Feet Cramps

bdenner

This is a problem I do not suffer with in Aus. but here, nightly, I get feet cramps. Always start around 03:00 to 04:00 with a twitching sensation for a few seconds then cramp either/and the mussel through the arch or the one mid top of the foot, on occasions both feet simultaneously.

I’m wondering if it has something to do with not wearing shoes through the day. I only wear them for a couple of hours a month preferring open flip flops or the like. My salt intake (average for a farang) doesn’t vary much no matter where I am but being where I’m located my perspiration level and water intake is up.

What do you think?

More salt.

Foot massage (how often?).

Vitamin supplements (I’m not keen on clinical medicines trying to avoid them as a last resort).

Recommendations.

Thank you in advance.

I would think that it has to do with persiration...doesn't mater if you do not sweat bullets all the time, but you will still lose more body salts in a hot climate.

Maybe an electrolite drink every now and then could help. :o

This is a problem I do not suffer with in Aus. but here, nightly, I get feet cramps. Always start around 03:00 to 04:00 with a twitching sensation for a few seconds then cramp either/and the mussel through the arch or the one mid top of the foot, on occasions both feet simultaneously.

I’m wondering if it has something to do with not wearing shoes through the day. I only wear them for a couple of hours a month preferring open flip flops or the like. My salt intake (average for a farang) doesn’t vary much no matter where I am but being where I’m located my perspiration level and water intake is up.

What do you think?

More salt.

Vitamin supplements (I’m not keen on clinical medicines trying to avoid them as a last resort).

Recommendations.

Thank you in advance.

I find this interesting because I sometimes have the exact same problems. I have lived here for many years now and always wear open toe shoes (sandels) and didn't have any problems until I found a store stocking A&W Root Beer (soda) and got carried away drinking too many of them the first day. That night was the first time I got these foot cramps and they were pretty severe. I still drink the A&W and again if too many get these night time cramps.

Two possiblilities I can think of, too much sugar or too much caffeine. Taking ibrupropen seems to help some. Cramps often are a sign of de-hydration and my understanding (could be wrong) that caffeine exacerbates this as does alcohol :o Interested to see if anyone else had this problem.

I think lack of Magnesium causes it, but checking Wicki I read Potassium.

Just ask in the next Pharmacy, they must know it.

I had to drink a lot when I was in bycicle races. You sweat a lot and your body does not have enough and than you get in the middle of the night cramps, very common thing.

hope that helps

What do you think?

More salt.

Recommendations.

Thank you in advance.

Thanks guys,

Maybe an electrolite drink every now and then could help.
I guess you mean 'Staminade' or the like. Is there an Thai equivalent?
Make sure you drink plenty of water... and no caffeine before you sleep...
Always have a bottle of water close by and normally consume about 1/2 litre through the night. Two cups of coffee in the morning and the very rare Coke through the day. Plenty of water until 'beer o'clock' 16:00 hrs to start of dinner around 19:00 hrs.
Two possibilities I can think of, too much sugar or too much caffeine.
Fortunately I do not have a sweet tooth. My morning coffee is black without sugar. Most of my sugar intake will occur through 'beer o'clock' and the cramps rate a poor second to that indulgence. :o
I think lack of Magnesium causes it, but checking Wicki I read Potassium.
Wicki?

Thanks guys,
Maybe an electrolite drink every now and then could help.
I guess you mean 'Staminade' or the like. Is there an Thai equivalent?

Most Pharmacies have these drinks...can't remember the name though.

What do you think?

More salt.

Recommendations.

Thank you in advance.

i sometimes suffer from similar problem back in the States but has been linked with a stress related illness i suffer from. Have you tried diazpam ?. i have taken it for shakes and or when my nerves are on edge, usually before I go to bed but unfortunatly you are not supposed to drink alcohol but I have never found it a problem. regards. :o

Most Pharmacies have these drinks...can't remember the name though.

It's pronounced something like "gleua-rare"... and comes in little sachets that you tear open and mix with water.

All pharmacies and sometimes 7-11's stock them.

:o

Foot cramps are a regular feature in hot climates. Lack of mineral salts you loose through perspiration. Replacement by "sports drinks" may help to restore the balance.

When severe look for food additives whit lots of minerals. (magnesium Potassium etc.)

Hot showers on feet may help to smooth the cramp out.

Sometimes temperature difference may cause the cramp also (if you use AC in the bed room set on too low temp.)

Foot cramps are a regular feature in hot climates. Lack of mineral salts you loose through perspiration. Replacement by "sports drinks" may help to restore the balance.

When severe look for food additives whit lots of minerals. (magnesium Potassium etc.)

Hot showers on feet may help to smooth the cramp out.

Sometimes temperature difference may cause the cramp also (if you use AC in the bed room set on too low temp.)

I don't have and don't like A/C's but have a ceiling fan and the period of the cramp is about the coolist point of the night. Might try sox. :o

Very interesting.

I occasionally get cramps in one foot.

Always when my feet feel cold.

I have tried upping intake of salt and salts and vitamins.

I had given up and put it down to old age.

Will have to think again

I get cramping of the feet but not because of the reasons previously stated. I get pretty much the same symptoms and it is due to the footwear that i had used. If you think about it, what kind of shoe do you wear in a hot or humid climate? Generally its an open toe sandal or thongs and the like..... This kind of footwear does not offer you the same kind of support for your arches as does a runner or every day worn shoe. Try choosing a sandal that has a kind of built in arch support allready, as did I, and it can offer you some releif from those symptoms.......

I have had the same problem for years here and suspect it to be being barefoot all day rather than the others reasons cited as:

1. Happened long before addicted to A&W Root Beer - and in any case this drink has no caffeine.

2. Am in air conditioned area almost 100% of the time so don't believe it is the temperature.

3. Drink plenty of water and don't sweat that much.

4. Only stress is trying to answer a question without offending.

As soon as I feel it cramping (almost always lying in bed) get feet onto the floor and press lightly and normally this will prevent a full cramp.

You also need to take into consideration the size of your bed. If it is too small and you curl up at the bottom, this can induce cramp, especially if you are not used to such sleeping postions.

Much of the discussion above -re electrolite salts- would only be true if you sweated PROFUSELY on a regular basis. As Lopburi3 has already said, you should feel it coming on before it happens fully: try to remember your sleeping position and consider whether that is a contributing factor (often the case) or not.

I get cramping of the feet but not because of the reasons previously stated. I get pretty much the same symptoms and it is due to the footwear that i had used. If you think about it, what kind of shoe do you wear in a hot or humid climate? Generally its an open toe sandal or thongs and the like..... This kind of footwear does not offer you the same kind of support for your arches as does a runner or every day worn shoe.  Try choosing a sandal that has a kind of built in arch support allready, as did I, and it can offer you some releif from those symptoms.......

Never heard of wearing a thong affecting the feet before. One learns something new every day. :o