Australian Pre-Visa Assessment: Ielts Exceptions?

I have applied and received a full offer from a university in Melbourne for a Bachelor degree course. Because I hold an Indian passport, I have been told that I cannot accept my offer or pay tuition until I submit the application and documents required for a PVA. One of these requirements is a score from an IELTS test.

Are there any exceptions to sitting this English test? Not only does it take up a whole extra month (valuable time, as I can't secure a place for the university course until the PVA has been completed), but it also adds extra expenses.

Are there other ways to prove my English proficiency? I have been in international schools my entire life, and have a high English language grade on an IB Diploma certificate. I've also been accepted into a University course which has high English language proficiency requirements.

I would appreciate any help. I don't want to have to waste a month and almost 6000 baht to prove that I can speak my first language.

Thanks.

You will need an IELTS of 6.0 to meet the English language eligibility requirement (subclass 573 - Assessment Level 4) unless you have studied in English for at least five years in Australia, UK, US, Canada, NZ, South Africa or the Republic of Ireland.

Bridge

You will need an IELTS of 6.0 to meet the English language eligibility requirement (subclass 573 - Assessment Level 4) unless you have studied in English for at least five years in Australia, UK, US, Canada, NZ, South Africa or the Republic of Ireland.

Bridge

Some unis accept a band 4.5 with the proviso the student signs up for foundation English classes. I recently met an English-born white guy who was applying for Canadian PR who had to sit IELTS. Apparently too many immigrants with British passports and no language skills now so governments are forced to request IELTS tests from even native-born Brits in order not to offend the gypsies and Pakistanis who arrived last week.

Bridge

Some unis accept a band 4.5 with the proviso the student signs up for foundation English classes. I recently met an English-born white guy who was applying for Canadian PR who had to sit IELTS. Apparently too many immigrants with British passports and no language skills now so governments are forced to request IELTS tests from even native-born Brits in order not to offend the gypsies and Pakistanis who arrived last week.

The OP is asking whether there is an exception to providing an IELTS grade to evidence English proficiency.

Why does the OP think IELTS will take a month?

My niece is now studying in the UK and she had to take the test a couple of times before she got the required score. (Fine on the reading comprehension. Initially struggled on the verbal comprehension.)

But she took the test twice in one week (was very close to the required score first time, passed it on the second after a bit of practice online.)

I've been told I must register for the IELTS two weeks in advance (there are three tests every month), and will get my results in 13 days, adding up to about a month. But maybe that's just the agency I've applied with.

Does anyone reckon there is still a very small chance of the visa being accepted even without the IELTS score?

If not, I should hopefully be able to submit all my other documents in the meanwhile and give them a date for submission of my IELTS score, speeding up the process.

Thanks for all the help though :)

Edit - The reasons may be obvious but can anyone tell me why being an Indian citizen means this is a 'high-risk' migration? Even when Thailand is on the least-risk assessment level on this scale?

Edited by upagainstawall

I've been told I must register for the IELTS two weeks in advance (there are three tests every month), and will get my results in 13 days, adding up to about a month. But maybe that's just the agency I've applied with.

Does anyone reckon there is still a very small chance of the visa being accepted even without the IELTS score?

If not, I should hopefully be able to submit all my other documents in the meanwhile and give them a date for submission of my IELTS score, speeding up the process.

Thanks for all the help though :)

Edit - The reasons may be obvious but can anyone tell me why being an Indian citizen means this is a 'high-risk' migration? Even when Thailand is on the least-risk assessment level on this scale?

Assuming you're in Bangkok, you don't need to sign up with an agency to take IELTS. The exams are run 2-3 times a week at the British Council and IDP (Silom). Just pay your money and sign up. From the sound of it you should have no difficulty getting Band 6 although you should certainly check out the format of the exam, particularly the requirements for Writing Task 1 and Part 2 of the Speaking Test. The results take 13 days to arrive and you check them online.

Edited by brewsterbudgen