Thai Army - Heading For The Hot Seat

webfact

ANALYSIS

Heading for the hot seat

By TULSATHIT TAPTIM

THE NATION

gallery_327_1086_15621.jpg

Prayuth

The rise of two military preparatory-school classmates to the highest positions in the Army and the police force seems to give Prime Minister Abhisit Vejjajiva a comfortable feel politically.

Pol General Wichean Potephosree, who is poised to be the new police chief, has the ironic task of trying to avoid creating that kind of impression, despite what looked like a stormy relationship between the government and the police force over the past year.

In an exclusive interview with The Nation yesterday, the unassuming Wichien acknowledged the complexities of his job.

He's taking the police helm at a time when the force is being contemptuously called "tomato" by one side, and picked on for "double-standards" by the other. That is in addition to the fact that the position of police chief was one of the highly politicised issues during the prime minister's initial months in power.

Political wrangling forced General Patheep Tanprasert to work as acting national police

chief, without a royal command confirming his appointment for months. His retirement next month requires a compromising replacement who can also revive a force low on morale and perceived to be deeply involved in politics. Wichean's nomination was relatively smooth, but it was supposed to be the easy part, anyway. What awaits him will be anything but rosy.

"I'm committed to do the right thing, whether it involves annual transfers or issues that can invoke charges of double-standards," he said. His plan - to rebuild police harmony and promote the welfare of the 200,000-plus force - may sound broad, but it seeks to tackle current major problems.

The Police Department's deep-rooted corruption problem has been blamed largely on poor distribution of welfare and retirement insecurity felt by the majority of the police force. That was compounded by red-yellow politics. Wichean is inheriting a force not at its best of times, and one that has to work with one eye on who is going to be its next boss.

"I can't think of myself, of |having to remain in the post until the day I retire if I want to do the right thing," Wichean said.

Wichean's path to the top police job is similar to the circumstances when former general Pow Sarasin got the post in 1987. Both Pow and Wichean were chosen to lead at critical junctures to revamp the force.

Wichean spent the major part of his career as a royal guard before being elevated to the rank of general in 2002. He returned to the police service after the 2006 coup. Although he is widely respected in security circles - an area he considers himself to have sufficient expertise in - he claims no power base among police ranks.

He faces a bigger test than General Prayuth Chan-ocha, who is set to be the new Army chief with a far more consolidated foundation. Prayuth will encounter the same challenge - of how to win the trust of all "colours". Both men were classmates at the Armed Forces Academies Preparatory School Class 12.

Known as appointments that will ensure the political stability of Prime Minister Abhisit, both Wichean and Prayuth, who have a few more years left to serve in the top positions, will be required to serve the country by helping heal the wounds. That means an extremely difficult task of simply doing their jobs.

nationlogo.jpg

-- The Nation 2010-09-03

Talking to a senior policeman about corruption yesterday he voiced despair of any viable solution.

I mentioned a possible huge increase of a junior policeman's salary from 10,000 to 40,000 baht.

It's not enough, he said, they can probable make that now through various methods.

Only harsh punishment coupled with decent salaries will have any effect.

Talking to a senior policeman about corruption yesterday he voiced despair of any viable solution.

I mentioned a possible huge increase of a junior policeman's salary from 10,000 to 40,000 baht.

It's not enough, he said, they can probable make that now through various methods.

This is a great truth and should be implemented. Interesting to see the policeman actually had a solution. But the fish stinks from the head down and changes suggested like this would be welcome and real. Let's see if starting with punishment or the increased salary first will get the ball rolling - I would support this.

aibe980thailadv20100902.jpg

General Prayuth Chan-ocha played a key part in the army's efforts to recapture several key avenues in central Bangkok from protesters in May.

New Thai Army Chief Named

BANGKOK—Thailand's monarch confirmed a hawkish general as the country's next army chief Thursday, a move that means the army is likely to act more decisively to prevent any repeat of demonstrations by supporters of former Thai leader Thaksin Shinawatra that transfixed Bangkok in April and May this year.

In the country's recent turmoil, who heads the army has been a key flashpoint and King Bhumibol Adulyadej's approval of General Prayuth Chan-ocha, a staunch Thaksin foe, will make it harder for Mr. Thaksin to influence politics in his homeland and mobilize his followers, analysts say.

Gen. Prayuth will replace General Anupong Paochinda who is scheduled to retire at the end of September. While Gen. Anupong initially appeared uncertain how to handle this year's massive street protests in Bangkok, even suggesting new elections should be held, Gen. Prayuth, 56 years old, is believed to be much more willing to take a harder line if Thaksin supporters, known as Red Shirts, take to the streets again.

Continues:

http://online.wsj.com/article/SB10001424052748704206804575467333863739588.html

Wall Street Journal - September 3, 2010

Gen. Prayuth, 56 years old

General Anupong retired last month at the mandatory age of 60.

General Prayuth should be the Commander in Chief of the Royal Thai Army (ผู้บัญชาการทหารบกไทย) for the next 4 years. General Anupong held the position for 3 years.

125pxroyalthaiarmyseals.png

Emblem of the Royal Thai Army

This is a great truth and should be implemented. Interesting to see the policeman actually had a solution. But the fish stinks from the head down and changes suggested like this would be welcome and real. Let's see if starting with punishment or the increased salary first will get the ball rolling - I would support this.

If they are making 40k now through various means, then the pay rise would mean they'd be making 70k - hoohaw!!

It seems like the only solution would be to sack everyone and start over.

New Thai Army Chief Named

Gen. Prayuth will replace General Anupong Paochinda who is scheduled to retire at the end of September. While Gen. Anupong initially appeared uncertain how to handle this year's massive street protests in Bangkok, even suggesting new elections should be held, Gen. Prayuth, 56 years old, is believed to be much more willing to take a harder line if Thaksin supporters, known as Red Shirts, take to the streets again.

Continues:

http://online.wsj.co...3863739588.html

Wall Street Journal - September 3, 2010

Has anyone else ever noticed that they never give any career history in the newspapers when these appointments take place? Heaven forbid the public should be given the necessary information to scrutinise these guys. Google any of them and with very few exceptions, there is almost no hard information about them.

Thai Opposition Red Shirts Balk at New Army Chief

Thailand's opposition movement expressed fears Friday over the appointment of General Prayuth Chan-ocha as the new commander of the Royal Thai Army, comparing the general to past military dictators and predicting he will be tougher on dissent. Prayuth's promotion, along with the appointment of a new national police chief, consolidates power in the security forces among officers with strong royalist views.

Thailand's elected Prime Minister is Abhisit Vejjajiva, but his imposition earlier this year of a state of emergency in response to protests by the opposition group known as the Red Shirts has shifted power over security affairs to the hands of a council that includes the army chief, police chief and prime minister. Though the state of emergency has been lifted in most parts of the country, many political gatherings have been banned and websites and community radio stations shut down. Local elections in Bangkok have smoothly proceeded, but there continue to be sporadic grenade attacks in the capital, with many pointing to the Red Shirts as the culprits.

Continues:

http://www.time.com/time/world/article/0,8599,2015922,00.html

TIME magazine - September 3, 2010

• 2 weeks later...

If they are making 40k now through various means, then the pay rise would mean they'd be making 70k - hoohaw!!

I have quite a few friends who are policemen, salary for a newly examined policeman in Bangkok is a bit over 4,000 bath per month + free accomodation. On that they must support their family and children. Since they can't, they do make extra money by other means yes, my friends make about 5,000 to 7,000 bath per month extra, good months up to 10,000 bath per month extra, that's pretty normal for lower grade ordinary policemen in Bangkok. You go and support your family and children for that money for a decade, then come back and post and tell us how it was.

40,000 bath per month? That's a few percent of the police force only making that much.

If the army pay is so low, why all the generals drives Benz, live in luxury hose, and have wealth than shame Bill Gates?

You didn't quote who you answered but I suppose that it was my comment about police salaries for lower grade policemen.

If you think generals have lower grade positions then don't bother posting

Edited by MikeyIdea

I have quite a few friends who are policemen, salary for a newly examined policeman in Bangkok is a bit over 4,000 bath per month + free accomodation. On that they must support their family and children. Since they can't, they do make extra money by other means yes, my friends make about 5,000 to 7,000 bath per month extra, good months up to 10,000 bath per month extra, that's pretty normal for lower grade ordinary policemen in Bangkok. You go and support your family and children for that money for a decade, then come back and post and tell us how it was.

40,000 bath per month? That's a few percent of the police force only making that much.

Do you drive a yellow Hummer? :ph34r:

free accoms.yechh.. the police family I visit it's like slum tenament dwelling,

Do you drive a yellow Hummer? :ph34r:

free accoms.yechh.. the police family I visit it's like slum tenament dwelling,

Nothing yellow or red in my post, just correcting what another member incorrectly posted about police and income. Accommodation sucks, I know, key take-away is that they have no other choice but using it

No Hummer, wouldn't want one, a bit wide for the sois here :)