Flip - Video Camera

chrgrims

I've heard good reports about the Kodak SportsShare ... seems to be better than the Flip and it's waterproof. I've seen this in Panthip. Also seen the Sony Bloggie for 4000 THB in Emporium ..... first time I've seen a bargain there.

I nearly bought one ... but then I wondrered if it is really much better than a decent mobile phone video?

Cheap yes, decent definitely not. The HD versions have ok image quality but they are very inflexible in terms of what you can achieve and the lenses they have. And like the other poster states a mobile phone can achieve similar results. You would be better off with a compact digital camera like the TZ7 which achieve better image result, has optical zoom, and expandable memory.

Check out the new Sony Bloggie which is 4900 baht in Thailand<BR><BR>The Bloggies does 1980 by 1020 full HD video and 4 other modes<BR><BR>Supports either Sony memory stick or SD card<BR><BR>I have made about 100 videos with the Sony and very good for Youtube or websites<BR><BR>I bought one at Central Power Buy<BR><BR>Battery seems to last forever but only recharges through PC USB<BR><BR>After all the videos I have no complaints at all and carry it everywhere

Don't listen to the others the FlipHD I purchased is great, the best thing is that you just unfold the usb and plug it into your computer. The inbuilt software is very easy for editing, saving, burning, uploading your videos.

Really the only downside is the picture quality in very low light isn't very good. It certainly takes better video than my Samsung Galaxy S.

• 1 month later...

thanks guys, great suggestions. havent made up my mind yet. unfortunately i dont live close to a big city, so i need to wait or find a netshop that has one.

I am also looking for the Flip camera aswell, i've been on the flip US site (CISCO), and posted email to them asking for suppliers in Thailand, but heard nothing back, a bit RUDE don't u think!

The flip also has a plastic case which is waterproof, and perfect for my requirements:-

http://www.jessops.com/online.store/products/77779/show.html

Unless i can find an approved reseller over here, i doubt that i'll be able to get them, may end up picking up from UK when i return back for a short trip at the end of the month.

Benjie, where did u pick up your Flip?

:-)

Al

I did alot of research and the Flip was on my short list, but I chose the Kodak Zi8 for more features and better video quality. Kodak has a weather proof version of it as well, the Playsport that I would like to get. Full 1080p, image stabilization 5mp photos at $150 USD. It looks like a great camera.

Edited by floridaguy

• 2 months later...

Check out the new Sony Bloggie which is 4900 baht in Thailand<BR><BR>The Bloggies does 1980 by 1020 full HD video and 4 other modes<BR><BR>Supports either Sony memory stick or SD card<BR><BR>I have made about 100 videos with the Sony and very good for Youtube or websites<BR><BR>I bought one at Central Power Buy<BR><BR>Battery seems to last forever but only recharges through PC USB<BR><BR>After all the videos I have no complaints at all and carry it everywhere

I was going to get the Flip, but it's not available in Thailand. Tried to buy via Amazon, but shipping is about 50% cost of the flip. Add on import tax and I'd be paying double the price. So I checked out the Sony Bloggie you suggested. Looks good, so I'll check it out in Bangkok this week and probably buy one. I'll let you know how I get on with it. Thanks for the advice.

Edited by w11guy

At work, we use a Flip HD cam that we bought off of Amazon. It records good MP4 video. The software that comes with the camera, however, truly sucks. You will have to use something else to do video editing. One other negative point is that you can only charge the battery inside the camera. We bought two battery packs thinking we could be using one while charging the other, but that is not the case.