Fully Laden Tour Boat Sinks In Pattaya With 19 Korean Tourist Aboard

Rimmer

Fully Ladened Tour Boat Sinks with 19 Korean Tourist Aboard

PATTAYA: -- A speedboat carrying 19 Korean tourists and two crew has sunk in the Pattaya Bay on Thursday morning. Sixteen of the tourists have since been taken to the Bangkok Pattaya Hospital as a precautionary measure.

Pattaya, the 9th of September 2010 [PDN]: The vessel allegedly sank after the hull was breached significantly following a collision with a large piece of driftwood. All twenty-one people aboard the vessel had been issued lifejackets and where rescued shortly after the incident.

Full story HERE

PATTAYA DAILY NEWS

-- 2010-09-09

[newsfooter][/newsfooter]

The article refers to this as a speedboat but with 19 passengers, I'm more inclined to believe this was the alternative Ko Larn ferry that goes to the other side of Ko Larn (NOT the dock with the 7-11) at various hours. Maybe the reporters are using the word "speedboat" so as not to kill ferry traffic but I think based on the number of occupants, this was the alternative ferry. A similar looking ferry transports passengers from Si Racha to Ko Si Chang. I can hear my mother's words always wishing I would never go on those ferries because it's impossible that there are enough life preservers for the number of passengers.

" driftwood", in Thaï waters ? North Korea struck again :ph34r:

or were they benladenED ??

Both crew were hotly discussing the splitting of a tip at the back, none watching the course I'd bet?

Glad there's no horrific tale of maimed tourist for once.

Edited by souvenirdeparis

Can't see why TVers are jumping to conclusions that it's a 'long tail boat' or 'alternative ferry'. If it was fully loaded with 19 passengers it was just as likely to have been a ...err .. speedboat - ie a standard large one off the beach of which there are many. Just as likely it was being driven correctly but fast - difficult to see driftwood at speed. Well-done to the owner-operator for making sure all passengers wore life-jackets; must be a first for a Thai boating accident!

Edited by SantiSuk
  • Like 1

six months back i took proper ferries between surat thani and samui and phangan at the time of the full moon party. very crowded.

bored, i took to counting the visible life jackets and life saving rings.

there might have been one for each ten passengers. this in waters where i have experienced 4 meter swells on sunny days.

the thai attitude to safety is beyond description.

but we all know this already.

great coconut etc trunks are not uncommon in the Thaï seas , so saying "it's difficult to see them' amounts to the reckless driver blurting " It's difficult to see an old lady crossing the street when you drive at 60 miles in town at 5 pm while trying to find a decent rap record and rolling a joint at the same time ".

I once was at a resort where a woman swimming close to the beach was badly wounded on the skull by the hotel's own ferry , " how could I imagine there would be someone swimming there , I didn't even know some people enjoy swimming in the sea , I thought they just bask in the sun safely on the beach".

They don't care, they maï pen raï it.

Edited by souvenirdeparis

Can't see why TVers are jumping to conclusions that it's a 'long tail boat' or 'alternative ferry'. If it was fully loaded with 19 passengers it was just as likely to have been a ...err .. speedboat - ie a standard large one off the beach of which there are many. Just as likely it was being driven correctly but fast - difficult to see driftwood at speed. Well-done to the owner-operator for making sure all passengers wore life-jackets; must be a first for a Thai boating accident!

^^Finally a voice of reason. Anyone who has actually been to Pattaya would know 1.) there are no longtail boats, and 2.) there are literally hundreds of these large speedboats all along the beach that will easily carry 20 people. Why bother posting at all???

Bit like these, ahem, posters below - either of you ever been to Pattaya? Or Thailand for that matter? :rolleyes:

Driftwood? Sh**

Sadly the only thing floating up out off of Pattaya is dead bodies.

I sincerely hope they didn't swallow any of the water because they may yet become seriously ill.

^^Finally a voice of reason. Anyone who has actually been to Pattaya would know 1.) there are no longtail boats, and 2.) there are literally hundreds of these large speedboats all along the beach that will easily carry 20 people. Why bother posting at all???

Bit like these, ahem, posters below - either of you ever been to Pattaya? Or Thailand for that matter? :rolleyes:

Driftwood? Sh**

Sadly the only thing floating up out off of Pattaya is dead bodies.

I sincerely hope they didn't swallow any of the water because they may yet become seriously ill.

Please enlighten me on the fine quality of the water in Pattaya Bay.

You are having a laugh aren't you?

Please enlighten me on the fine quality of the water in Pattaya Bay.

You are having a laugh aren't you?

I never said it was good quality, but to suggest it will make you seriously ill is stretching it somewhat, don't you think?

The article refers to this as a speedboat but with 19 passengers, I'm more inclined to believe this was the alternative Ko Larn ferry that goes to the other side of Ko Larn (NOT the dock with the 7-11) at various hours. Maybe the reporters are using the word "speedboat" so as not to kill ferry traffic but I think based on the number of occupants, this was the alternative ferry. A similar looking ferry transports passengers from Si Racha to Ko Si Chang. I can hear my mother's words always wishing I would never go on those ferries because it's impossible that there are enough life preservers for the number of passengers.

I thought I recall an earlier article indeed described it as a ferry. In any event good call.

so I learn there aren't even long tail boats in Pattaya ? Are they too lazy to take care of wooden ships ?Like, haul them on the beach sometimes and change the seals and paint them anew? Maybe a wooden hull would have whistood the shock.Someone should tell them fiberglass looks modern but is brittle.

Been away from LOS too long, I'll come back and make things straight there asap. :rolleyes:

so I learn there aren't even long tail boats in Pattaya ? Are they too lazy to take care of wooden ships ?Like, haul them on the beach sometimes and change the seals and paint them anew? Maybe a wooden hull would have whistood the shock.Someone should tell them fiberglass looks modern but is brittle.

Been away from LOS too long, I'll come back and make things straight there asap. :rolleyes:

Knum nuts, I work in korea and this makes me sad. I can see your outlook on life. Keep it up buddy. Keep out the water!