Is Tt&t Maxnet Any Good And What Adsl Modem To Buy

I consider myself quite tech savvy but I was wondering if I could canvass some opinions and get little info regarding TT&T Maxnet broadband service and what modem people would recommend purchasing as I do not think the free modem they offer will be any good.

I am considering purchasing the 512/256 connection at 790 bht per month but I am not accepting a 12 month contract instead preferring to pay as I go in case I move house in the next 12 months (this would incur an exhorbitant penalty of 2500 bht plus reinstallation/registration fees even if you wished to continue the service at another location)........ but if I dont accept a 12 month contract will I have to pay a registration fee ??...... Also what is the overall opinion regarding TT&T service and what perils and pitfalls should I be aware of if I choose to install it by myself.

The modem I am thinking of buying is the ZYXEL Prestige 660 R (with router) which I have seen online at J I B Computers for 2020 bht which seems reasonable enough. Any opinions regarding this model or models that I should also be considering

Thanks for you time and replies guys

JAFarang

If you do a little search in the internet and computer forum you will find a long thread started by Monty all about Maxnet

The concensus of opinion is that it is shit

Found it.  Here you go

http://www.thaivisa.com/forum/index.php?sh...pic=39491&st=50

Cheers and thanks for the info, I guess I should be looking for another package but which one is recommended and is it available in the South of Thailand

JA Farang

Too bad the "other" MaxNet thread had to be closed....

I currently have the MaxNet4Home 512/256 service and, as previously mentioned by many, it sucks.

Today, almost every test of international bandwith I have run has indicated download speeds of less than 56K. The adslthailand test always results in 300K +.

So, I gotta change, but I can't afford anything more than the MaxNet4Life 256/128 package.

Does anyone out there have that package? If so, can you comment on the quality of service?

Or, any other recommendations?

TIA

Too bad the "other" MaxNet thread had to be closed....

Ditto that... :o

I currently have the MaxNet4Home 512/256 service and, as previously mentioned by many, it sucks.

Ditto that too... :D

Or, any other recommendations?

I've heard that the Loxinfo DSL-Basic 256/128 Package for 990 baht/month is pretty reliable... any other opinions?

Don't know anybody who has adsl from loxinfo...

I'm now pretty much convinced that you only get what you pay for, regardless of ISP.

The Communications Authority of Thailand, as the sole provider of international bandwidth, charges pretty high fees for their services (roughly 25000 Baht/month/1024kbps).

Hence any ISP offering cheap access will have to use a very high contention ratio just to pay the CAT bill! We cannot expect a private business to sponsor our access from their (or their shareholders) pockets.

So, after having tried a few adsl packages, it seems that the sweet spot seems to be at the 1500 BAht for 256 or 2500 for 512 access price.

I guess yes, the maxnet4life 256/128 will be a lot better/reliable then the maxnet4home 512/256.

I have no complaints from the maxnet4life 512 so far!

I don't know why the other thread was locked, it should be a 'sticky', there as a warning to anyone else like me and you guys who were suckered into the Maxnet scam.

It was diabolical last night, couldnt even open pages, I would have been better off on dialup.

Anyway I'd also be interested in alternative ISPs and packages, I dont mind paying more as long as I get the service I'm paying for :o

Edited by buksida

I don't know why the other thread was locked, it should be a 'sticky', there as a warning to anyone else like me and you guys who were suckered into the Maxnet scam.

Perhaps george could enlighten us with a more comprehensive reason for closure of that thread? :o

It was diabolical last night, couldnt even open pages, I would have been better off on dialup.

Same here... I gave up in the end and watched TV instead. :D

At least the missus was happy... she had my company for a change.

Anyway I'd also be interested in alternative ISPs and packages, I dont mind paying more as long as I get the service I'm paying for  :D

I'll be trying the Loxinfo DSL-Basic 256/128 Package in a couple of weeks... my Maxnet month will have expired and I'll test the waters elsewhere. :D

Let us know how the Lox package goes. We have their corporate ISDN package at work, I can't say I'm impressed, its obscenely expensive and not the quickest connection in the world. That said we don't have a shared IP and its relatively reliable.

The trouble here in Hua Hin is that we don't have the wide range of choice that you guys in Bangers have ... which is also annoying.

Difficult to compare isdn with adsl. isdn is limited to 128kbps, and only if the two channels available are used. If a phonecall is received, the speed automatically drops to 64kbps, which is just a tad faster then dial-up.

And yes, isdn is obscenely expensive, for home use you pay around 30 Baht/hour for 64kbps and 60 Baht/hour for 128 kbps.

I'm an average of 3-4 hours a day online, so it would cost me around 7000 Baht/month :o

Same here... I gave up in the end and watched TV instead.

That's funny. Last night I was getting 200K+ throughput on stateside sites. It was amazing. Thought I was back in heaven. Sucks tonight, though....