Visa Extension In Patong

I'm currently on a 60 day tourist visa that expires August 1. I want to get a 30 day extension. I plan to be in Phuket - Patong Beach at the end of the month and think it will be much less hassle if I can get the extension at the Patong immigration office rather than waiting until I am back in Bangkok and going to Suan Phlu.

My question is this: Since my visa doesn't expire until August 1, if I get the extension on July 28 or 29 (last day in Phuket), will I get 30 days from original expiration date (Aug 1) or from the date I get the extension? I want to maximize the number of days for the visa.

Assuming I decide to get the extension in Patong, is it ok to show up in beach clothes at the office? The Patong office is right at the beach so I think they may be less demanding when it comes to attire than a normal immigration office. Does anyone know if they care what I'm wearing? I don't plan on taking any clothes to Phuket other than really casual beach stuff.

I thought a 30 day extension was pretty much automatic when someone has a 60 tourist visa as long as you pay the 1900 baht.  Has this changed?

It is.

5-10 day extensions are normally given to those who arrive without a visa and wish to extend a 30 day on arrival stamp............thats the case in Pattaya anyways.

You should have no problems if you turn up in a decent pair of shorts and tidy t-shirt.

The extension should run from Aug 1............again this is the case in Pattaya and T.I.T. :o

The office told me that they are supposed to give the stamp from the day you walk in but have been generous and stamped me for additional 30 from the end / expiry of the 60 days each time..

Look presentable and be nice and they are a pretty helpful bunch..