Despite Thai Buddhist Holiday Ban, Alcohol Sales Continue, Fueling Road Deaths

webfact

Alcohol sales still found during Buddhist holidays

BANGKOK (NNT) -- Frequent road accidents are still commonplace during the Buddhist holidays given sellers remain oblivious to the law banning the sale of alcoholic beverages during the periods.

Deputy Public Health Minister Dr Phansiri Kullanartsiri stated that a number of entrepreneurs did not comply with the law by selling alcoholic beverages during the Buddhist holidays, including Magha Puja, Vesakha Puja, Asalha Puja, and Buddhist Lent.

182 people were hospitalized from the accidents caused by drunk drivers during the most recent Buddhist holidays, 10 among whom died. More than half of the injured were people under 25 years of age, while youth under 20 accounted for 15%.

Dr Phansiri stressed that the statistics cited could clearly prove that people, especially entrepreneurs were unco-operative with the authorities although the law, which came into effect on July 7 last year, stated that violators would be subjected to one year imprisonment and/or a fine of up to 20,000 THB.

The Deputy Minister hence tasked its officials across the country with controlling the sale of alcoholic beverages, especially to motorists, and asking for cooperation from the public to help monitor it. People should notify the authorities at 02-590-3342 around the clock if they come across illegal sale of alcoholic beverages.

nntlogo.jpg

-- NNT 2010-09-06 footer_n.gif

• Like 1

What a ridiculous report. I always observe the non purchase of booze as it is hard to find but most people who drink, usually have enough intelligence to forward purchase to get them through the holiday. This has little to do with sales causing accidents, it is more about responsible drinking habits. ohmy.gif

According to the Government, people are not able to think ahead and buy alcohol before 2 PM when they want to drink between 2 PM and 5 PM.

So in the Government's view it makes perfectly sense to ban sale of alcohol on public holidays because only people with very very high IQ (those who had iodized salt in their childhood) would have the outrageous idea of buying alcohol the day before.

And nobody can blame the Government for not doing all it can to fight alcoholism. Right? :huh:

• Like 1

I buy my beer once each month. About 12 boxes of large bottles does the trick.

Didn't realise that this level of forward planning intelligence was triggered by iodised salt consumption in my formative years. Maybe I should up the intake, or is it too late in my degenerative years?

But as has already been pointed out, restricting sales at certain times is BS. And why is it considered worse to die on Buddhist holidays, surely more auspicious?. And what on earth prompted the 14:00-17:00 ban, unless buying enough for a massive binge?

Edited by 12DrinkMore
  • Like 2

Didn't realise that this level of forward planning intelligence was triggered by iodised salt consumption in my formative years. Maybe I should up the intake, or is it too late in my degenerative years?

But as has already been pointed out, restricting sales at certain times is BS. And why is it considered worse to die on Buddhist holidays, surely more auspicious?. And what on earth prompted the 14:00-17:00 ban, unless buying enough for a massive binge?

1) The ban of alcohol between 14:00 and 17:00 was for the times that CHILDREN are going home from school and just before "rush hour". Doesn't England etc still have bars close at dinner time?

2) What do you suggest the government do, throw their arms up and just let it happen? At least they are trying.

3) These alcohol bans on Royal days and Buddhist days are ment as a means of RESPECT. Weather it works or not the Thai system is still trying to show respect.

4) I like my beer but TIT and I can take a day off evry once in awhile.

I don't think the bans are ment to impose arrests for some folk sitting at homw on one of these days having a few frosties but to keep SOME hold on the respect. Not easy you must admit but it's not like there are road blocks set upon these days the same a say New Years, Songkran, Christmas etc.

• Like 1

1) The ban of alcohol between 14:00 and 17:00 was for the times that CHILDREN are going home from school and just before "rush hour". Doesn't England etc still have bars close at dinner time?

No, never did as far as I know, that's when they are open, but I've not lived there for three decades. Maybe things have changed. They do issue massive fines and a year's ban on driving if you get caught, and that certainly has a major effect on drinking and driving. But that brings me to the next point, if, as you say, we are protecting the brats on the roads, then maybe the police waving all the kids on motorcycles without helmets (around 99.9999%) out of the school gates should do something? Like sending back nito the school to park the bikes until they have a helmet.

2) What do you suggest the government do, throw their arms up and just let it happen? At least they are trying.

A blanket ban on alcohol sales between 14:00 and 17:00 has probably had zero effect on accidents. It's just another piece of legislation in the books to enable the BIBs to go around and make a few Baht. A campaign, starting in the schools, about "personal responsibility" would go a lot further.

3) These alcohol bans on Royal days and Buddhist days are ment as a means of RESPECT. Weather it works or not the Thai system is still trying to show respect.

Whether somebody has, or has not respect, is surely not dependent on the ability to purchase or consume alcohol? It is down to the individual to decide how "respect" should be demonstrated.

I would not consider that I have more or less respect by not drinking beer on particular days. That is bullshit. I once attended the initiation of a monk, a work colleague, and was taken aback by the whiskey swigging that went on IN THE TEMPLE GROUNDS. One guy even passed out as we did the procession around the temple, we all trooped past him several times.

Time for another beer,

RESPECT, AYE..

The ban of alcohol between 14:00 and 17:00 was for the times that CHILDREN are going home from school and just before "rush hour". Doesn't England etc still have bars close at dinner time?

I don't think the bans are ment to impose arrests for some folk sitting at homw on one of these days having a few frosties but to keep SOME hold on the respect. Not easy you must admit but it's not like there are road blocks set upon these days the same a say New Years, Songkran, Christmas etc.

1.As some others have pointed out, it's nearly impossible to buy alcohol in the large supermarkets or 7-11 between 2pm and 5pm. However that is quite often the time period when most adults are shopping. The amount of lost sales to these large stores must be in the millions of baht.

However I have never had a problem buying a bottle of wine or beer in the local "mom & pop shop. These are also the shops nearest residential areas and easily accessible to teens.

No receipts are issued,no checks can be made by authorities and rarely are.

As for police enforcement on the highways, well out here in Pathum Thani, I think they all take weekends off. Anyone with a brain, knowing a holiday is coming up will, if necessary, stock up on drinks. Simple.

Edited by ratcatcher

You are actually allowed to buy alcohol between 2pm and 5pm, it just has to be more than 10 litres.

I believe you are quite correct in that statement, but I believe it is by the caseload, eg 12 large beers or a flat of 24 cans etc.

I didn't see anything that said it should be by the case load, just that it had to be more than 10 litres. (I think that was the number).

You are actually allowed to buy alcohol between 2pm and 5pm, it just has to be more than 10 litres.

True. Mind you I don't think anyone ever succeeded in explaining the reasoning of this to me. Maybe it's to encourage social skills through group sessions, male-bonding ;)

Edited by rubl

I think it is 5 litres in Makro but I will stand corrected.

As a previous poster reported - just head for the nearest village and ask "Mi box Chang mai ?"

They will sell to you.

True. Mind you I don't think anyone ever succeeded in explaining the reasoning of this to me. Maybe it's to encourage social skills through group sessions, male-bonding ;)

There is no reasoning. It's just normal Thai law.

I think it is 5 litres in Makro but I will stand corrected.

As a previous poster reported - just head for the nearest village and ask "Mi box Chang mai ?"

They will sell to you.

You won't be doing much standing if you drink 5 litres.

The ban of alcohol between 14:00 and 17:00 was for the times that CHILDREN are going home from school and just before "rush hour". Doesn't England etc still have bars close at dinner time?

1.As some others have pointed out, it's nearly impossible to buy alcohol in the large supermarkets or 7-11 between 2pm and 5pm. However that is quite often the time period when most adults are shopping. The amount of lost sales to these large stores must be in the millions of baht.

However I have never had a problem buying a bottle of wine or beer in the local "mom & pop shop. These are also the shops nearest residential areas and easily accessible to teens.

No receipts are issued,no checks can be made by authorities and rarely are.

As for police enforcement on the highways, well out here in Pathum Thani, I think they all take weekends off. Anyone with a brain, knowing a holiday is coming up will, if necessary, stock up on drinks. Simple.

You can buy alcohol between 2pm and 5 pm at all Tesco, Big C or Makro. But you'll have to buy 10 liters of alcohol. You can divide it how you want. Hicks.

Male bonding is one thing, although women are allowed to buy too. You don't need to prove whether you can actually put away the quantity. And it's "10 liters of alcoholic beverage", not "10 liters of alcohol". It doesn't matter whether the alcohol percentage is 4% or 40%.

I think the real reason is that real alcoholics need to be exempted from the law, as they are contributing more to the economy.

Edited by tombkk

What caused this law: Kids buying alcohol afer school.

Who s\tarted it: Purachai (Minister of the Interior at the time)

Sense: None. Fighting symptoms rather than causes.

What a ridiculous report. I always observe the non purchase of booze as it is hard to find but most people who drink, usually have enough intelligence to forward purchase to get them through the holiday. This has little to do with sales causing accidents, it is more about responsible drinking habits. ohmy.gif

Totally agree. What does the government think? They don't think people have stock at home?! Maybe they should just cut down on the darn holidays and take away all the free time?! And I wonder when the government will take away the stupid ban on alcohol during election days? If people can't control their drinking, why should they even be able to vote? Like it really matters anyway? Voting here anyway is like choosing your next politician from a line-up at the police station. You might as well throw darts at a bunch of photos on the wall.

Oh, and about that 11-2pm and after 5pm rule.....what a bunch of crap. Do kids go to school on weekends?

I think if you can produce a foreign passport you should be exempt from all these stupid alcohol ban laws.

The buy bulk policy is for businesses that may need the alcohol (as it was explained to me once at a Big C). Also, they don't expect kids to have enough money to buy such amounts at one time. But if you're a high IQ student, or young entrepreneur, you would know better by pooling your money together with your buddies.

What the government should do is a study as to the times of most accidents. Who wants to bet that right before 2pm or right after 5pm is highest? That's right...the RUSH to the market for beer.

What a ridiculous report. I always observe the non purchase of booze as it is hard to find but most people who drink, usually have enough intelligence to forward purchase to get them through the holiday. This has little to do with sales causing accidents, it is more about responsible drinking habits.

Yes but you're a farang (generally meaning the ability to forward-think).

The problem is these mom 'n pop places who sell at all hours/days. While I don't agree with the banning of the sale of alcohol at a given time/day, they are clearly not interested in observing Buddhist holidays and purely concerned with the all-important baht. Of course, they will and merit-make and make things equal, but how typical eh what what. :bah:

Well... so long as they keep making these ridiculous laws and not bothering to enforce them, we can pretty much do what we like, eh guys?

But they do enforce them. I once tried to buy beer at Carrefour just after 5 once (about 5:02) and the cashier said she couldn't sell it to me because the cash register didn't show it was 5pm yet. According to her the clock was still 4:45. So she couldn't sell it to me for another 15 minutes. (It was too busy to bother going to another register or talk to a supervisor).

Surprisingly? Thailand does not rank high in consumption or alchohol related problems.

UK, Canada, Ozzie, USA, Russia and many Euro countries out guzzle.

http://en.wikipedia....Y_-_WHO2002.svg

http://en.wikipedia...._by_Country.png

http://en.wikipedia....hol_consumption

Not even in the Top 50 in most studies.

not that controlling addictive substances should not be a govt priority

http://www.nationmaster.com/graph/foo_alc_con-food-alcohol-consumption-current

Edited by yellow1red1