Japanese Men Falling In Love With Their Pillows, Etc.

Jingthing

Thailand often follows Japanese fashion/cultural trends so I am wondering if this Japanese thing will spread over here.

Nisan is part of a thriving subculture of men and women in Japan who indulge in real relationships with imaginary characters. These 2-D lovers, as they are called, are a subset of otaku culture— the obsessive fandom that has surrounded anime, manga and video games in Japan in the last decade. It’s impossible to say exactly what portion of otaku are 2-D lovers, because the distinction between the two can be blurry. Like most otaku, the majority of 2-D lovers go to work, pay rent, hang out with friends (some are even married). Unlike most otaku, though, they have real romantic feelings for their toys. The less extreme might have a hidden collection of figurines based on anime characters that they go on “dates” with during off hours. A more serious 2-D lover, like Nisan, actually believes that a lumpy pillow with a drawing of a prepubescent anime character on it is his girlfriend.

In Japan the fetishistic love for two-dimensional characters is enough of a phenomenon to have earned its own slang word, moe, homonymous with the Japanese words for “burning” or “budding.” In an ideal moe relationship, a man frees himself from the expectations of an ordinary human relationship and expresses his passion for a chosen character, without fear of being judged or rejected.

http://www.nytimes.com/2009/07/26/magazine/26FOB-2DLove-t.html?_r=1

Perhaps a business opportunity for the pillow factory manufacturers among us?

post-37101-014223500 1283417998_thumb.jpA little money (for a pillow), have honey ...

Actually I would be surprised if this catches on here. My impression is that Japan is a much more sexually "creative" culture (or kinky if you like) compared to more traditional Thailand where you can't even legally buy a sex toy.

Edited by Jingthing