from the fact that there isn't much you can do because this is the way things work in Thailand.

But of course, the people overseeing the logistics and strategy will always get their cut, leaving one to wonder how high up of the chain of command the baht goes.

Perhaps Newsweek was right all along. Our comparative advantage appears to be golf and sex tourism. The sad reality is that all of us are to blame - the scam artists, the corrupt officials who turn a blind eye and the rest of us - the silent bystanders who observe this, day in day out, indifferent or choosing to say nothing.

nationlogo.jpg

-- The Nation 2010-08-28

Related topic:

• Like 2

A good article and sadly right on the money. As a resident here it is embarrassing to have to warn visitors about things at the airport eg , dont touch in the duty free, be careful about this and that, dont take the taxi , dont talk to people.

The airport link is good on paper but why is the baggage system not ready. The writer is correct about the lack of planning , look at the recent oil exploration issue at Samui, sign the contract to allow exploring and then they will do an environmental impact study

• Like 1

Rubbish article once again :whistling:

Seems to me they finally dealt with the taxi touts/mafia.

Even to the point you can't use the elevator around door 8 to move your luggage cart up to departure level if you need to connect to a domestic flight. I guess it is to prevent the touts to reach international arrivals doors from upper levels!

As a connecting passenger you need to find an other way to get to check in level :lol:

Even to the point you can't use the elevator around door 8 to move your luggage cart up to departure level if you need to connect to a domestic flight. I guess it is to prevent the touts to reach international arrivals doors from upper levels!

As a connecting passenger you need to find an other way to get to check in level :lol:

I have to agree, the airport itself is a very well organised operation through my own experiance. Airports around the world are a rip off regarding food and drink as for people sleeping in Airports I don't think I have visited an airport where someone isn't asleep.

The problem regarding Taxi's is not the airports fault its the taxi licencesing authorities issue.

To blame the airport is unfair IMHO as its beyond their control.

I question the location of the terminus of the new airport rail link: it should have been more convenient to MRT/BTS and in a spot more convenient to traffic.

Another shining example is the new(-ish) southern bus terminal: the terminal is nice (considering the old one wasn't really a terminal at all), but vehicles have to maneuver several km just to get pointed in the direction of where they want to go. Maybe this kind of consideration is classed as implementation, as opposed to planning, in these parts.

I question the location of the terminus of the new airport rail link: it should have been more convenient to MRT/BTS and in a spot more convenient to traffic.

Another shining example is the new(-ish) southern bus terminal: the terminal is nice (considering the old one wasn't really a terminal at all), but vehicles have to maneuver several km just to get pointed in the direction of where they want to go. Maybe this kind of consideration is classed as implementation, as opposed to planning, in these parts.

And who built the Southern bus terminal, and owns it? SC Assets (i.e. Thaksin). Just another in a long line of Thaksin dumb ass decisions.

<snip>

Maybe they could have put it out near the airport where there is not much traffic. whistling.gif

Where would you suggest they put it that is convenient to traffic, where there is space for such a building and where you can put a train line?

Yes, certainly, it needs better road connections so that it's easy to get in and out by taxi, but there is no where else in or near central Bangkok that they could have put it.

I have to agree, the airport itself is a very well organised operation through my own experiance. Airports around the world are a rip off regarding food and drink as for people sleeping in Airports I don't think I have visited an airport where someone isn't asleep.

The problem regarding Taxi's is not the airports fault its the taxi licencesing authorities issue.

What a load of &lt;deleted&gt; - the airport is a disaster in more than the aspect of 'taxi's-n-touts'. Access is blocked for exits,some citing 'airport pass holders only', impossible internally to walk from gate 10 to gate 1 on one level - the arrival hall level, up and down round and round. Public cannot access or see the huge overhead boards for arrivals and exit points and have to rely on 'afterthought' small screens which invariably are in the wrong place, always crowded and often not updated.

As already mentioned the shops take a secondary position to AOT and again the touts who 'somehow' gain access to be able to offer taxi and limo rides to Pattaya and the city at 900 Baht! Then you have taxis as already stated on lower ground. That is where AOT should be relegated. The majority of passengers thus needing fast access are forced to drag luggage up and down long walks or wait for overly crowded slow lifts that are also unable to stop at all floors.

Exterior traffic flow and idiots in tow trucks with blaring klaxon horns, only the outer road allows access to private vehicles thus forcing passengers to walks further after elongated flights and then harassment by Police on exit if you are in your own van, as they question the van driver as to why they have passengers et al.

No Swampy is a mess - the decision makers only amateurs at best. The AOT board who controls the 'systems' are paid advisors and have very little experience in logistics management but as long as they are all paid and nepotism is rife, jobs for the boys, it will remain the mess it is.

annoyed.gif

• Like 1

You cannot please everyone all of the time. There may be the elderly that find the screens hard to see or are too old to walk or navigate the airport, however I personally have had no problems whatsoever with the many flights both national and international from this airport .

Public areas are full a bogus taxi drivers, however that is why they are called public areas because they are for the public.

I think some people just like to moan and then they will moan at just about anything in Thailand. I live in Isaan and the few farrang that live here about 25% are the moaning kind, we have all met them. Have you met them asiawatcher?.;)

Obviously you have never needed a toilet VERY badly at the airport and had to wait anxiously in a queue for a stall to clear... I begged the guy in front of me to let me go first or we would both have an unpleasant olfactory experience within the next thirty seconds.

The touts are out of their control? Since they are committing a crime, I don't see why they can't bring in the cleanest police they can find to bust these guys - oh wait, sorry, it is because the people in charge are being paid to look the other way. This tout problem doesn't occur in other countries with so-called "world class" airports.

The airport generally works okay as far as processing passengers, but the layout sucks... oh yes and then there was the baggage thievery that was going on for ages... I lost a phone from inside my luggage and so did a lot of other people. When I called to complain, I got ping-ponged between the airline and the airport authority, each claiming it wasn't their responsibility because a subcontractor handles the luggage. Hmmm... "nobody" was responsible.

Edited by zthyadat

"The sad reality is that all of us are to blame - the scam artists, the corrupt officials who turn a blind eye and the rest of us - the silent bystanders who observe this, day in day out, indifferent or choosing to say nothing".

Speak for yourself.

Edited by Cuchulainn

You cannot please everyone all of the time. There may be the elderly that find the screens hard to see or are too old to walk or navigate the airport, however I personally have had no problems whatsoever with the many flights both national and international from this airport .

Public areas are full a bogus taxi drivers, however that is why they are called public areas because they are for the public.

I think some people just like to moan and then they will moan at just about anything in Thailand. I live in Isaan and the few farrang that live here about 25% are the moaning kind, we have all met them. Have you met them asiawatcher?.;)

Major airport all over the world are not pleasant.I have to disagree Suvarnabhumi is far better then most in Asia. The name is a joke they should it made it twice as long, it is BKK for me and who cares what they call it.

The taxi service need some overhaul actually the whole country does with FARANG PRICES that is really a turn off for most travelers. It is an insult to our intelligence. Try Manila airport that is a real ZOO.

Loved the one in Hanoi a few years ago.

As an American travel writer living in Nepal, I can't agree at all with this recent swag at Suvarnabhumi. Granted, I liked the old airport better (mostly because of the attached hotel) but come on, the facilities in Thailand compared to say India, Nepal, or other SA regional airports is top notch. The fact that the train links to downtown now is a great big plus. I get to try it out on Monday, and if I think of it, I can report back. I have been coming to BKK several times a year for the past decade or so, and I have not once had a problem with a cab from the airport. I do agree that prices are high, but what airport in the world isn't plagued with that? As for sleeping quarters, well, it's not like I ever plan on that. During the Yellow Shirt takeover I was stranded, but Thai airways put me up for more then 5 days at a great hotel and paid for most of it. What a great cheap vacation! How much more hospitable can one expect? Well, that's the views of one frequent tourist...

I'm not moaning or complaining, but the Nation editorial is absolutely correct in most of its points...chiefly focusing on the airport rail line...

What's the point of having the express line end at Makkasan station, which isn't connected to any BTS or MRT station?

Why did they follow the BTS model of escalators up but stairs down on a project that's supposedly catering to airport travelers who surely are going to be carrying suitcases of luggage, which don't exactly do stairs well?

Why should a passenger who buys the 100 baht express ticket at the airport have to get off the train at Makkasan, and switch to a different train on the city line in order to continue onward to Phayathai Station, and pay an extra 15 baht for the privilege?

I rode the City Line to the airport and back the other day, and there's absolutely no storage space for luggage (racks or anything) inside those rail cars... just seating areas and then open areas where passengers were standing on what was a pretty crowded train?

And re the airport in general:

The ongoing taxi situation there is an embarrassment, with the meter taxis hidden away and repeatedly moved, and the sky high AOT limos easier to find.

On our trip to the airport the other day, once we arrived, I wanted to visit the Novotel Hotel on the airport site to have a snack and drink before our return trip back. It's a short distance to walk in reality, but no apparent or convenient walking route provided to get from the terminal to the hotel. So even the staff at the hotel suggested don't walk, take their free van shuttle instead, which took longer navigating the airport road circles than we would have taken to walk it.

It's not just the passengers who end up sprawled out on the floor at Suvarnabhumi, but also the immigration officer staff, since they can't even manage to provide a place for them to rest during all-night shifts. There were big articles in some of the newspapers a few months back about that... Bad enough to treat farangs shabbily, but in that cases, it's Thais treating other Thais (government employees) shabbily.

And, as far as I can see, they never have resolved the originally reported problems with the concessionaires having been given more shop space than they were paying for, and the issue of the airport being short of the restroom facilities that it was supposed to have.

And on and on and on... Ohh...and let's not forget the crumbling runways fiasco...

I'm not moaning or complaining, but the Nation editorial is absolutely correct in most of its points...chiefly focusing on the airport rail line...

What's the point of having the express line end at Makkasan station, which isn't connected to any BTS or MRT station?

Why did they follow the BTS model of escalators up but stairs down on a project that's supposedly catering to airport travelers who surely are going to be carrying suitcases of luggage, which don't exactly do stairs well?

Why should a passenger who buys the 100 baht express ticket at the airport have to get off the train at Makkasan, and switch to a different train on the city line in order to continue onward to Phayathai Station, and pay an extra 15 baht for the privilege?

I rode the City Line to the airport and back the other day, and there's absolutely no storage space for luggage (racks or anything) inside those rail cars... just seating areas and then open areas where passengers were standing on what was a pretty crowded train?

<snip>

The City Line is designed as a commuter line, not as an Airport Express catering for travelers with suitcases. The BTS and MRT are both commuter lines too, and don't cater for travelers with large suitcases.

The Express part of it is designed to connect the airport to Makkasan with space for suitcases, from where passengers can choose to catch a taxi, walk to the MRT with their luggage or get onto the City Line to get to the BTS.

Regardless of where the end station was, it wouldn't get 99% of people to where they wanted to go. 99% of the people would need to catch a taxi, BTS or MRT. Even if they could connect directly to the BTS or MRT, they would still most likely need to catch a taxi from the BTS/MRT station to where they wanted to go anyway.

Certainly, Makkasan station needs better road access, and better access to Petchaburi MRT for those not carrying suitcases (since the MRT has no space for large suitcases anyway), but hopefully those things will come soon (Thai time).

The Airport Express is designed to get people from the airport to a central city location quickly. Makkasan is the only area that is big enough, central enough and has access to put a train line to the airport. Where else would you suggest they build a big building like that?

Taking the train which takes 15 minutes is much better than sitting in a taxi for an hour or more in peak or rain affected traffic. You still need to sit in traffic in a taxi from Makkasan to where ever you're going to, but you would have to do that anyway.

Some people will find it useful and convenient. Others won't and will continue catching a taxi directly to or from the airport.

Aren't airport taxis a problem at a lot of major airports?

I always remember stepping off the plane at JFK and the first thing I saw was a billboard warning about dodgy taxi drivers.

And to say that every bit of Thailand's public transport system is defective is a bit of s atretch. BTS. MRT. BRT? Slow sleeper train is nice too. Have I missed something, been using the BTS for 8 years and never had a problem.

And re the airport in general:

The ongoing taxi situation there is an embarrassment, with the meter taxis hidden away and repeatedly moved, and the sky high AOT limos easier to find.

On our trip to the airport the other day, once we arrived, I wanted to visit the Novotel Hotel on the airport site to have a snack and drink before our return trip back. It's a short distance to walk in reality, but no apparent or convenient walking route provided to get from the terminal to the hotel. So even the staff at the hotel suggested don't walk, take their free van shuttle instead, which took longer navigating the airport road circles than we would have taken to walk it.

It's not just the passengers who end up sprawled out on the floor at Suvarnabhumi, but also the immigration officer staff, since they can't even manage to provide a place for them to rest during all-night shifts. There were big articles in some of the newspapers a few months back about that... Bad enough to treat farangs shabbily, but in that cases, it's Thais treating other Thais (government employees) shabbily.

And, as far as I can see, they never have resolved the originally reported problems with the concessionaires having been given more shop space than they were paying for, and the issue of the airport being short of the restroom facilities that it was supposed to have.

And on and on and on... Ohh...and let's not forget the crumbling runways fiasco...

i love articles that start im not moaning but... and then do nothing but bitch great!

by the way im not moaning but .....

For years, Thailand has touted itself as the springboard to other countries and regions in Southeast Asia. Foreign visitors and investors would come here, take trips elsewhere in the area, then return here before heading home. We love to think in strategic terms because it allows us to fantasise about the "big picture" and our central place in the region and the wider world.

I think he meant to say : For years Thailand has touted itself as the HUB to other countries in Southeast Asia.

As an American travel writer living in Nepal, I can't agree at all with this recent swag at Suvarnabhumi. Granted, I liked the old airport better (mostly because of the attached hotel) but come on, the facilities in Thailand compared to say India, Nepal, or other SA regional airports is top notch. The fact that the train links to downtown now is a great big plus. I get to try it out on Monday, and if I think of it, I can report back. I have been coming to BKK several times a year for the past decade or so, and I have not once had a problem with a cab from the airport. I do agree that prices are high, but what airport in the world isn't plagued with that? As for sleeping quarters, well, it's not like I ever plan on that. During the Yellow Shirt takeover I was stranded, but Thai airways put me up for more then 5 days at a great hotel and paid for most of it. What a great cheap vacation! How much more hospitable can one expect? Well, that's the views of one frequent tourist...

Hear Hear; finally someone that appreciates the airport, I've flown in/out of there 25/30 times, never had a problem with a "Farang Taxi" as another poster claims - most of the robberies, rip offs, and whatnot are most likely somene trying to bargain thier way into a cheaper ride back from the airport, I've taken the train to Phaya Thai, only had to walk a short distance - with luggage - to get the train - I have taken the city bus which droppes me off at the hotel I stay in on Soi 11, Taxi's, Limo's and in twnty five years never been robbed of 'ripped off' maybe because I took the trouble to learn a little Thai they treat me better than the complaining muckluck posters above.........Thanx for the positive spin. :) :) :)

Stating facts and asking why they couldn't have done things better in ways that make obvious sense is neither bitching nor moaning... Look the two words up in the dictionary (if you own one and can read English), you might be surprised...

i love articles that start im not moaning but... and then do nothing but bitch great!

by the way im not moaning but .....

Absolutely THE BEST, THE MOST RIGHT-ON editorial I have ever read in "The Nation", or for that matter ANY Thai journalistic publication....

Too bad no one with any power or ability to start instituting changes will either read this, or find in it the justification required to get the ball Rolling...

The only effect will be to start motivating the Apologists and Face-Savers that have only one response to anything critical ever said about Thailand...

"TIT.. This is Thailand... It's How it is done in Thai Culture... We can't (won't) change it... This is what we love about this place.. If you don't Like it here you shouldn't have come.... You (we) are all guests here, even if you have a wife, 4 kids and a business and have lived here for more than 8 years,... So Shut the F%#k up... If Thailand improves it will be just like the crap-hole I(we) left to live here... So get over it.. or get gone!"

CS

On the way back from the airport the other day, before we left, I explained to my Thai wife we had two choices (without mentioning the respective rail line fares).

1. We could take the express line to Makkasan, which isn't too far from where we live. But then we'd have to either take a taxi home or walk or take taxi to Petchburi MRT, and then MRT to Asoke BTS and then onto our home BTS station, and walking home from there.

2. We could take the city line to Phayathai BTS, then take Skytrain to our home station, and then a short walk home.

Without a pause or even blinking, the Thai wife said go to Phayathai (which is more out of the way distance wise) and then take the Sukhumvit line direct to our home station. And of course, we weren't carrying any luggage, just out for a sightseeing trip on the new rail line.

I have no problem with having a station at Makkasan, though why they couldn't have located it closer to Petchburi MRT is a really good question. But since they didn't, at least they could have make some arrangement to help airport travelers better access Petchburi MRT...like shuttle vans that are used in many cases elsewhere.

Meanwhile, I've never heard an explanation of why they couldn't have allowed the Express Line to continue onward to Phayathai... There is in fact a lot of room for development there along the existing rail right of way... I'm not sure they couldn't have build a station comparable to Makkasan there, if they had wanted to.

the author is absolutely correct. the allocation of the duty free contract to KP without any tender process and in two contracts so it did not need cabinet approval......is a disgrace. Later they found out that KP had taken over more than 50% ! more space than was in the contract. Hence hardly any space to walk, worse than Don Muang!!! then the contract got extended by 3 years for KP again, because of the closure of the airport and the consequent loss .....of money. no tender. The Military Government had the opportunity to stop this whole rort when they kicked out KP from the Airport, but nothing after happened.......

to me 80% of the Airport are a sham!! overpriced, inconvenient long ways, immigration, no place to walk....etc etc. The traveler comes last in the thinking compared to Singapore or Hong Kong!

Edited by swissmariner

The airport is an embarrassment and a stain on Thailand. It would have to be ranked amongst one of the worst in the world. It is outdated and at least 50 yrs behind the times. Modern international airports the planes pull up to the terminals where you embark/ - disembark/not at Bangkok the planes stop 2 or 3 kms away then you have to climb down a ladder and catch a bus. God only knows how the elderly and disabled get on and off. When you finally arrive at the terminal you then have a 3 km jog to catch your connecting flight if you now where you are going. If you don't then to bad I think they have one 32cm information screen there if you can find it. Don't try and ask for help at the information booths because the staff don't understand or speak english (the universal language) If you are lucky enough to find your departure lounge you then get on another bus and head back in the direction from which you came and climb up into the plane.

The airport is totally disfunction and not user friendly. Thailand should take a leaf out of Singapore's book. Changi is an excellent airport and keeps pace with the times.

I must admit tho Bangkok airport is one of the cleanest the dirtiest airport in the world would have to go to Melbourne airport the toilets stink and they are filthy you wouldn't piss in them.

On the subject of touts at the Bangkok Airport. I consider them a service that is available to me if I choose. It is so much cheaper and easier to get a hired car with savvy driver in Bangkok than in Dallas. I live fairly close to the DFW airport and it is a more than 2,000 baht fare for a metered taxi. Because of the prices where they come from, many people think 900 baht to the city center is a reasonable price. If you want to bargain, you can get very affordable weekly rates. No one is forced or tricked into using these services and the worst that can happen to a new arrival is that they pay more than they could have. It's not going to ruin anyone's holiday. I surely won't be using the new rail link because I'll still need a taxi and taxis are cheap in Bangkok so why haul my luggage twice? Regarding the airport, I read on TV forum about a couple of cheap, good Thai restaurants in the airport. Toilets are more readily available at the airport than when on the airplane QED. (Som nam naa about eating greasy or spicy food before a long flight. lol) The place is clean, efficient, safe, and easy to navigate. The only complaint is not enough immigration agents for the early morning flights; there's a backlog of people waiting to get cleared.

... I've flown in/out of there 25/30 times, never had a problem with a "Farang Taxi" as another poster claims - most of the robberies, rip offs, and whatnot are most likely somene trying to bargain thier way into a cheaper ride back from the airport...

I used to consider that also as an imaginary problem since it would never happen to me until I noticed several of my visiting friends had been ripped off between Suvanacracks and downtown Bangkok. It looks like some taxi drivers easily spot new comers and give it a try. Not that unusual.

I do now always provide my friends with a short "user's manual of Thailand" before arrival.

"... I do now always provide my friends with a short "user's manual of Thailand" before arrival."

Sound advice - I give my clients and friends a (four page) summary of what to do - where to exit - who to avoid and what to pay. But either way - the airport impresses in size but functionality, it is a joke!

There are so many problems with Suvarnabhumi from top to bottom, left and right. Given that amount of budget to build a government project is the reason that the government should be held responsible 100% for all the mishaps in design and inconveniences in logistics.

1. Starting with the location itself. Built on a huge marsh susceptible to heavy flooding. The answer? Create water flow off to surrounding neighborhoods, problem solved.

2. The name? Again a spelling reflecting on the direct translation from the Thai language, yet not phonetically. Su-wanna-boom versus Su-varna-boomi? Ridiculous. How does that work for branding?

3. Typical Thai, we want a landmark design so that people can recognize our 'hub' airport. So what do you do? Hire an architect looking to build that landmark project (every architect's wet dream) where 'form' is before 'function'. Terrible finishing materials, lack of bathrooms, non-functional processing (waiting areas at international arrivals, mouse-maze navigating up and down floors, etc.). I'd love to know who has the contract to clean the glass, because it looks like it needs it 'last year'.

4. The Duty Free areas are a joke. The architect was most likely given a command that King Power will have 40,000 square meters, so the architect complied by allocating it but not designing it. The rent is what causes the cost of things to be so high. King Power as the general renter therefore charging re-leasing fees.

5. The whole idea when replacing Don Muang was to re-think the passenger disembarkation and arrivals at the international areas. You know what? It's exactly the same layout.

6. Another idea was to follow Singapore (as in typical Thai fashion to be a 'follower') in having pricing for visitor services (shops, restaurants, etc.) to be at no more than what is found in the city. Big joke, never happened.

7. And the arrivals drop-off is so funny. I just love the convenience of having all those empty roped off VIP areas that make you get off either way before or way after your designated door.

8. The taxis and shuttle services? Someone should look into who has the concession for controlling it. Hint: It's a relative of a former prime minister. And don't forget that the AOT has its own shuttle business too. How's that for an anti-competing government enterprise? It's like having a TAT travel website for travel bookings to compete against the private sector (du-oh, already have one).

The funniest thing is that the AOT was disappointed (year after year) that it wasn't selected as a top ten airport? Puuuhhh-leeeze!

We'll just have to see how they integrate this airport link and really make it convenient for travelers. Don't forget, the BTS and MRT are private enterprises and will only be given to the government after a contract designated time schedule. So don't compare it as a government project.

Wouldn't it be funny if there's a plan to build a nuclear power plant? Or how about retaining walls to protect the city against flooding? Ha ha ha ha....