Honda Sonic And Gasohol Vpower 95

Kilgore Trout

I have a new honda sonic; on the tank it reccomends using gasohol or benzine 91 (E10).

I accidently put in gasohol vpower 95.

Does anyone know if this will have an ill effect on the bike? The guy at the pump said it was fine, but don't always trust that those guys know what they are talking about.

Thanks for replies.

• 2 weeks later...

Hi folks, I'm new here (well, new to posting). There's a new Shell station just opened near me in Kathu, Phuket, and yesterday I noticed they have gasahol 95 and also V-power gasahol 95---both E10, both 95 octane, the V-power is 3 or 4 baht more expensive. What is that about, does anyone know?

It also seems that Shell don't sell any straight unleaded anymore, only gasahol.

Just because the octane rating is a little higher, that shouldn't hurt anything, though it is probably a waste of money. The bad thing is gasohol, and that's 10% in either of the two fuels you mention - 91 and 95 - so you're getting the same amount of bad effect there either way. If you can find regular gas it is of course far superior, but if not you have no choice.

Not 91 and 95---both 95! That's the puzzling bit! As I also said Shell no longer sell straight unleaded, it's gasahol or nothing from them (even 91), and if the planned government timetable is implimented (you never know, there's a first time for everything!) there will be, by law, only gasahol by the end of 2011!

Yesterday I called the AP Honda call centre (02-7254000 if it's of any use to anyone) and was assured that E10 (91 and 95) is approved for my bike (CBR 150R). I put in a few litres of (the more expensive) 95 V-Power E10 to try. So far I can't detect any difference in performance, I haven't done many miles yet, though.

...if the planned government timetable is implimented (you never know, there's a first time for everything!) there will be, by law, only gasahol by the end of 2011!

That's scary - didn't know about that, though I had heard they'd eventually do it. Which means those of us with 2-strokes will face a total loss.. or perhaps have to go buy airplane gas if that loophole survives.

...if the planned government timetable is implimented (you never know, there's a first time for everything!) there will be, by law, only gasahol by the end of 2011!

That's scary - didn't know about that, though I had heard they'd eventually do it. Which means those of us with 2-strokes will face a total loss.. or perhaps have to go buy airplane gas if that loophole survives.

I doubt very much that will happen to many Thai enthusiasts about.

I doubt very much that will happen to many Thai enthusiasts about.

No one thought it would happen re: 95 octane. But it did. Shell have already stopped selling straight 91 as well as 95 unleaded (though so far as I know they (Shell) are the only company to do so as yet).

No one thought it would happen re: 95 octane. But it did. Shell have already stopped selling straight 91 as well as 95 unleaded (though so far as I know they (Shell) are the only company to do so as yet).

Well, eliminating 95 octane didn't outright destroy the transportation of 10% of the population, as contaminating all fuel supplies with ethanol would do. True, that is mostly the poorest 10% of the population (though not all - I know plenty of parsimonious old Chinese Thais with millions in the bank driving round on old Belle Rs), but still, it is pretty dramatic.

I'm running Shell V-Power (Gasohol) 95 in my Ducati 999s with no ill effects. As long as the RON rating stays at 95 (in all actuallity, it's probab;y higher in Shell follows it's European trends), the engine won't mind consuming 10% ethanol.I am carefully monitoring my fuel hoses at the moment to see how much the ethanol is trying to permeate through them, I have had some crystalline build-up on the surface of the hoses when my bike was sitting on a battery tender for nearly 3.5 months, but no ill effects so far. I just wiped the very fine crystals off the hoses. I will be ordering ethanol / alcohol resistant hoses and changing the plastic quick disconnects to surgical grade brass / zinc items.

My ECU is adjustable with a PCIII USB attached for different MAP's, so I can very the A/F ratio if needed. Unfortunately the smaller bikes could have this after market option capability but it may be a prohibitive cost for the average small bike rider. I'm actually updating my ECU to a dual lambda system with auto-tune & mapping. It will be way better than my current system and less hands on.

Don't ask how much :lol:

Edited by Garry

Yeah the Ducati you're talking about is a four-stroke. The issue with my old two strokes will probably be more about lubrication than dissolving the parts and hoses.

I have a Honda Sonic 125, didn't know they made them in a 2 stroke?

Yeah the Ducati you're talking about is a four-stroke. The issue with my old two strokes will probably be more about lubrication than dissolving the parts and hoses.

I have a Honda Sonic 125, didn't know they made them in a 2 stroke?

Yeah, sorry. My bringing up the two stroke issue was a bit of a thread hijack. In the case of the Sonic it probably won't be so bad.