New/Old Motorbikes

ClareQuilty

On a recent visit to Khon Kaen I discovered a Yamaha dealer, and a Honda dealer, each with lots of new-old overstocks from 10-20 years ago!

The Yamaha had:

TZR 150s for 60,000

Tiaras from 38,000-40,000

JRS 120s 36-38

Belle Rs 30,000

Alfas 36-38

Mate IIIs 36-38

The Honda had:

Dashs 38,000

Tenas 36-38

Nices 38,000

All were in perfect new condition with just a few kilometers (2-10), hadn't been run in ages I guess, if at all. I wonder if this is rare in Thailand or common.

Would you even be able to register these now?

Also what is the dealer thinking trying to sell such old stock at current prices? knock about 30-40% off those prices and they might sell.

I am always amazed that they do that here. Sit on stock until its worthless then complain about not selling them!

Also what is the dealer thinking trying to sell such old stock at current prices? knock about 30-40% off those prices and they might sell.

I am always amazed that they do that here. Sit on stock until its worthless then complain about not selling them!

Well, I did ask the guy about that, and he said yes, absolutely, he could register them in your name, correct green book, etc. But the question is a good one, because of the issue of the new emissions rules. I guess an unused 1995 Yamaha is just as registrable as an old well-used 1995 Yamaha.

I'm sure the dealer is quite happy to sit on the bikes until he can recoup his full investment - after all eventually they would be worth that to someone, such as a collector. The dealer was obviously very rich and wasn't the least bit concerned about selling them. I got the impression he had specifically ordered a huge amount of the old two-strokes in the year that the two-stroke was being phased out in Thailand.

Interestingly, I was also wondering 'what Thai would buy these', knowing how the Thais have this odd obsession with having new, shiny, up-to-date things. As I waited for them to ready a test-driver for me, a 70+ year old lady pulled up in an ancient Belle R that looked and ran absolutely like new. I struck up a conversation with her, and she confirmed that she had bought the bike recently at this dealer, for the same 30,000 they had quoted me, and that she loved it and it was a great bike. So perhaps their market is decrepit Thais who are (like me) crippled by nostalgia. (after all, everything's only getting worse!) ;)

Well, I did ask the guy about that, and he said yes, absolutely, he could register them in your name, correct green book, etc. But the question is a good one, because of the issue of the new emissions rules. I guess an unused 1995 Yamaha is just as registrable as an old well-used 1995 Yamaha.

I'm sure the dealer is quite happy to sit on the bikes until he can recoup his full investment - after all eventually they would be worth that to someone, such as a collector. The dealer was obviously very rich and wasn't the least bit concerned about selling them. I got the impression he had specifically ordered a huge amount of the old two-strokes in the year that the two-stroke was being phased out in Thailand.

Interestingly, I was also wondering 'what Thai would buy these', knowing how the Thais have this odd obsession with having new, shiny, up-to-date things. As I waited for them to ready a test-driver for me, a 70+ year old lady pulled up in an ancient Belle R that looked and ran absolutely like new. I struck up a conversation with her, and she confirmed that she had bought the bike recently at this dealer, for the same 30,000 they had quoted me, and that she loved it and it was a great bike. So perhaps their market is decrepit Thais who are (like me) crippled by nostalgia. (after all, everything's only getting worse!) ;)

To register them, would it be just a matter of paying the road tax back to the year of manufacture or would it begin like a new bike on the day it gets its green book?

If you ever run across a Kawasaki like this one, let me know.

Was my first legal street bike - 1968.post-81192-010395200 1284259356_thumb.jp

OK seedy, I'll keep my eyes open but I have a feeling they'd have sold one like that long ago for 30-40 thousand! (anyway it seems like there aren't so many Kawasaki dealers around anymore, if there ever were).

OK seedy, I'll keep my eyes open but I have a feeling they'd have sold one like that long ago for 30-40 thousand! (anyway it seems like there aren't so many Kawasaki dealers around anymore, if there ever were).

Thanks CQ - I been lookin' in N America for a while, no luck yet. But you never know - think good thoughts eh !!!

Take care

Going slightly nuts here. I've googled every way I can for Tech & Specifications for the TZ 150, and get ZERO results. I can find info on the TZ 50, TZ 125 and TZ 250, but not the 150. What I'm trying to do is compare the TZR 150 to the Honda CBR 150. I'm looking mainly for horsepower and speed. I found it somewhat interesting that while the CBR 150 is rated at 14 hp, the TZ 125 is rated at 44.

Anyway, if anyone has any info, or can lead me in the right direction for more info on the TZ150, I'd appreciate it.

Thanks.

Going slightly nuts here. I've googled every way I can for Tech & Specifications for the TZ 150, and get ZERO results. I can find info on the TZ 50, TZ 125 and TZ 250, but not the 150. What I'm trying to do is compare the TZR 150 to the Honda CBR 150. I'm looking mainly for horsepower and speed. I found it somewhat interesting that while the CBR 150 is rated at 14 hp, the TZ 125 is rated at 44.

Anyway, if anyone has any info, or can lead me in the right direction for more info on the TZ150, I'd appreciate it.

Thanks.

You cant really compare the TZ150 with the CBR 150..... totaly different bikes. 2 smoker against 4 stroke. Kick start against electric. to pick on a couple of obvious points.

TZ is faster sure.....for a short burst only.

The CBR reportadly is 17hp and will run all day and night at 100 to 120kph. The TZ150 will eat the CBR for top end performance.............for a few kilometers.

I have lost count the number of times a 2 smoker has wound up enough to get past me after I leave them behind at the lights. But I never worry as I I know a few kilometers down the road I will see them standng beside the bike forlornly looking at a cooked engine!! There is a very god reason why manufacturers dont make them anymore, and not only for emmision reductions. they dont want the warrenty claims of blown engines.

I looked very hard at an NSR 150......untill I came to my senses.

Good luck with your choice.

Thanks.

You cant really compare the TZ150 with the CBR 150..... totaly different bikes. 2 smoker against 4 stroke. Kick start against electric. to pick on a couple of obvious points.

The CBR reportadly is 17hp and will run all day and night at 100 to 120kph. The TZ150 will eat the CBR for top end performance.............for a few kilometers.

I have lost count the number of times a 2 smoker has wound up enough to get past me after I leave them behind at the lights. But I never worry as I I know a few kilometers down the road I will see them standng beside the bike forlornly looking at a cooked engine!! There is a very god reason why manufacturers dont make them anymore, and not only for emmision reductions. they dont want the warrenty claims of blown engines.

Thanks. That pretty much answers the question I had.

Thanks.

I had a TZM 150 for a couple of years; great bike and fast as hel_l; but yes, not good for long trips

I would love a dash; just bought a sonic recently; think its the last year they are being made here. Wouldn't want to pay full price for it though.

Will these old bikes run on gasahol? It seems nearly impossible to find regular benzine here in Bkk anymore.

What now? The roads are full of 10-20 year old two strokes up here in Isaan - I have a couple of old Tenas in the 15 year old range myself - and they run fine, still have a lot of power. I can cruise happily town to town at 100 km/h, and they never break down. So I'm not sure why you think they blow their engines or are unreliable.

The only reason anyone stopped making two strokes is because the government forced them to do it through 'emissions' controls.

I would love a dash; just bought a sonic recently; think its the last year they are being made here. Wouldn't want to pay full price for it though.

Will these old bikes run on gasahol? It seems nearly impossible to find regular benzine here in Bkk anymore.

They had maybe around 5-6 Dashs, Kilgore.

I'm pretty sure these will NOT run on gasohol.

Edited by ClareQuilty

[

What now? The roads are full of 10-20 year old two strokes up here in Isaan - I have a couple of old Tenas in the 15 year old range myself - and they run fine, still have a lot of power. I can cruise happily town to town at 100 km/h, and they never break down. So I'm not sure why you think they blow their engines or are unreliable.

The only reason anyone stopped making two strokes is because the government forced them to do it through 'emissions' controls.

A 2 stroker is a good engine, Im not knocking them. Virtually double the power, less moving parts, lighter, cheaper to produce. But...need more maintanence

Yes I know there are many 2 strokes still being used in Isaan, as there are all over Thailand. But not often at sustained high speed cruising. Sure there is no reason a well maintained 2 stroke cannot do that, but well maintained is the key. Unless the reed valves are replaced regulary they have a habit of popping into a cylinder, with the obvious disastrous results. Most Thai owned bikes are not maintained properly and it is always the young hoons that want out speed me. They have never heard of the word "maintainence" From my experience usually with fatal results for them because engine stressed above what they usually do without the due maintenance. Bang!.

I used to race 2 strokes and in 10 years never had an engine failure, because well maintained. The CBR150 engine will go a long long way with virtually no maintainance other than schedualled oil changes. Which incidently I do at half the Honda reccommended milage, mainly because virtually all my running is at sustained revs. maybe Im wasting my money, who knows. But I know it cannot do any harm. There is no oil filter in the CBR150 system.

Im no mechanic, but I would be a little suspect about buying an engine sitting for 10 years without ever being started??? Although maybe those bikes have been started and run periodicly??? But I doubt it.

Unfortunately, now with the demise of the CBR150 ptoduction, there is no similar "Sport Bike" on the market.

I found after riding the CBR where I take off at idle and just wrap on throttle.....very different than having to have a bunch of revs on the 2 stroker to take off, with any haste at all. And plus a big decider for me, was I am too used to hitting the start button. If you stall on take off, as I did because insufficient revs I found it very dangerous to stop, taking the time to open and kick start the bike and go again. In the meantimne the cars are hooting horns behind u. Much easier/safer (on the infrequent time it happens on the CBR) to just pull in the clutch hit the start button and go...without stopping.

Ok, a quick note on the CBR 150. Had one and loved it, although at speeds above 115k it sometimes didn't feel all that stable. I wrote to Honda and asked about a new CBR model with F/I, as a dealer on Huay Kaew swears up and down they are coming out with one "soon". The reply I got from Honda is as follows:

Dear Mr. Dean Marsh

Thank you For your interest in Honda motorcycle.

Now CBR150 is no longer made. Because Caburetor system not making.

Next time all model. Honda still producing Injettion System.

Honda will have new model to in Troduce in the market soon.

Thank you & Best regards,

Customer Relations Dept.

After Market Div.

Now, I wrote back to get clarification as to if it WOULD be a CBR, but have yet to get a reply. On the CBR forum someone said they were able to get the specs on the "new model", and the specs fit another bike (sorry, forget which one at the moment), but not the CBR. All I know for sure is:

A) Honda STILL makes the CBR, as the 15th of September was their "debut" in India, but with carburetors.

B) The English speaking sales rep at the Honda dealership on Huay Kaew swears there will be a new CBR 150, or MAYBE 250 "soon". He even took my name and phone number and promised to call me as soon as they came in.

C) According to the email from Honda, a "new model" will be introduced soon. But, whether its a new CBR, or something else, is anyone's guess. IF it's a CBR with F/I, then there's no question as to what I'm buying.