Become A Prison Visitor

khunken

Just curious but why should people go visit westerners in jail simply because a few of us may share the same nationality or race? I would much rather devote time to an orphanage or actual people in need rather than the meager 5% of convicts in Thai prison who probably aren't innocent to begin with.

Careful, before you know it, Jimbo and his ilk will start handing out negative rep for posts that describes an opposing opinion (he'll probably deny that as well).

:cheesy:

• Replies 114
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Just curious but why should people go visit westerners in jail simply because a few of us may share the same nationality or race? I would much rather devote time to an orphanage or actual people in need rather than the meager 5% of convicts in Thai prison who probably aren't innocent to begin with.

Careful, before you know it, Jimbo and his ilk will start handing out negative rep for posts that describes an opposing opinion (he'll probably deny that as well).

Some of the recreational activities for expats on here are a source of endless amusement. I can imagine some of the guys here going to visit some tattooed thug in jail crying crocodile tears with them over their 30 years for a heroin conviction. It's like the lifetime channel for men.

Edited by wintermute
  • Like 1

Actually I don't have a problem with his reply. Its entirely up to him what he does with his spare time. But I don't attack him for his choice of helping out at an orphanage unlike others here who do attack me for visiting a prisoner once in a while. That's where the difference lies.

It's also obvious with your replies that you are the one who is abusive and rude with your replies. You started with personal attacks and it just shows what type of sorry individual you really are.

I'm a GREAT individual who places all my eggs in the basket that says "good stuff to those who deserve it".

I dont place a single egg in the basket that says "stupid shit head parasites that tries to make prophit by ruining life for everyone they can". Unless you've fiured it out, the lowlife drug smuggler who is now moaning and whining and beahave as if he was wearing pink Hello Kitty nickers belongs to that group - and in case you haven't figured it out, that 's the schmuckster you want me to help in favour of the one's who deserve it and didn't actually make any proactive decisions to end up in their current situation?

I'll pass.

But I don't attack him for his choice of helping out at an orphanage unlike others here who do attack me for visiting a prisoner once in a while. That's where the difference lies.

I may be wrong, but I cant see anyone here having an issue with you visiting an inmate - the problem is that you are condemning those who doesn't want to.

As you did in my case well before I even commented on any of your posts.

I don't want you to help anyone. And I wont judge you for passing on it.

Personally I try to help others and this includes a visit to a prisoner once in a while, visiting foreigners in hospital and helping out with the dogs in the local temple. Perhaps you do other things to help people, giving blood for example or donating some time to local charities. Good on you! Let me say it like this.. I just wish more people would spend some of their free time to help others whether its helping out at an orphanage, a soup kitchen or at a local school. If you don't like visiting prisoners then I can understand. But please don't judge people who are willing to spend a couple of hours of their time visiting foreign inmates.

But I don't attack him for his choice of helping out at an orphanage unlike others here who do attack me for visiting a prisoner once in a while. That's where the difference lies.

I may be wrong, but I cant see anyone here having an issue with you visiting an inmate - the problem is that you are condemning those who doesn't want to.

As you did in my case well before I even commented on any of your posts.

I didn't condemn the fact that you would not visit a prisoner but I do have issues with how you wrote your comments. That's a big difference.

Personally I try to help others and this includes a visit to a prisoner once in a while, visiting foreigners in hospital and helping out with the dogs in the local temple. Perhaps you do other things to help people, giving blood for example or donating some time to local charities. Good on you! Let me say it like this.. I just wish more people would spend some of their free time to help others whether its helping out at an orphanage, a soup kitchen or at a local school. If you don't like visiting prisoners then I can understand. But please don't judge people who are willing to spend a couple of hours of their time visiting foreign inmates.

Have you actually read any of my posts..? Do you have any clue how many times I have stated that you can go ahead visit how many inmates as you want.

It's not sinking in, is it??

There's a Thai expression "pidt tong lang plah" - you really should learn more about the true and deeper meaning of this. Really.

Have you actually read any of my posts..? Do you have any clue how many times I have stated that you can go ahead visit how many inmates as you want.

It's not sinking in, is it??

I have had to defend my choice of visiting inmates and then you say that I have a "stinking attitude". I never said that everyone should go ahead and visit an inmate nor did I ridicule people for not wanting to go. You still don't get the point that the only issue I have with you are the rude things which you continuously write.

People are in Jail for a reason,

Which in Thailand can be for expressing an opinion. :(

If your opinion is to incite violence, that goes for most countries around the world.

Actually I was referring to certain draconian laws regarding other matters. Inciting violence--lock 'em up for sure.

If your opinion is to incite violence, that goes for most countries around the world.

Actually I was referring to certain draconian laws regarding other matters. Inciting violence--lock 'em up for sure.

Well if you are refering to les majeste, yes Thailand does have draconian laws concerning this, but rarely are they ever enforced, and when they are, culprits are often pardoned.

Other countries might not have laws regarding this type of offence, but then in Thailand there's a great deal of freedom in terms of speaking out about religion that is not afforded to citizens of many other countries.

My point being that saying in Thailand you can be jailed for expressing an opinion is misleading because there is a suggestion there that Thailand is somehow different in this regard. It is not.

Well if you are refering to les majeste, yes Thailand does have draconian laws concerning this, but rarely are they ever enforced, and when they are, culprits are often pardoned.

Other countries might not have laws regarding this type of offence, but then in Thailand there's a great deal of freedom in terms of speaking out about religion that is not afforded to citizens of many other countries.

My point being that saying in Thailand you can be jailed for expressing an opinion is misleading because there is a suggestion there that Thailand is somehow different in this regard. It is not.

Maybe he is referring to the defamation laws here which are criminal as opposed to civil. so he is right to say that expressing an opinion can lead to jail, which in other countries would lead to paying damages, so in this regard Thailand is different.

Maybe he is referring to the defamation laws here which are criminal as opposed to civil. so he is right to say that expressing an opinion can lead to jail, which in other countries would lead to paying damages, so in this regard Thailand is different.

Countries where an expressed opinion can lead to jail are mostly thought of as dictatorships. In the industrial world there are very few - if any - examples of countries where it would result in paying damages. Defamation should not be mixed up with an opinion. Similarly, defamation is a crime subject to prison term in most western countries, and not civil law.

Edited by Forethat

I'm not disputing that Thailand has laws which differ from laws in other countries, i'm disputing that Thailand is somehow unique in jailing people for expressing an opinion. As an example, there are many countries in which you could be jailed for expressing the opinion that the Holocaust never happened.

For Oovavu and Random:

if you are not religious, this does not exempt you from respecting people who believe, whether they are Buddhists, Muslims or Christians.

I cant respect someone who believes in something without some facts to back it up or at least a plausible explanation otherwise i would believe everything and question nothing. Oh hang on .............this is Thailand:lol:

Mustafa or whatever his name is in jail can rely on his fictitious gods to support him I wont be visiting.

I never mentioned that Thailand was unique in this matter.

It was suggested in what you wrote below:

If you didn't mean to imply that Thailand was unique in jailing people for expressing an opinion, perhaps it would have been better to write "Which in many countries...", rather than "Which in Thailand...".

For Oovavu and Random:

if you are not religious, this does not exempt you from respecting people who believe, whether they are Buddhists, Muslims or Christians.

I cant respect someone who believes in something without some facts to back it up or at least a plausible explanation otherwise i would believe everything and question nothing. Oh hang on .............this is Thailand:lol:

Mustafa or whatever his name is in jail can rely on his fictitious gods to support him I wont be visiting.

Your problem, and is a BIG problem, is the lack of tolerance.

I'm sorry for you

P.S: personally I'm not religious, but I respect them

• Like 1

I never mentioned that Thailand was unique in this matter.

It was suggested in what you wrote below:

If you didn't mean to imply that Thailand was unique in jailing people for expressing an opinion, perhaps it would have been better to write "Which in many countries...", rather than "Which in Thailand...".

]

It's a simple statement of fact. There's no implication that Thailand is unique in this matter at all. If I'd written " Which in Thailand, being the only country in the world where this occurs, can be for having an opinion " then you'd have a good reason for refuting it.

If we're going to go down the route suggested by your good self then a vast number of posts on TVF would have to be along the lines of " My Toyota dealer, like many other car dealers in the world, can't fix my recurring starting problem and are useless ", " My local immigration, like many other immigration departments in the world, demanded tea money for extending my visa" or " My house, like many houses in the world, is prone to flooding during the rainy season"

Hardly scintillating reading is it? :)

"

It's a simple statement of fact. There's no implication that Thailand is unique in this matter at all.

Simple statements of facts can be designed to miselad.

Imagine the impression that would be created by you telling someone who has never visited here this: In Thailand you can be shot down in the street.

That is, is it not, a simple fact? You've omitted to say that it is highly unlikely and that this could occur in just about every country, but that's ok because it's just a simple fact?! I don't think so.

Sometimes it's not only about what you say but what you don't.